Bloody Punjabi Radio

What's Hot

Comments

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9671
    Do you have a wah pedal? My old AC30 picked up Radio 4 clear as a bell when I had a Crybaby plugged in. A wah circuit is not too dissimilar to a radio tuning circuit.

Would an amp pick up an FM signal though? I can understand AM, because there’s only one frequency involved but FM is much more complex and I wouldn’t expect an amp to demodulate an FM signal.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16146
    no.....just a helix hx
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1639

You can demodulate FM with a "slope detector" basically a mistuned AM detector but they give high distortion so it is not unreasonable that you could hear an FM station.

Dave.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    I remember the radiator in my bedroom picking up Radio 1 a few years ago - seriously!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    At a guess I reckon your amp is picking up in the AM range around 1584. Which is panjab radio and broadcasts from near north London, it’s a proper commercial radio station. Not sure if there is anything you can do with that information mind you. Maybe it’s possible to filter that frequency out, but that is maybe something @ICBM or @ecc83 or some of the amazing amp builders on here could help answer. 

Does it only happen with a guitar plugged into the amp, or does it happen even without anything plugged in?  
    Just clocked the name .......it's Lyca Radio - a proper channel on DAB digital too
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    Dominic said:
    Just clocked the name .......it's Lyca Radio - a proper channel on DAB digital too

Yeah 1458 on AM I think. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12412
    I used to get radio signals through my set up when I lived in London. I was using a ToneBender and a Coloursound Wah at the time and could even find different stations by moving the wah around. :) The house was at one of the highest points of London and the tv and radio reception were amazing. I once spent a couple of hours trying to get a slightly better tv picture only to discover the aerial wasn’t connected to the cable, the signal was just coming through the co-ax. When I reconnected the aerial the picture actually got worse. I had to put in an inline attenuator eventually . 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    You must have been Hampstead /Highgate area
    I just realised that it's only the one amp that does it and even then only on the top-boost channel .....the lower gain channel is almost silent but if I turn it up and listen very carefully I can just about hear it
    Must be some issue connected with the input
    is there something that can go between the lead/jack and the input ie some kind of filter -I assume the lead acts as an arial
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3595
    Long shot here, but try re-orienting the offending Amp by turning it 90 deg and see if the radio signal level changes.

edited March 2019
    Dominic said:

Kingsbury.   ;) we had great views across the city and could see as far as Crystal Palace on a clear day. 
    ah , my wife is from Honeypot Lane
    Dominic said:
    ah , my wife is from Honeypot Lane
    We lived up at the Colindale end, on the Springfield Estate. I guess your wife might remember the Bandwagon pub on the Kingsbury roundabout? Went to lots of gigs there in my youth but it turned into a crappy disco with regular Saturday night punch ups. Got torn down a few years back and turned into flats and shops. Anyway. I’ll stop running your thread now.  ;)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72567
    Dominic said:
    I just realised that it's only the one amp that does it and even then only on the top-boost channel .....the lower gain channel is almost silent but if I turn it up and listen very carefully I can just about hear it
    Must be some issue connected with the input
    is there something that can go between the lead/jack and the input ie some kind of filter -I assume the lead acts as an arial
    Check the grounding and earth connection on this amp.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12414
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    could the fact that it's a US amp being used with a transformer have anything to do with it ?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72567
    Dominic said:
    could the fact that it's a US amp being used with a transformer have anything to do with it ?
    Does the transformer have a proper through earth connection? Does the amp have an earthed mains cable?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• mgaw said:
    I was trying out the new Vemuram Myriad fuzz the other day and I had  a foreign radio station belting out of the amp!!

I thought vemuram made a lot of noise about how resilient they are to this sort of thing .. 
  • Same here - my Fuzz Pedal plays LBC Radio if I move it near the amp. As if life isn't littered enough by people blabbing about Brexit and Trade Unions.
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3319
    edited March 2019
    If you tell me the layout of your room, I can tell you where to move your amps so that you can get Greek Radio