How many types of drive do you need?

What's Hot
menamestommenamestom Frets: 4724

I've always had one or 2 dirt pedals, nothing too specific but usually a transparent, nearly always on pedal that adds grit when pushed (Timmy, SHOD etc) and something with more gain.  I've not thought too much about the 2nd pedal in terms of e.q. -  more in terms of having a bit more gain. 

But now I'm thinking I should have more flavours for different applications.  I usually like the sound I get but always seem to miss something.  So now I'm thinking I should get at least:-

Mid humpy boost (Klon, TS - boost along the line for solos)
Transparent OD (nearly always on)
MIAB (swap for the transparent for rockier songs)
Fuzz 

Pedal specifics aside what categories of drive do you usually have available?

Note I play into Fender amps with no drive channel, If you already play into an amp with gain you will probably just need an SD1 or similar.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    Answer - always one more ;)

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6898
    Judging by my collection- about 10! Or 15!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    Strymon sunset, all the overdrive I need.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    OD-2 .for a little bit of gain.
    Pork Loin for a bit more.
    Fat Sandwich for even more.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17652
    tFB Trader
    Are you gigging?

I'd say stick with as few as you can otherwise you just end up tap dancing and it detracts from your performance.

I've always had something boosty and something rock rhythm flavoured that stack for solos.

I sometimes add a fuzz or heavy drive if required but you can do most gigs with 2.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4726
    edited March 2019
    I've never understood the obsession by some folk with the need for umpteen distortions on their board. I very much doubt the audience could tell the difference at gigging volumes in a mix.  Even when I was using my pedalboard, I could get a huge variation of distortion tones with a Marshall Guvnr 2, Behringer TO800, Boss CS3 compressor and GE7 EQ.  It's amazing what an EQ can do to. I have a Jackhammer too but just prefer the Guvnr.

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6728
    edited March 2019

Fuzz Face
    Treble Booster
    Light OD
    Distortion
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Through my PRRI I use 3x drives, The Boss SD-2 crunch side for a boosted slightly dirty clean, the red side on the SD-2 for lead or heavy riffage. I also use an OD-1 for light grit and to give me that vintagey flavour of OD. But since owning an OD-2 things have changed as I now prefer OD-2’s thick turbo lead sound. I even use my FZ-2 to add fuzz to my heavily overdriven stuff. I’m forever changing my mind.
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    I probably have more OD/distortion than any other (who hasn't?), but when I played more guitar (I play more bass th we days) I frigged about with pedals for more time than enough but preferred a two-channel amp
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    As far as pedals go I have an OD for rhythm, an OD for a boosted ‘bluesy’ lead tone and a fuzz for all out sustained lead. But I’ll tend to use OD and distorted tones from the amp where I can.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27139
    At home, as many as you like. 

For gigging, I’d always go max 3 - something light, something less light and something clean-boosty for solos
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    At home, as many as you like. 

For gigging, I’d always go max 3 - something light, something less light and something clean-boosty for solos
    Totally agree. Clean - Dirty - Lead/Louder is the best for gigging in my experience. Most nuances get lost on the audience and if you have too many different levels and EQ’s to manage, the sound guy/girl hates you. 

At home, all the marbles. 
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4724
    Are you gigging?

I'd say stick with as few as you can otherwise you just end up tap dancing and it detracts from your performance.

I've always had something boosty and something rock rhythm flavoured that stack for solos.

I sometimes add a fuzz or heavy drive if required but you can do most gigs with 2.

Yeah, gig once or twice a week, but would probably keep is simple for that band.  I know what you mean, the more gains and volumes you get the more complex is all gets, but would like certain sounds on my board for certain occations (I play in 2 other bands and there’s always various projects to jump on).
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    Crikey 3 bands and open to other projects! I take it you don’t fancy the modelling/multi fx route?
    JDE said:
    Crikey 3 bands and open to other projects! I take it you don’t fancy the modelling/multi fx route?
    Just sold my helix LT, hence the madness!
    (new board has a HX stomp in so do have the choice, just like combo of multi and analog dirt). 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9583
    - A Blues Breaker
    - A Tubescreamer 
    (Both Duellist)

- A Klon (RYRA)
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1563
    For tonight’s gig I’m going with a Klone>Lazy J Cruiser>Thorpyfx Gunshot

Should cover most bases, especially when stacking.
  • ewalewal Frets: 2594
    If you include boosts, I've got six. An always on boost at end of chain, then on HX Effects I toggle between SD1 and OCD. I have another boost at start of chain, more for experimental purposes to compare with other boost. I've got a Black Secret second last on chain after reverb and delay for those white noise moments and a Carcosa before reverb and delay for not quite white noise moments.

I could easily ditch either Carcosa or Black Secret, and one boost.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience

Okay tonight, I’ve got one - a Nobels ODR-1.
    But it’s an acoustic band, I’m the only electric, no drums, so I don’t need 4 stages of trying to get louder than the other noisy feckers  :)
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    Sassafras said: mm
    OD-2 .for a little bit of gain.
    Pork Loin for a bit more.
    Fat Sandwich for even more.
    I feel hungry.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.