The Contrariness of Guitarists.

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1374
    ICBM said:
    monquixote said:

Strymon have built a whole business on exactly that.
    I've just bought a Boss RE-20 too. I don't have an original Space Echo to compare it with, but it sounds pretty close to what I remember - albeit without the whir and hiss of the tape loop going round :). It even accurately models the terrible dustbin-like - but perfect, in context - spring reverb of the original.
    the only problem is you can't whack it to get a big splash. But once I get around to building my surfybear...  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3590
    ICBM said:
    monquixote said:

Strymon have built a whole business on exactly that.
    I've just bought a Boss RE-20 too. I don't have an original Space Echo to compare it with, but it sounds pretty close to what I remember - albeit without the whir and hiss of the tape loop going round :). It even accurately models the terrible dustbin-like - but perfect, in context - spring reverb of the original.
    Just for reference I have got both (actually the RE501), and the RE20 does a good enough job for any live stuff I ever tackle with the added bonus of tap tempo. Plus it takes up a fraction of the space (pun intended).

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72390
    ESBlonde said:

Just for reference I have got both (actually the RE501), and the RE20 does a good enough job for any live stuff I ever tackle with the added bonus of tap tempo. Plus it takes up a fraction of the space (pun intended).
    That's how I feel - the original may still sound slightly 'better', but it's huge, expensive, noisy (physically, and maybe a bit electrically, although it's a while since I've worked on one and I can't remember) and a maintenance hassle.

Actually one thing that annoys me about the RE-20 is that there is no way of turning the tap tempo *off* again once you've engaged it, without moving the mode switch or the rate knob. Ideally a single press on the switch should do that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Vintage stuff for the studio, modern reliable and close enough for stage
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • ICBM said:
    HAL9000 said:

I guess it depends if you want perfection or character. IMHO they're probably mutually exclusive.
    Yes, but you can have imperfection and character with modern gear too, if you want. Even with digital gear, if that's what it's set up to do.

But perfection is a type of character.

Plus guitars are inherently imperfect.  Take a look at what a true temperament fretboard looks like.  Several frets on the guitar are off on a normal guitar even if the string is in tune and you play with good technique.