Blues 2019: the new golden era

What's Hot
TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
For those into guitar based blues music, this is surely the best era since the 70s or 80s. So many world class players (older and younger) touring heavily these days. Literally too many to name.

Even better, many keen to teach...new Truefire courses out or due soon from Matt Schofield, Josh Smith, Kirk Fletcher and Robben Ford! 

Seems blues based guitar music is all the rage again. Plenty more to carry the torch now Clapton is winding down. For a while it looked like most of that weight would be on Bonamassas shoulders.
4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    Even unknown young bucks like this “Mustaine” character are on the bandwagon....https://youtu.be/fxaiWqPNzEM
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    edited March 2019
  • jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2467
    And this guy Jimmy D Thorn is great  ;)
    https://youtu.be/bfPoxY2pB1Q
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    sweepy said:
    Worth checking out too

Another one for the list, thanks!
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    To be fair, we need all that good stuff to counteract the new Yngwie album...
    6reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    Speaking of which Josh Smith is doing a UK tour this month and a masterclass at Peach....
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6692
    My current fave for actual songs as well as amazing guitarinating has to be Marcus King. He’s incredible and soulful and funky as hell.. 

My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • heavyrockerheavyrocker Frets: 810
    There are some outstanding players around nowadays. Where they are lacking imo is on the songwriting front. None of them has written anything that’s even approaching the same league as Clapton in his heyday.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    There are some outstanding players around nowadays. Where they are lacking imo is on the songwriting front. None of them has written anything that’s even approaching the same league as Clapton in his heyday.
    Hard to get your heart broken when your groupies are too busy taking photos of your pedalboard 
    12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6684
    I hadn't come across Jimmy D Thorn. I love the way he does no nonsense, soulful playing where every note has a value. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    Anything more along the lines of Jack White & that dirty blues style of The White Stripes that people can recommend? Not too much of a fan of Mayer/Bonamassa, but I'm always down for some genuine attitude & emotion.
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4215
    Tenebrous said:
    Anything more along the lines of Jack White & that dirty blues style of The White Stripes that people can recommend? Not too much of a fan of Mayer/Bonamassa, but I'm always down for some genuine attitude & emotion.
    Get hold of a compilation album. from Fat Possum records called “Not The Same Old Blues Crap”. 
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1374
    Lewy said:
    Tenebrous said:
    Get hold of a compilation album. from Fat Possum records called “Not The Same Old Blues Crap”. 
    Yeah defo a good start point with the Fat Possum stuff. Junior Kimbrough, RL Burnside, Bob Log III, indie brummie heroes Black Mekon. The Sunday Nights album (a tribute to Junior Kimbrough) has the Stooges, Black Keys, Jon Spencer on it but some lesser known guys too. Heartless Bastards do a particularly killer "Done Got Old".
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    Agreed, I hear some great guitar playing but cringe at some of the lyrics and songs, even the lack of imagination with melody. Where are the rest songs? I think of Peter Green, Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, great guitar with some great original songwriting at times too.

• lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2528
    Tenebrous said:
    Early Black Keys = dirty garage blues
    edited March 2019
    soma1975 said:
    My current fave for actual songs as well as amazing guitarinating has to be Marcus King. He’s incredible and soulful and funky as hell.. 

I think he’s a musical genius in terms of virtuosity. I saw him in a tiny venue in Glasgow last year and was standing 2 feet from the stage. His ability on guitar equals virtually anyone.

@heavyrocker I think that’s a fair comment. I do think though that history will view Clapton as one of the greatest composers in this genre of all time so a difficult guy for anyone to equal. The fact that he’s written 2 versions of the “same” song in Layla that are as good in their respective electric rock and acoustic genres is an example. Hendrix likewise.
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4215
    edited March 2019
    Agreed, I hear some great guitar playing but cringe at some of the lyrics and songs, even the lack of imagination with melody. Where are the rest songs? I think of Peter Green, Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, great guitar with some great original songwriting at times too.
    I think this is a bit of a scourge across the new generation of roots musicians as a whole whether it's blues, bluegrass, folk, whatever...the standard of instrumental chops is through the roof but the standard of lyric writing is at times comically bad, and generally poor. I do sometimes wonder if it's down to the fact that when you see the latest crop of next-big-things a lot of them are highly schooled conservatoire grads operating in the roots realm, as opposed to people who've come up living and breathing it. But I also wonder if the channels by which they get exposure...especially instagram...render things like thoughtful lyrics a bit of an irrelevance....ok, got my killer guitar part, the drummer is in a good lighting situation...right, where did I leave my rhyming dictionary?

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7422
    sweepy said:
    Blues is a vocal artform - they should get a singer 
    Red ones are better. 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7422
    And this guy Jimmy D Thorn is great  ;)
    https://youtu.be/bfPoxY2pB1Q
    Nice 
    Red ones are better. 
    edited March 2019
    Lewy said:
    I think this is a bit of a scourge across the new generation of roots musicians as a whole whether it's blues, bluegrass, folk, whatever...the standard of instrumental chops is through the roof but the standard of lyric writing is at times comically bad, and generally poor. I do sometimes wonder if it's down to the fact that when you see the latest crop of next-big-things a lot of them are highly schooled conservatoire grads operating in the roots realm, as opposed to people who've come up living and breathing it. But I also wonder if the channels by which they get exposure...especially instagram...render things like thoughtful lyrics a bit of an irrelevance....ok, got my killer guitar part, the drummer is in a good lighting situation...right, where did I leave my rhyming dictionary?

Agreed. I guess it could be argued (and I’ve heard Bonamassa saying this in an interview) that all the blues songs have been written already.

Mabye that’s why a guy like Gary Clark jr comes on the scene billed as a blues-man but his albums are very much more fusion/soul/r&b with a blues influence (to my ears anyway). 

Walter Trout’s post liver transplant album “Battle Scars” is a good example of solid song writing and meaningful lyrics within a typical blues form. I’ve seen him live a couple of times and he means every word/note. He tends to joke about the depressing nature of songs from that album before he starts!