Best Top Coats

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• RussGRussG Frets: 15
    Deadman said:
    Ha, blimey I used to paint a couple of Landies every week when I was in the forces. Usually straight matt green, but infra red reflective 2 pack, sometimes camouflage and gloss very rarely. They're good old things to work on.
    Sorry for the thread hijack Russ :) 
    NO worries LOL
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jase128jase128 Frets: 6
    edited March 2019
    HI,
     I am after repainting a couple of cheap guitars....just because.  there is a (laughable)spray booth at work with air and extraction but usually for cans, I would like someone if possible to recommend a cheap gun for a try at spraying, I would really like to try some flake and candy???

any advice appreciated

Jason

SORRY  just realised im hijacking a thread too, I thought i was in 'useful resources' for some reason!
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    jase128 said:
    HI,
     I am after repainting a couple of cheap guitars....just because.  there is a (laughable)spray booth at work with air and extraction but usually for cans, I would like someone if possible to recommend a cheap gun for a try at spraying, I would really like to try some flake and candy???

any advice appreciated

Jason

SORRY  just realised im hijacking a thread too, I thought i was in 'useful resources' for some reason!
    Hi Jason, have you got access to a compressor? Without going into boring details both flake and candy are particularly tricky to shoot. I’d recommend separate guns for the jobs to start with.
    lonestar said:
    jase128 said:
    HI,

any advice appreciated

Jason

Hi Jason, have you got access to a compressor? Without going into boring details both flake and candy are particularly tricky to shoot. I’d recommend separate guns for the jobs to start with.
    yes we have large boge compressors providing full site air to around 7.5bar, i presumed it would not be easy but I do have some time on night to practise  =)
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    The flake will leave mess everywhere. It’ll contaminate the area you spray in quite badly tbh. It’ll need its own gun too. Candy’s will take a lot of practice to get an even finish. I’d recommend starting with solid colours and going from there. Whatever you do, buy 2 guns at least.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader

As above^^, a cheap suction gun with big setup (needle/nozzle/aircap combo) for flake. Depends on flake size.
    Something else for base & clear. The small Bergens for sub-20 squid are OK, I usually have a couple on the go.

Flake is indeed messy. I sheet out walls & floor floor, when done bag it all up inc paint suit and bin it, keep some old boots just for flake. Still find a flake glinting on the dog's nose a couple of weeks later..

Usual candy advice is practice because any tiger stripes, runs or dirt in it and you're knackered. If you're used to gun spraying pile in, otherwise it's not the first thing to try really. Pre-coloured flake might save a candy stage. Not to put you off, do go for it, but it is a walk/run thing.

Thanks for the advice gents, I will have a look at the Bergens!
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader
    Just a squint at fleabay, looks like the minis aren't there much or have changed, but lots of the 1.4mm gravity guns for about 20 quid mark with the same style body - though I haven't tried one of those.
    Come flake time most suction guns will do a job because you're not needing great atomisation and fine control so much.