Princeton PRRI backup - Fly Rig or something else?

What's Hot
camfcamf Frets: 1191
edited March 2019 in Amps
I'm starting to do a few more gigs so the usual belt-and-braces backup gear paranoia is creeping in. So any suggestions for an affordable back up for my PRRI? I don't need another amp as the PRRI is exactly what I need, so it's just for emergencies or times when I can't have my own amp. So I'm looking for something portable, not too fancy or expensive.

So far, a used Tech 21 Flyrig is currently the best I've seen but I don't know if it does Fender amp sounds. Any thoughts?

Cheers,

cam f
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    I have a Boss Fender Deluxe Reverb pedal for sale... it does sound like a Fender amp, but it does have some limitations for live use, so I'm not sure if it would do the job for you or not.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• camfcamf Frets: 1191
    I might need to bring my PRRI out to you for a check up. I'm getting a couple of unpleasant crackles on the front end of some notes and I think the power valves might be just generally getting tired. So I could maybe try it when I'm out. 
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    Tech 21 blonde in the classifieds
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    I'd go for a HX Stomp.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 860
    I carry a ehx pedal amp (magnum 44) and a tech 21 pedal. First backup is the tech 21 for a fender sound into the ehx using the princeton speaker, if that dies I can use ehx straight to pa. To date neither has been used!
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Personally think a HX stomp isnt an ideal backup for a princeton, it's too different and therefor not the sort of thing that you can just grab out your bag in a panic once every 6 months and remember how it all works and how to give it a tweak when it doesn't.

The fly-rig is great for that, it's so simple and intuitive, and sounds very good as well.  I have one as a Helix backup and (touch wood) have never used it in anger :)
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    edited March 2019
    AMT F1.
    Fender Twin in a box.
    More realistic than the Sansamp.
    Sassafras said:
    AMT F1.
    Fender Twin in a box.
    Exact copy of the Sansamp.
    FTFY

Actually I'm not certain about that one, I haven't tried it - but the AMT DT-2 is definitely a SansAmp GT-2 copy, so I would expect that the individual 'amp' pedals are too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Sassafras said:
    AMT F1.
    Fender Twin in a box.
    More realistic than the Sansamp.
    The speaker emulated out isnt great IMO, and the added benefits of reverb, delay a dirty channel and boost make the flyrig much more adaptable
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    edited March 2019
    Maybe a simple old Session Award JD-10? The Mk1 especially does a fine Fender sound from clean to edge of breakup, it's filthy cheap, pretty bombproof, takes just about any power source, has a powerful EQ, and is all-analog. 
    While it's not especially cheap - nor small or light - the Mesa V-Twin does a great Fender clean sound on the green mode too, and can be run direct to PA as well as any other available amp or power amp. I always carried one as a backup when I was using my Trem-o-verb.

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    I think the Fender DR pedal into some s/s amp and out through PRRI speaker.

I used to take a Marshall MG head (using clean channel) as my back up. Use a 2nd small lunchbox head as my spare now (got a couple to choose from).
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    Great feedback everyone. Thanks. I'm looking at the Blonde in the classifieds. Looks like could do the job. Ideally, I'd fancy something swanky like the Ampli-firebox but needs must. :)  
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    ICBM said:
    Sassafras said:
    AMT F1.
    Fender Twin in a box.
    Exact copy of the Sansamp.
    FTFY

Actually I'm not certain about that one, I haven't tried it - but the AMT DT-2 is definitely a SansAmp GT-2 copy, so I would expect that the individual 'amp' pedals are too.
    Unusually for you, ICBM, you're wrong  =)
    The F1 does a far more convincing clean Fender than the GT 2. I've never used the AMT DT-2 so I can't comment.
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 847
    camf said:
    Great feedback everyone. Thanks. I'm looking at the Blonde in the classifieds. Looks like could do the job. Ideally, I'd fancy something swanky like the Ampli-firebox but needs must. :)  
    I used that very Blonde Sansamp whilst supporting Jools Holland for a fly gig in Belgium. Overdrive pedal straight into it then into PA.
    I really didn’t enjoy the feel using it on the gig but when watching the footage back I couldn’t really tell I wasn’t using my amp at the time ( Carr Rambler )
    So in my opinion it’s a great backup solution.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
    Good enough for me, @koss59 Thanks for the recommendations. 

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7422
    Another Princeton 
    Red ones are better. 
    Yep. I’d thought about that too. But the option of finding something you can take as hand luggage appeals too. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17620
    tFB Trader
    I have a Tech21 Blonde for sale or trade.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31592
    camf said:
    I wouldn't bother with the Ampli-fire box, I had one and it was awful. It was brittle with a totally unnatural reaction to dynamic playing or the guitar controls. Luckily it died after six days anyway so I got a refund.

I'm not a massive Tech 21 fan either generally, but I like the Flyrig and gig one all the time, mainly as a boost and for the tap delay, but I've done two gigs with it direct to desk and it's nicer to play than any other modeller I've owned. 

You might like the Blonde, they have the typical Tech 21 speaker sim overtone which can be a bit fatiguing if you can't dial it out, but at least they feel like a real amp in use. Definitely worth a punt second hand.