Fractal AX8

What's Hot

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33798
    I’ve been using AX8 live direct to PA for over a year now in small pubs and on festival  stages, sounds (and feels) great. Had Kemper twice and also a Helix. Kemper is addictive through headphones, not so in mono live. Helix UI is also addictive especially touch sensitive buttons, how the hell do they do that? Helix sounds didn’t do it for me, people say that third party cab IRs is the trick but never got round to trying them. A mate of mine (name drop, sorry) is guitarist in The Zombies Tom Toomey, he came to see us and was so blown away with the sound that he contacted Fractal the next day and ordered one to use direct on their next tour, well he got an artist deal lucky bugger...
    I am very surprised to hear that, I thought Fractal took pride in the fact that they didn't give out any deals for artists and that the artists chose to use the products because they wanted to, not because of deals. That was always the party political line.
    Nope, they do artist deals...
    Now they do.
    They never used to.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonic said:
    I’ve been using AX8 live direct to PA for over a year now in small pubs and on festival  stages, sounds (and feels) great. Had Kemper twice and also a Helix. Kemper is addictive through headphones, not so in mono live. Helix UI is also addictive especially touch sensitive buttons, how the hell do they do that? Helix sounds didn’t do it for me, people say that third party cab IRs is the trick but never got round to trying them. A mate of mine (name drop, sorry) is guitarist in The Zombies Tom Toomey, he came to see us and was so blown away with the sound that he contacted Fractal the next day and ordered one to use direct on their next tour, well he got an artist deal lucky bugger...
    I am very surprised to hear that, I thought Fractal took pride in the fact that they didn't give out any deals for artists and that the artists chose to use the products because they wanted to, not because of deals. That was always the party political line.
    Nope, they do artist deals...
    Now they do.
    They never used to.
    Same as PRS, they started out saying if they want to play our guitars they pay for them. Now it’s a different story...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited June 2019
    I'd love to hear/try an AX8 as you read about the Helix and Kempers and what their respective strengths are but from what I've read, the AX8 seems to sit inbetween them and be the perfect compromise.

Would users familiar with the various modellers say that's a fair assumption? Also, can you switch off the amps and cabs to use it like a scaled-down FX8?

I quite like this demo and they're very much my sort of sounds (80s kid)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfaUCm7o--w

• BeexterBeexter Frets: 599
    Never tried a Kemper but do own an HX FX.
    The UI on the Helix family of products is light years ahead of Fractal. However, setting up a patch from scratch is very straightforward using the Fractal computer editor. Once this is done, its actually quite straightforward to make on the fly tweaks on the AX8 itself. With the HX FX, i do everything on the unit itself. 
    With the AX8, you can easily disable amp and cab sims ( but they're so good so i use it direct to PA). Effects are stellar and insanely tweakable.
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    I gigged an AX8 for a while and loved it. Probably my best live sound. Not really sure why I got rid of it...
  • I posted earlier in this thread about owning a Helix and being tempted by an AX8.

I made the switch to an AX8 about 6 weeks ago and I'm super happy.

I loved the Helix, it sounded great and was really easy to use. If the AX8 didn't exist and the temptation wasn't there, then I would have been perfectly happy with the Helix.

I did have a chance to A/B the 2 units briefly and for me the AX8 is a step up sonically from the Helix. It just sounds more real, the Helix has a 'Plasticky' sound to it when compared side by side. The effects are also in a different league on the AX8.

The UI on the AX8 is a pain in the arse and this is where the Helix excels. I just program the AX8 using the PC editor which is excellent.

On a side note it would appear Fractal may have abandoned the AX8 as a platform, partly due to the new FM3 they have just released, but also as the guy responsible for programming the AX8 has left the company. So anymore future updates to the firmware are unlikely. It's really not something I'm concerned about as the unit sounds superb as it is, but it might be something to bare in mind if something like that would bother you.
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2400
    When I had an AX8, I loved it - but then slowly realised I was spending a lot more time twiddling knobs and parameters than I was actually playing.

It's a good device, sure, but you have to be VERY focused on actually playing instead of tweaking. There is such a thing as too many options.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    FarleyUK said:
    When I had an AX8, I loved it - but then slowly realised I was spending a lot more time twiddling knobs and parameters than I was actually playing.

It's a good device, sure, but you have to be VERY focused on actually playing instead of tweaking. There is such a thing as too many options.
    That’s why I find I’m plugging straight into a valve amp more and more 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Gadget said:
    This is AX8...

That sounds fab!
    Vinny’s had his Ax8 for ages and has certainly gotten into it properly, saves dragging his nice old Marshall’s and Boogies about ;)
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    sweepy said:

Gadget said:
    This is AX8...

That sounds fab!
    Vinny’s had his Ax8 for ages and has certainly gotten into it properly, saves dragging his nice old Marshall’s and Boogies about ;)
    Yes, it def helps with all the fly gigs. They're playing some big band gigs and festivals, but without big band roadie support, so I think the AX8 has been brilliant for that, but most importantly it still sounds great. As you say, then the old rack and amp heads can stay safely in the studio :)
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
    I didn't know that about Vinnie and I've seen Dare a few times over the last couple of years (last time was at HRH AOR) and his sound and playing have always impressed me.
    exocet said:

I bought the AX8 to give modelling another chance. Plugged it in to a DXR 12 monitor and was able to get useable tones very quickly.

You really need to try these things out for yourself, everyone has different tastes / willingness to tweak settings etc.
    I've been trying the Helix and Kempers at any given opportunity and the Kempers are coming out on top/sounding and feeling more real. However, just from the demos, I prefer the AX8 sounds, but with them not being in UK shops, I have no way of trying one, hence, it would be great to have a Modeller GearFest.
  • Kebabkid said:
    exocet said:

I bought the AX8 to give modelling another chance. Plugged it in to a DXR 12 monitor and was able to get useable tones very quickly.

You really need to try these things out for yourself, everyone has different tastes / willingness to tweak settings etc.
    I've been trying the Helix and Kempers at any given opportunity and the Kempers are coming out on top/sounding and feeling more real. However, just from the demos, I prefer the AX8 sounds, but with them not being in UK shops, I have no way of trying one, hence, it would be great to have a Modeller GearFest.
    Don't G66 still do a full refund if you're not happy?
    Kebabkid said:
    exocet said:

Yes, 28 days, thankfully :)
    edited June 2019
    sweepy said:
    Kebabkid said:
    exocet said:

Yes, 28 days, thankfully
    Ah, good to know, and thanks, but unless I'm missing something, the AX8 doesn't seem to be shown on their list of products to purchase any more and it could because it's been, or being superceeded by the FM3
  • They have discontinued the AX8 so it’s no longer available to buy new. 
    Forgive the post and the comments have been useful but I'm just looking for more opinions, pros and cons from AX8 users, past and present, @uberscott @RandomGecko @Wazmeister @Si_ @John_P @grammar.

I've seen lag mentioned with the switching? Is that an issue?

Of all the modelling units, and based just on the online demos, the sound of this one is the one I've liked the most but, as mentioned, it's difficult getting my hands on one to try.
  • grammargrammar Frets: 27
    Once you get your head around Scenes it's not an issue. I think with any of these modellers you will be better off turning fx/amps on and off within a preset rather than switching to a new preset for every sound.
  • grammargrammar Frets: 27
    Ps I'm going to sell my AX8 once I can get to my lockup, no more live gigging for me.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    The last software upgrade reduced the lag even more to the point where even using preset switching rather than scenes it’s minuscule.   Using scenes it’s not an issue imo