Afterlife - Netflix - Unmissable

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
    edited April 2020
    To some extent I get the disapproval, but it is largely a comedy. Personally I like how irony and inappropriateness are placed against a serious theme.  And although it is kind of relatable, it's not realistic either and is mostly driven by artistic license.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1946
    I really enjoyed series 1, second series seems pretty good to me.

The dog is brilliant.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3322
    I watched season 1&2 together as a complete body of work so perhaps my views are different to if you had to wait a year for the follow up, but I liked both seasons equally. 
    I agree the shrinks character was off putting and didn’t need to be there and the casual cu@ting seemed too much in places. 

But it made me laugh and made me cry and I’m eagerly awaiting season 3 ( if there is one?)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Just watched S2 as I loved the first series. I did really enjoy it in the main, and it was pretty addictive (did the whole series in less than 24hrs).

However, I have to agree with the previous comments about the Paul Kaye therapist character. Some of those scenes were almost unwatchable, almost made me switch off a couple of times. Tonally completely out of step with the rest of the show. 

Overall I still loved it, still had me chuckling one minute and filling up with tears the next. 
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5169
    I’m due to watch the last episode of series 2 tonight...I’ve really enjoyed it, and the few minutes of Paul Kaye was proper funny bonkers, which does the light and shade’ thing brilliantly.... I hated the office but have found I like his stuff more and more, from Extras to Derek, and Afterlife too...
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12370
    Just watched S2 as I loved the first series. I did really enjoy it in the main, and it was pretty addictive (did the whole series in less than 24hrs).

However, I have to agree with the previous comments about the Paul Kaye therapist character. Some of those scenes were almost unwatchable, almost made me switch off a couple of times. Tonally completely out of step with the rest of the show. 

Overall I still loved it, still had me chuckling one minute and filling up with tears the next. 
    I really liked series 2. Couldn’t stand Paul kayes character. 
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    munckee said:
    Just watched S2 as I loved the first series. I did really enjoy it in the main, and it was pretty addictive (did the whole series in less than 24hrs).

I really liked series 2. Couldn’t stand Paul kayes character. 
    Yep, not leaving Paul Kaye's character on the cutting-room floor was misjudged. Still, nothing's perfect.
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3968
    Going into S2, my expectations were inevitably higher because I though S1 was brilliant. I enjoyed S2 but I agree that Paul Kaye’s character was annoying. My parents enjoyed it but commented on the increased use of the C word. Overall though, I’m still a fan.
    So I've finished series 2... Now what do I watch? Any recommendations for my next Netflix viewing. :)
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067
    It was alright.  Some genuine laugh out loud moments.... “What’s worse than ants in your pants?”.... but also some poignant bits, too
    I’m no prude but the continued use of the C word did start to grate.... and of course, as I was trying to explain to my son, the more you use it, the less impact it has. 

I liked Pat and Roxy’s relationship..... their date was probably the highlight for me. 
  • riverciderrivercider Frets: 461
    tone1 said:
    So I've finished series 2... Now what do I watch? Any recommendations for my next Netflix viewing. :)
    Better Call Saul is very good, assuming you’ve watched the essential Breaking Bad already. 
    tone1 said:
    Better Call Saul is very good, assuming you’ve watched the essential Breaking Bad already. 
    I haven’t seen either of those....
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4170
    Keiko said:
    BRISTOL86 said:
    And it took me ages to work out that the brother in law was ‘Waterboy/Waterman’ from Plebs!
    He used a lot of actirs that hes had before his chubby mate was in extras as was the nurse and his bro in law was in extras as a homelss guy, the horder guy was in Derek as was his wife and the hooker and the postman were in Extras. Seems to have a little team of preferred actors.
    the fat boy's mother was in Life On The Road as was the woman playing Sandy (? the office junior). 
    The brother in law was also in Derek. Hes the guy in the autograph shop.  I started watching it this week.
    I liked derek it was ace
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2804
    I'm with the consensus - i.e. I really liked it, as I did S1, but the therapist gag (let's face it there's just the one) was really badly done......there is scope for mining some proper comedy there but I think he completely misjudged it or was just plain lazy about it.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited May 2021
    A bit of a necro bump, only because I was very late to this and binge watched the first series yesterday and will finish the second one today and be up to date (I hear there is a third and final series).

Sums up love, loss and grief really well with some superb observations and howling moments.

It's so well-written and I've loved the liberal swearing, in particular the use of the word c****
    It wasn't a word I liked or used 20 years ago but no word today succinctly sums up how things or people make you feel than the C.
    Love it, as did I love Extras