Pedal technical question

FastEddieFastEddie Frets: 574
I've a few pedals, Brantone and some from Lumpy's Tone shop which if I put them in line with other pedals do not work.

I don't understand why.
This is annoying as they are such great bits of kit and I'd like to put together a board now I have most of my current faves in my ownership.

Help is required.
Thanks in advance.

P.S Assume you are dealing with zero technical or electrical knowledge and you'll be fine. I'm a dim whit on these matters.
If I had talent, I'd be talented.
Red meat and functional mushrooms.
Persistent and inconsistent guitar player.
A lefty, hence a fog of permanent frustration

Not enough guitars, pedals, and cricket bats.
USA Deluxe Strat - Martyn Booth Special - Electromatic
FX Plex - Cornell Romany
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8731
    By “don’t work” do you mean “won’t switch on” or “They don’t change the sound”?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72490
    How are you powering them?

Seeing that the Brantones seem to be vintage-style germanium fuzz pedals, it's quite likely that they need positive-ground power supplies. You can't use these in combination with negative-ground pedals on the same daisy chain or non-isolated power supply, even with 'polarity reversing' cables - you need an individually isolated power supply.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FastEddieFastEddie Frets: 574
    ICBM said:
    How are you powering them?

Seeing that the Brantones seem to be vintage-style germanium fuzz pedals, it's quite likely that they need positive-ground power supplies. You can't use these in combination with negative-ground pedals on the same daisy chain or non-isolated power supply, even with 'polarity reversing' cables - you need an individually isolated power supply.
    I have a T-Rex blue power supply.
    I need someone to set-up my board. Thanks for the explanation. 

FX Plex - Cornell Romany
  • TateFXTateFX Frets: 114
    tFB Trader
    The Brantone stuff is vintage styled so they may very well be positive ground. which means your power supply wont work without a polarity switch. However looking at his site it seems the fuzz doesn't have a power input. 

Is it a case that he pedals don't power up or that there is no sound passing?
    Formerly Stu_Tate
    Tate FX
    www.TateFX.co.uk
    Instagram 
  • FastEddieFastEddie Frets: 574
    Stu_tate said:
    The Brantone stuff is vintage styled so they may very well be positive ground. which means your power supply wont work without a polarity switch. However looking at his site it seems the fuzz doesn't have a power input. 

Is it a case that he pedals don't power up or that there is no sound passing?
    Thanks Stu.
    There is a power input.
    It makes a strange sound but the other pedals cut out.

It's the tonebender variant pedal.

FX Plex - Cornell Romany
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72490
    FastEddie said:

It makes a strange sound but the other pedals cut out.
    Yes, that’s a ground polarity issue and means the power supply outputs are not isolated.

You need a new power supply unfortunately. Switching the polarity of the outputs won’t work.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TateFXTateFX Frets: 114
    tFB Trader
    What he said ^^
    Formerly Stu_Tate
    Tate FX
    www.TateFX.co.uk
    Instagram