Cheaper Fender Investments?

What's Hot
ParkerParker Frets: 960
Just noticed Fender seem to have slimmed their offerings a little. With Cabronita and Starcaster noonger in the current catalogue, wondering they may be future rarities. The original Starcaster doesn’t exactly command huge figures, but thinking relatively. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I doubt any current or recent production Fenders could ever realistically be called 'investments'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30310
    Unless you expect to live for another 80 years or so.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    The original custom shop single pickup Cabronitas I can see doing something in the future - I certainly see them as quite iconic and I’d certainly like one !!
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5452
    Sassafras said:
    That long from now they’ll be more valuable as firewood during a seemingly endless nuclear winter...
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9378
    dindude said:
    The original custom shop single pickup Cabronitas I can see doing something in the future - I certainly see them as quite iconic and I’d certainly like one !!
    I’d like to think so as they’re extremely rare, but I sold my white for £1900 and I think the sonic blue that was on this forum (I now have) went for similar money. World guitars have a 2 pickup at £3k, but it’s been there a couple of months and they’ve plugged it a lot of Facebook and their home page etc. I’ve always fancied the 2 pickup model because it had the classics rather than powertrons, but I’m not paying 3k for used custom shop, regardless of how rare
    chris78 said:
    dindude said:
    I’d like to think so as they’re extremely rare, but I sold my white for £1900 and I think the sonic blue that was on this forum (I now have) went for similar money. World guitars have a 2 pickup at £3k, but it’s been there a couple of months and they’ve plugged it a lot of Facebook and their home page etc. I’ve always fancied the 2 pickup model because it had the classics rather than powertrons, but I’m not paying 3k for used custom shop, regardless of how rare
    Is there any reason the CS wouldn’t just make one to order? In which case a used one could never be worth more than the cost of that at worst. 

Maybe they won’t for some reason, I’m not sure. 

• At the time they were
    limited edition and the custom shop would only make them if you went master built
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I doubt any current or recent production Fenders could ever realistically be called 'investments'
    I see people viewing modern guitars as investments like the people who buy collectable action figures and keep them in their packaging because Star Wars figures from the 80s are worth a lot in their original packaging.

Or am I wrong and there is evidence of guitars from the past 25 years increasing in value (a) at all, (b) above inflation?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9737
    I see people asking what I consider to be ridiculous money for old Japanese Squiers and wonder if that’s where the investment potential lies. I mean, if (when?) Fender stop building the Classic Vibe series I rather suspect that decent examples will fetch good money.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    HAL9000 said:
    I see people asking what I consider to be ridiculous money for old Japanese Squiers and wonder if that’s where the investment potential lies. I mean, if (when?) Fender stop building the Classic Vibe series I rather suspect that decent examples will fetch good money.
    They must be a contender for the most hyped guitars in internet history
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 660
    thegummy said:
    HAL9000 said:
    They must be a contender for the most hyped guitars in internet history
    People also ask silly money for Japanese Fenders.... secondhand AVRI prices.

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14572
    Parker said:
    future rarities.
    The key word here is rarity. In order to be meaningfully rare in the medium term future, a guitar needs to be fairly rare in the present.

From the Pre-CBS era, great fuss seems to be made of infrequently used Ducco paint colours. In extreme cases, these colours were so infrequently used that they will be suspected of being refinishes.

In recent decades, Fender USA has been churning out limited edition short run "special" editions of their guitar and bass designs. In some examples, the limiting factor is that the supply of materials from which the instruments were built has been exhausted. 

The original run of Brown's Canyon/Old Growth Redwood Telecasters and Stratocasters sold out. Fender managed to rustle up some additional ex-railroad lumber to build a second batch. As far as I can ascertain, that is the end of that. No more elderly redwood, no more redwood guitar bodies.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7162
    I doubt anyone will care about vintage guitars in a few generations. As it'll be so niche, kids are bored of guitar and more into vintage Nintendo gear. 

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4942
    Whitecat said:
    Sassafras said:
    That long from now they’ll be more valuable as firewood during a seemingly endless nuclear winter...
    The spirit of optimism shines through!
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3595
    I think longer term 'investment' in guitars is probably a bad move. All the middle age 'collectors' with disposable cash will be looking to divest themselves in 20 years (or dead leaving thier estates with the problem). Other than museum quality classics or artist associated items there will be a glut of nice used instruments and fewer enthusiastic buyers in the west. Any new market would be in Asia/China and the young affluent generation there are not into guitar based rack n' roll.
  • Dave_VaderDave_Vader Frets: 360
    thegummy said:
    I doubt any current or recent production Fenders could ever realistically be called 'investments'
    I see people viewing modern guitars as investments like the people who buy collectable action figures and keep them in their packaging because Star Wars figures from the 80s are worth a lot in their original packaging.

Or am I wrong and there is evidence of guitars from the past 25 years increasing in value (a) at all, (b) above inflation?
    Don't know about guitars, but that copy of Walking Dead #1 I sold for £80 just before the TV series started will argue with you about new collectables not ever being worth a surprising amount.
    I refuse to google how much it's worth now - it always makes me cry. It only cost me £3 on the day it came out.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9378
    Whitecat said:
    chris78 said:
    dindude said:
    Is there any reason the CS wouldn’t just make one to order? In which case a used one could never be worth more than the cost of that at worst. 

I got told they wouldn’t when I tried last year. The custom shop didn’t want to devalue models out there. They’ll make you a tele with tv jones, but not a la cab
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    I think people are forgetting something.

The generation behind us are paying three times as much for their education and six times as much for their housing as the average person did 25 years ago. 

Im not sure there will be a middle class in 25 years time. The ability to acquire assets is being eroded. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    chris78 said:
    Whitecat said:
    chris78 said:
    dindude said:

I got told they wouldn’t when I tried last year. The custom shop didn’t want to devalue models out there. They’ll make you a tele with tv jones, but not a la cab
    Fair enough. 
  • rossirossi Frets: 1707
    The real money in collecting anything is paying virtually nothing for it when its not seen as valuable .Hence Star wars in boxes unopened  ,old Dinky toys never played with ,early Fenders that were unappreciated and modified to death abused etc .My mate has a  very early Pbass that had already had its paint removed long  before 1964 when he bought it  and rattle canned it .A guy I know bought 5 Ferraris incluing GTO;s Lussos  and a 250 SWB .when he bought then they were not worth a huge amount though still expensive.He inherited a farm and started buying classic cars but before anyone else .My Uncle bought a cheap  1939 Lincoln Zephyr  V12 in the 50's and used it to chug around in with the kids .He later restored it perfectly and its worth a fortune buyt at the time he bought it virtually worthless .Another guy bought 3 Bugattis for 50 quid each after the war .Sadly he sold them and didnt reap the huge sums they are worth now but did make a nice little earner .The thing is few wanted them at the time .A modern Fender has no value other than its label price because its easy to make  another one .