Bonnamassa shreds on a headless Steinberger

What's Hot
vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3673
Everyone's favourite punching bag for epitomising "dad blues rock" shows he can get out of the pentatonic box:

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 473
    Those Steinberger Spirits are great little travel guitars mine’s been on quite a few holidays with me. They’re a neat idea let down a bit by their pickups I keep meaning to change mine but never quite get round to it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • agibboagibbo Frets: 102
    He did mention a few years ago that he could join Slayer with his high powered tweed twins!
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    Those Steinberger Spirits are great little travel guitars mine’s been on quite a few holidays with me. They’re a neat idea let down a bit by their pickups I keep meaning to change mine but never quite get round to it.
    I foolishly sold my custom @guitargeek62 @WezV made Steinberger Mini V in one of many moments of skintness to @Richardj a few years back. I’m travelling with work a lot more again so wish I had it now 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    Sounds horrible but I do love those little Steinbergers. A perfect sofa noodling guitar.
  • I've wanted one of those Steinbergers for as long as I can remember... I *will* get one at some point!
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    Didn't Hohner do a more affordable version of them?
    I think they still turn up on EBay.
  • matt1973matt1973 Frets: 386
    Sassafras said:
    Yeah they weren't bad either. Used to cost around £120 new in the early nineties.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2201
    edited March 2019
    I love 'the sound' of JB's picking. Highly articulated and smooth but not too harsh/intense/aggressive. EJ has 'that sound' as well, which is where I heard it first. It's a big frustration because I can't get 'that sound' from my picking. But I keep working at it.

It's not a competition.
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4238
    EJ has 'that sound' as well, which is where I heard it first. It's a big frustration because I can't get 'that sound' from my picking. But I keep working at it.

Troy Grady’s got a whole package about it FYI.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2201
    edited March 2019
    Lewy said:
    EJ has 'that sound' as well, which is where I heard it first. It's a big frustration because I can't get 'that sound' from my picking. But I keep working at it.

Troy Grady’s got a whole package about it FYI.

I know, I've got it (amongst a load of other stuff from Troy Gray). But I still can't get 'that sound'.

It's not a competition.
  • HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 473
    matt1973 said:
    Sassafras said:
    Yeah they weren't bad either. Used to cost around £120 new in the early nineties.
    I got my Stienberger Spirit used via eBay  a few years ago, the Hohner looks as though it could have come out of the same factory, in fact I believe that it’s licensed by Stienberger . Expect to pay more than £120 for a used one these days as they’ve become quite popular. A neat little travel guitar.
  • EvildurkaEvildurka Frets: 351
    £320 new from GAK
  • mrleon83mrleon83 Frets: 188
    Holy moly, that was cool!
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7912
    I bought a used Steinberger spirit in mint condition for £150 off eBay. I upgraded the pickups, kept it for a few years for travelling with work.  Then sold it again. 

The fretboard was a little cramped for my hands, but other than that, I really liked it

I had a Hohner headless in the 80’s, and only sold it ten years ago. Went for a surprisingly good price. 

Is the Steinberger Spirit as good as the 80’s Hohner Headless licensed guitars?  No. It’s way better,  

The Honhner trem is made for soft metal, so the threads wear over time. The pickups suck ass, the trem hold tune ok, but nothing special. 

The Steinberger is way better built, nicer pickups (which I would still upgrade), fantastic quality trem, feels very precise, and has a quality feel to it. Very stable tubing. Just a fantastic little guitar. 

I’m constantly tempted to buy another, but I’ve got too many guitars which I already don’t play enough. 

The Steinberger Spirit is the perfect travel guitar, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. 

• I have one for YBTB sessions. Great, versatile little guitars and very useful for smaller kids. 

Haven't bothered changing the pickups but I might one day.

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23013
    I had a Spirit by Steinberger a while ago.  I liked the concept, and it had a really fat neck which was good for me (apparently the newer ones have thinner necks).  But it wasn't that great in practice, there were a couple of loose frets and the bridge/tuning system was a massive pain to set up and use. 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4987
    Impressive but it is far far away from being ever called music.  Wows young impressionable males though....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23013
    Rocker said:
    Impressive but it is far far away from being ever called music.  Wows young impressionable males though....

Come off it, he's sitting in the back of a bus showing off, that's the whole point. 

It's not a demo for his next album, nobody's claiming it's Songs in the Key of Life, least of all him.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3673
    edited March 2019
    Rocker said:
    The whole point of the clip was a joke about joining Slayer. Clearly he's a very capable musician, and not just the muffled mid-range dad-blues punching bag everyone likes to throw out whenever his name comes up. I'm sure I've seen a clip of him ripping it up with some decent country-style chicken-picking somewhere as well.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2169
    As a holdsworth nut I've always wanted a Steinberger.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.