Need help pricing a couple guitars for sale

What's Hot
Matchoo93Matchoo93 Frets: 87
Hey everyone, I may have to sell two of my guitars due to an upcoming custom build, and general adult life..

First is a 2011 PRS Custom 24 10 top in Angry Larry.

Got a fair bit of damage on it, but looks great in person. The finish on the neck has been professionally taken down to the wood and sealed. I see this as an upgrade but yeah. It's also got Fishman Fluence Townsends installed which are a vast improvement over the stock pickups.

Full album: https://postimg.cc/gallery/j0k93ozw/

Then there's my 2006 Gibson Les Paul Custom in Alpine White. This has a fair few dings and marks, but other than that, an absolutely solid guitar. Again, the neck has been taken down to the wood professionally, and oiled. Pickups are SD Distortion/Jazz combo, it has Graphtec StringSaver saddles, and a Tusq nut. I also changed the toggle switch to a brass tip, just because.

Full album here: https://postimg.cc/gallery/er9h7qdo/

All input is appreciated, the Les Paul was 2nd hand, the PRS was brought from new in 2011 for £2750.

Thanks.

Proud user of Aristides and Mayones guitars.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14430
    That white LP Custom is Very Seven. ;)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Matchoo93Matchoo93 Frets: 87
    That white LP Custom is Very Seven. ;)
    Very Seven?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14430
    Harry Seven - probably this forum’s numero uno gear hoarder. He holds the white Gibson LP Custom in especially high esteem - probably because of Steve Jones of the Sex Pistols.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1948
    Harry Seven - probably this forum’s numero uno gear hoarder. He holds the white Gibson LP Custom in especially high esteem - probably because of Steve Jones of the Sex Pistols.
    So do I, but just because it's the 2nd nicest finish for a Les Paul
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2144
    Hmm. I have a LPC of a similar age in the same finish. I'll be interested to hear what sort of figures people bandy around. 
    If I was selling mine privately, I'd probably list at £2k and see what happened. 

The PRS, probably £1k. If you're lucky. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030
    True.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

edited March 2019
    This is by no means a suggestion re. pricing, just an observation...I’ve recently seen a number nice LPC’s of a similar ilk (‘80’s - ‘00’s) sell at anything from £1400 - £1600, despite numerous other LPCs on offer (on the usual platforms) @ £2.2K+...

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    I think that in removing the finish off the necks you’ve wiped some value of both and particularly the LPC.

It’s definitly not an upgrade to most people so you’ve slashed you no. of interested buyers considerably.

Those with any remaining interest will use it as a lever to beat your price down. 
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
    Iamnobody said:
    I think that in removing the finish off the necks you’ve wiped some value of both and particularly the LPC.

It’s definitly not an upgrade to most people so you’ve slashed you no. of interested buyers considerably.

Those with any remaining interest will use it as a lever to beat your price down. 
    Have a Wiz for that.

• HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 471
    No idea what you’ll get for them as removing the finish from the backs of the necks will have a profound negative effect on the price.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3203
    No idea what you’ll get for them as removing the finish from the backs of the necks will have a profound negative effect on the price.
    This. ^

Although some of us should probably thank you, as it will put the unobtainable within the price range of those forumites restricted to mid-level instruments. As annoying as it will seem as a resale scenario, you have in many respects provided a public service of sorts.
    This. ^

Although some of us should probably thank you, as it will put the unobtainable within the price range of those forumites restricted to mid-level instruments. As annoying as it will seem as a resale scenario, you have in many respects provided a public service of sorts.
    Yes. I recently bought a used Gibson sg that had a strap button fitted to the horn in order to reduce neck dive. This mod, although it actually made the guitar easier to play, enabled me to buy the guitar for around £100 less than the usual price of an unmodified example. I always feel a bit sorry for people that had their pre CBS Stratocasters and Telecasters re-sprayed, the reduced second hand value is astounding. Still not enough for me to be able to afford one though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14263
    edited March 2019 tFB Trader
    Iamnobody said:

Agree - You've probably just lost a large part of your potential interested customers, as many will not entertain such mods at any price - Granted the necks can be re-painted if required, but that won't come cheap - With that in mind any interested party will use it to try and get an additional discount - Guesstimate but £200-300 for either neck to be refinished based on a top notch job - And especially on the white LP it will be a challenge to discolour the white to match that 'puss yellow' 'custard cream' vibe that you now have on a 13 year old LP

I like the feel of a 'played in' neck, but would have just cut it back to more of a satin vibe and left the finish still in tact and visible - I think taking it back to bare wood effectively means 'I'm not going to sell it at a later date'

And or those that are interested, I'd be surprised if you sell easily at £1500 for the LP and 1K for the PRS
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7143
    I love bare necks, I did one of my old Les Pauls and yes it did really hit its re-sell price when I sold it on a few years back.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

And or those that are interested, I'd be surprised if you sell easily at £1500 for the LP and 1K for the PRS

Based on what I've seen recently, I'm 100% with you on that!

Sorry, @Matchoo93... :(

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14263
    tFB Trader

Based on what I've seen recently, I'm 100% with you on that!

Sorry, @Matchoo93... :(

Agree that it is 'sad' for the seller to see such devaluation, especially taking into account they have had to pay to under take such work anyway - Some will be fine with it, but most/many won't understand why such work has been carried out - I can hear talk now of potential buyers asking 'why would anyone do that' 

Might well be worth getting a quote for a neck re-fin and see how it stacks up - sell as is at a lower price, or see if you can acquire a higher price with a neck re-fin - Maybe not much in final pricing, but maybe easier to sell
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2144
    Iamnobody said:

And yes. I forgot to add exactly this. 

Oddly with the PRS, it isn't the neck that would put me off so much as the pickups. 

Then again, I've never changed pickups in any guitar I've owned. Dunno why. Just haven't felt the need to, really. 
    Nerine said:
    Iamnobody said:

And yes. I forgot to add exactly this. 

Oddly with the PRS, it isn't the neck that would put me off so much as the pickups. 

Then again, I've never changed pickups in any guitar I've owned. Dunno why. Just haven't felt the need to, really. 
    Like you I’ve been unimpressed with the pickups on the PRS guitars I’ve played, but changing pickups needn’t effect the used price of a guitar as long as you keep the originals and reinstall them for resale.

• drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    Might be interested in the PRS. Drop me a PM when you've settled on a price.
  • Matchoo93Matchoo93 Frets: 87
    I wouldn't let the PRS go for anywhere near £1000, so I'll be keeping that one unless otherwise.

Thanks everyone