soma1975 said:

Fuzz Face
    Treble Booster
    Light OD
    Distortion
    Nailed it in one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7810
    Thanks to amp having a good dirt channel and a footswitchable "hotrod" switch I don't need any drive pedals at all :)
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2199
    Into a clean amp, whether it's separate pedals or a MultiFX unit, I like to have two drives. One for a light crunch OD and the other for more full-on distortion.

I also like to have two levels of clean boost (post OD/distortion), with one at ~3dB for a slight lift (if needed) and one at ~6dB (e.g. for solos). Sometimes I add boost and back off the guitar volume pot to get different flavours of sound from the OD and distortion pedals.

It's not a competition.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72505
    Four at most.

Fuzz
    Overdrive
    Distortion
    Amp

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    Dirt pedals tend to have narrower windows of applicability, I think. Amp distortion is a bit more reactive to playing style, so you can get it to work in more circumstances, but with pedals, what sounds great for one song/ part/ riff/ guitar can sound bad with something else.

That's a huge generalisation, obviously, but it's what I found. Also doesn't mean that drive pedals are less good - I love them. But when I was getting drive mostly through pedals, at times I had a TS type, a more transparent low-gain, a mid gain, a high gain, a fuzz, a clean boost and I didn't think any of them were superfluous - even if I only used a pedal for one song in ten, it was there because I needed it for that one song.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    Freebird said:
    Sassafras said: mm
    OD-2 .for a little bit of gain.
    Pork Loin for a bit more.
    Fat Sandwich for even more.
    I feel hungry.

So you should, it's a tasty combo.
  • Th4fonzTh4fonz Frets: 247
    The Duellist covers my needs for home use.  And I dont find myself searching for something better since I got it.
  • Grocer_JackGrocer_Jack Frets: 258
    Usually for gigs -  Bad Monkey with drive rolled all the way off for always on rhythm tone. Then Barber Gain Changer on low gain setting with gain half way for a extra boost for big chords, solos, loud bits etc.  Also on the board is a Les Lius which I use on 3 or 4 songs instead of the BM/GC combo. I could get away without the LL but it gives a nice contrast and a bit extra jangle for tunes that need it. 

For studio as above, but also use Fulldrive or Barber Direct Drive to get solos to really sing and also sometimes use a Black 65 as a different base tone. It's good to get a bit of contrast on a recording and I find that slight changes in tone create interest. Not sure anyone really notices though! 
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    - A Blues Breaker
    - A Tubescreamer 
    (Both Duellist)

- A Klon (RYRA)
    That's a very beige list of beiginess 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2289
    I currently run 3 on my big board, in this order:

- Danelectro Transparent Overdrive v1 - cheeky Timmy Clone
    - Boo Instruments O/D-TS - blatant TS808 clone
    - Xotic Effects SL Drive - in Marshall Super Bass mode

I could live with 2, in fact the Dano only recently replaced a wah pedal that I almost never used.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3594
    The danger with stacking drive pedals live is in the varied volume levels the different combinations can give. Having three distinct pedal sounds gets me what I need without bending and twiddling mid set. My choices won't be yours so try what you can get your hands on.

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17652
    tFB Trader
    ESBlonde said:
    The danger with stacking drive pedals live is in the varied volume levels the different combinations can give. Having three distinct pedal sounds gets me what I need without bending and twiddling mid set. My choices won't be yours so try what you can get your hands on.

It's ok if you are careful. You need to make sure that you don't have things like a clean booster slamming a MIAB into a clean high headroom amp. Turn off the pedals in the wrong order and you get a new insanely loud clean sound.