Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Warning to people who buy on Reverb.com

What's Hot

Comments

• Hick81Hick81 Frets: 122
    In theory though, if you return the guitar back to Reverb (Amsterdam) you’ll get your money back? Whilst the increased postage costs is a bit of a sting hopefully the bulk of your outlay is recovered. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for the heads up. Looks like I’ll stick with eBay and keep doing what I do now; wait for the £1 final value fee offers and stick it up for 30 days. I’m paying 3.5% + £1. No need to go elsewhere and potentially get myself into a pickle. 
    FYI the £1 final fee listings are only within the first few days. For any period thereafter (even if you list for 30 days) normal fees apply.
    That’s incorrect, the £1 fee applies for the whole 30 day (or however long) listing period 
    Yes, the £1 fee lasts for the duration of the initial listing.  However, if you elect for automatic relisting if it doesn't sell, then it reverts to standard fees.  If it doesn't sell, wait for another £1 fee promotion then list again.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I’ve had good experiences in the main with reverb, buying and selling, though I did get screwed over to some extent by a US buyer, so I don’t sell to the US. I didn’t go for the Reverb help option there because in the end it was just easier and cheaper to refund the fantasist half his money and move on rather than pay for return shipping (which I would have done if he’d been closer). 

I’ve found Reverb to have more of the interesting gearheads that there used to be on eBay and forums of old, had some great conversations with interesting people as a result. No doubt it’ll get infested by the scammers and the try-before-buy types eventually but at least Reverb has a better returns process.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWynd said:
    Thanks for the heads up. Looks like I’ll stick with eBay and keep doing what I do now; wait for the £1 final value fee offers and stick it up for 30 days. I’m paying 3.5% + £1. No need to go elsewhere and potentially get myself into a pickle. 
    FYI the £1 final fee listings are only within the first few days. For any period thereafter (even if you list for 30 days) normal fees apply.
    I've never found. that to be the case. Once they send you an offer for £1 selling, provided you list it within the offer period (usually 2 - 4 days), if that item sells within 30 days then you are only charged £1 selling fee by eBay. Has it changed recently?
    This has been my experience... i think It only changes after 30 days...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Oh, and Im out with Reverb then...
  • hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1422
    Hick81 said:
    In theory though, if you return the guitar back to Reverb (Amsterdam) you’ll get your money back? Whilst the increased postage costs is a bit of a sting hopefully the bulk of your outlay is recovered. 

Yes I will. And that’s currently what I’m planning to do.
  • JezWynd said:
    Thanks for the heads up. Looks like I’ll stick with eBay and keep doing what I do now; wait for the £1 final value fee offers and stick it up for 30 days. I’m paying 3.5% + £1. No need to go elsewhere and potentially get myself into a pickle. 
    I've never found. that to be the case. Once they send you an offer for £1 selling, provided you list it within the offer period (usually 2 - 4 days), if that item sells within 30 days then you are only charged £1 selling fee by eBay. Has it changed recently?
    This has been my experience... i think It only changes after 30 days...
    I've gone back and looked at the current £1 offer T&Cs and you are all correct.
    I got caught out once in the last 3 months and had to call them to sort it out but I think that was one specific offer that differed from the norm.
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1297
    Now I wish I read this thread before ordering a fender strat from France yesterday afternoon, my first purchase on reverb, apart from a £2 clip on tuner offer we all fell for.
    Hope it all works out for ya, I believe you're still in good hands cuz you've paid with paypal, regardless of reverb being bad or good.

• leerockerleerocker Frets: 607
    edited February 2019
    I also have an ongoing problem with reverb as well ,  long story short, bought something before xmas was supposed to be mint and new etc and its not working right and pictures were nothing like what turned up had to get credit card department involved , still trying to resolve it but i can safely say i will not be buying off reverb again, buyer protection on there is pretty much useless
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10229
    edited February 2019
    No, it’s for 30 days. I’ve been using it for years now. Never been stung like that. 

Edit: ah I see you’ve seen the T&C. Start selling!
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10229

KrisGee said:
    Now I wish I read this thread before ordering a fender strat from France yesterday afternoon, my first purchase on reverb, apart from a £2 clip on tuner offer we all fell for.
    Hope it all works out for ya, I believe you're still in good hands cuz you've paid with paypal, regardless of reverb being bad or good.

That tuner is the worst tuner I’ve ever used. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1422
    edited February 2019
    KrisGee said:

Yes I agree. I feel safe knowing I’ve still got my PayPal protection, even given the circumstances. And chances are you’ll be fine with your guitar.

KrisGee said:

My one year old loves putting it on his ukulele, it never stays in tune, and that tuner doesn't help much lol.

hyperben said:
    KrisGee said:

Yes I agree. I feel safe knowing I’ve still got my PayPal protection, even given the circumstances. And chances are you’ll be fine with your guitar.
    I shall report when it arrives (or not) just as an advice for others thinking to shop on there. 
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Wow - that crosses reverb off my list of places I was looking for an old guitar.  
    Good luck and I hope you get a positive conclusion!
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5170
    Our Reverb contact hasn’t been on here since October last year.... Be nice to know their stance B)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    KrisGee said:

KrisGee said:

My one year old loves putting it on his ukulele, it never stays in tune, and that tuner doesn't help much lol.

hyperben said:
    KrisGee said:

I shall report when it arrives (or not) just as an advice for others thinking to shop on there. 
    Actually, given the amount of recent reverb related threads I've decided to cancel my purchase and requested a refund. Hope this will be easier to handle by reverb as my guitar hasn't been shipped yet. Messaged seller through reverb website as well as requested refund directly from paypal. 
    Never got stung buying on ebay so i'll stick to them and their buyer's protection. Better safe than sorry.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Just pulled a listing I had on there. Not an item I’m willing to be messed about with. Where companies provide poor service they should be held to account.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Hydra19Hydra19 Frets: 329
    hope you get your refund quickly, I have been waiting 2 weeks now for an item that I cancelled before the buyer even had a chance to ship, tells me i must return item that was never shipped before I can get my refund :)

A couple of months ago I bought a pedal, attempted delivery but to a non-existent address so I wasn't sure if it was the seller or USPS putting a non-existent address, even though I paid via PayPal with my confirmed address on there. Either way after waiting 2 weeks for delivery I had to cancel the item as I was leaving USA and ended up waiting 5 more weeks for the refund. 
  • John_P said:
    Wow - that crosses reverb off my list of places I was looking for an old guitar.  
    Good luck and I hope you get a positive conclusion!
    +1.  Thanks for the warning and good luck with getting your money back OP, please let us know what happens.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9317
    If I use reverb now, I buy from a store. My only purchase from a “person” was a faulty pedal. I was on holiday, came back to find it not working and reverb said tough as I’d had it more than 7 days, which was their policy at the time (not sure if it still is). 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom