Blues 2019: the new golden era

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    edited March 2019
    I’ve tried so hard and I can’t tell you how many Sayce/Scofield/etc albums I’ve bought and I don’t make it past the second song despite the awesome guitar playing, and don’t get me started on the actual music of the YouTube lot, love a lot of these guitar players but song quality is definitely inversely proportional to YouTube presence.

slightly cheesy with a country ting, but give me this any day.

https://youtu.be/Utnq3UpwpfU
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    TINMAN82 said:
    fandango said:
    TINMAN82 said:

@heavyrocker I think that’s a fair comment. I do think though that history will view Clapton as one of the greatest composers in this genre of all time 
    I am not sure where you got the idea that Clapton was/is a great songwriter. Most of his albums feature cover versions and songs penned by others. Journeyman only featured one Clapton song, and even that was with a joint composer (Robert Cray). Old Sock doesn’t feature a single Clapton-penned song. And we all know that it was Dwayne Allman who made Layla the great song We all know and love.

Yes, EC did write a few, but if you want to talk prolific song-writing guitarists, then look no further than Frank Zappa. However, he’s not blues, and he’s no longer alive so that kinda rules him out of the golden era noted in the OP.
    Yeah, tears in heaven, what a load of crap. Couldn’t name one Zappa song if I’m honest. 

I didnt intend a slur against Clapton, in the same way I’m not putting FZ on a pedestal for writing great songs. One of the things that marks a songwriter as ‘great’ is considering how prolific they are. I wouldnt call Clapton prolific. Another thing is not being reliant on other songwriters. Clapton plays a lot of covers as well as songs penned for him by others. And another that marks a great songwriter is consistency. Youd be very hard pushed to consider Clapton consistent. I dont disagree that “Tears from Heaven” is a great song, and Clapton did pen several other great songs. I’m thinking that if EC was such a ‘great’ songwriter, why didnt he write more songs, more often?

As for FZ, please dont remain ignorant. He can be marmite, but as with Clapton, and the new generation, there are some great songs in there. 

Now I know the thread is about the new generation of blues, and apologise for the diversion, as well as harping back to the past.

As you were....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    fandango said:
    TINMAN82 said:
    fandango said:
    TINMAN82 said:

@heavyrocker I think that’s a fair comment. I do think though that history will view Clapton as one of the greatest composers in this genre of all time 
    I am not sure where you got the idea that Clapton was/is a great songwriter. Most of his albums feature cover versions and songs penned by others. Journeyman only featured one Clapton song, and even that was with a joint composer (Robert Cray). Old Sock doesn’t feature a single Clapton-penned song. And we all know that it was Dwayne Allman who made Layla the great song We all know and love.

Yes, EC did write a few, but if you want to talk prolific song-writing guitarists, then look no further than Frank Zappa. However, he’s not blues, and he’s no longer alive so that kinda rules him out of the golden era noted in the OP.
    Yeah, tears in heaven, what a load of crap. Couldn’t name one Zappa song if I’m honest. 

I didnt intend a slur against Clapton, in the same way I’m not putting FZ on a pedestal for writing great songs. One of the things that marks a songwriter as ‘great’ is considering how prolific they are. I wouldnt call Clapton prolific. Another thing is not being reliant on other songwriters. Clapton plays a lot of covers as well as songs penned for him by others. And another that marks a great songwriter is consistency. Youd be very hard pushed to consider Clapton consistent. I dont disagree that “Tears from Heaven” is a great song, and Clapton did pen several other great songs. I’m thinking that if EC was such a ‘great’ songwriter, why didnt he write more songs, more often?

As for FZ, please dont remain ignorant. He can be marmite, but as with Clapton, and the new generation, there are some great songs in there. 

Now I know the thread is about the new generation of blues, and apologise for the diversion, as well as harping back to the past.

As you were....
    You’ve got this wrong I’m afraid. Clapton, over the course of his career, has been fairly “prolific” by any reasonable standard. That’s both in terms of self penned original songs, co-written original songs and covers that he has recorded the definitive versions of (eg Cocaine, “From the cradle” album). Referring to the album “Old Sock” is like using Bob Dylan’s recent Sinatra covers albums to summarise his legacy since the 1960s.

History will record very view artists equalling Clapton’s popularity, reach and influence as a song writer, let alone guitar player.

I’ll give FZ some time eventually.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    TINMAN82 said:
    fandango said:
    TINMAN82 said:
    fandango said:
    TINMAN82 said:

As you were....
    You’ve got this wrong I’m afraid. Clapton, over the course of his career, has been fairly “prolific” by any reasonable standard. That’s both in terms of self penned original songs, co-written original songs and covers that he has recorded the definitive versions of (eg Cocaine, “From the cradle” album). Referring to the album “Old Sock” is like using Bob Dylan’s recent Sinatra covers albums to summarise his legacy since the 1960s.

History will record very view artists equalling Clapton’s popularity, reach and influence as a song writer, let alone guitar player.

I meant prolific writing, not prolific recording. Yes, Clapton’s recorded plenty of albums/songs and performed loads of shows and supported a good few other musicians on tour, but he’s not written most of the songs he’s recorded.

I’m not questioning Clapton’s popularity, reach, influence, recording legacy, merely making note that he’s not really written many songs. Same as Cliff Richard. Prolific recording/performaing legacy, but not so much on the writing stakes. Clear?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    edited March 2019
    fandango said:
    TINMAN82 said:
    fandango said:
    TINMAN82 said:
    fandango said:
    TINMAN82 said:

As you were....

I meant prolific writing, not prolific recording. Yes, Clapton’s recorded plenty of albums/songs and performed loads of shows and supported a good few other musicians on tour, but he’s not written most of the songs he’s recorded.

I’m not questioning Clapton’s popularity, reach, influence, recording legacy, merely making note that he’s not really written many songs. Same as Cliff Richard. Prolific recording/performaing legacy, but not so much on the writing stakes. Clear?
    Clear but incorrect. https://www.whereseric.com/the-vault/song-information/alphabetical-list-songs-eric-clapton

You can’t discount co-written songs. Music is generally collaborative.

By your logic, no one can say Elton John is a prolific song writer because Bernie Taupin writes the lyrics. Lennon/ McCartney. Jagger/ Richards. Etc etc.

Composing would also include exceptional ability to re-draft or reimagine existing pieces. The acoustic version of Layla is in its own right an amazing acoustic rock song, as good or better than the original. Duane Allman was long gone when that was drafted.

Of course, whether or not you like/enjoy/rate the individual songs is subjective. But his writing credits are plain fact.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    Love these guys. Don't know much about genres. Would probably be stoner or something. Quite heavy, but really bluesy guitar. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • steven70steven70 Frets: 1263
    edited March 2019

Check out RL Burnside’s grandson, Cedric. His album Benton County Relic is excellent. No flashy chops here, his playing style is similar to many African players, Tinariwen etc. This live session is great: 

Cedric Burnside - Yes!! 

Superb, and no messing here- none of the 'horn section, backing singers and assortment of additional guitarists' that some of the established artists seem to favour. 

He's playing June, def going to see him in Brighton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI9WKSw9jK8

PS Who is on geetar here- Should I know?

Edit- Ah man is it that bloke out of Roger Waters band on geeter? Matey thingy the third? I want to hate it now.
    But I can't cos I like it. Just shows how my brain works. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SidNewtonSidNewton Frets: 660
    Lewy said:
    57Deluxe said:
    I like my Blues, loud, rocking and electric and no hats...
    Wis’d for anti-hat sentiment. Too many CHIMPS...Convinced Hat Improves Musical Performance
    I went to the Bristol Jazz and Blues Festival last weekend. I saw Josh Smith. He wore a hat and was damned good. I also saw Kirk Fletcher the day before. He didn't wear a hat but laughed a lot. He also sounded damned good.
    Now I'm just confused, do I need a hat or not and will a woolly hat suffice because my head gets cold in the winter.
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    steven70 said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI9WKSw9jK8

PS Who is on geetar here- Should I know?

Edit- Ah man is it that bloke out of Roger Waters band on geeter? Matey thingy the third? I want to hate it now.
    But I can't cos I like it. Just shows how my brain works. 
    It’s Brian Janxta. Great player, fantastic tone.
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2381
    @steven70 ; Doyle Bramhall II is a lefty...lol.
  • steven70steven70 Frets: 1263
    edited March 2019
    Thanks @JDE - yeah, fantastic playing. Superb- someone else for me to check out. Great stuff!
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1058
    Took the plunge on the new MKB. Wicked! Kinda prefer the psychedelic 'soul insight' era but its really good
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3553
    Strikes me that many 'electric blues' players could do with doing what Robben Ford did - listen to other music (specifically, horn players).  I hear a lot of fast pattern/box playing. (Still Got the Blues still has much to answer for.)

Not hearing many with a chord tone centred approach (such as BB, Carlton) or a really strong melodic voice (Lowell). Derek Trucks perhaps. The late Chris Whitley. 

Also, songwriting. Joe Louis Walker has a handle on it. Zito as well .

• Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    Have to agree there is some good stuff out there at the moment. Much mentioned here.
    This channel has a lot of the keep blues alive cruise and other stuff. 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjvulwRgSjEB4Tb69EwG8xg

Not all JoBo although the Super jams are worth a watch. 

On the lighter side I am enjoying larkin Poe at the moment

I think one of the songwriting issues of the moment is yes all the good songs probably have been written to a certain degree but there is still gold as there is an infinite number of ways to express whats wrong with the world and the human condition. 

I also think back in the day you had a shed load of writers knocking out tunes of the day people like Willie Dixon wrote shed loads covered by many who made them there own. 

Today, if you can write a good tune, are you going to pitch it to Beyonce's team or Kirk Fletcher.

Anyway I am enjoying what we have got to be honest.