Guitars that hang to the right.

What's Hot
VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
I have just made a disturbing discovery.  I like my guitar to hang toward the stumming hand, which in my case is left but for you is probably the right.

So which guitar shape is the anti-SG?
How to I get it to hang the way I like it?
Standing and or sitting.
My acoustic seems to have the best position sitting with me hunched over like a witch from Macbeth.  I look like a total knob.

Anyone else suffer from this?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    The strat/super strat shape fits that bill. You’re basically looking for a guitar with a long upper horn so that the strap button is as close to the headstock as possible.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    Maynehead said:
    The strat/super strat shape fits that bill. You’re basically looking for a guitar with a long upper horn so that the strap button is as close to the headstock as possible.
    I will have to test it out, I think my bro has a Strat I can borrow.  I can't say I am keen on the strat shape but needs must.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    Do you support the neck with your fretting hand/arm? I, through many years of perfected awful technique, basically hold the neck up all the time and rest my forearm on the body of the guitar to push the body down and hold it in place. It sounds uncomfortable but my first electric had a pretty heavy body so I just got used the arse-dive. I can’t play a guitar that sits “correctly” horizontally across me without sitting down and hunching over it like a crack addict. 
    A good grippy strap helps. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    I found the Flying V fits this bill. But you’ve got to like the look!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72510
    edited March 2019
    Strats, and Rickenbackers (330 and especially 381).

Look for a guitar with the neck set deeply into the body and the front strap button parallel with the 12th fret, or at worst the 13th.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

JDE said:
    Do you support the neck with your fretting hand/arm? I, through many years of perfected awful technique, basically hold the neck up all the time and rest my forearm on the body of the guitar to push the body down and hold it in place. It sounds uncomfortable but my first electric had a pretty heavy body so I just got used the arse-dive. I can’t play a guitar that sits “correctly” horizontally across me without sitting down and hunching over it like a crack addict. 
    A good grippy strap helps. 
    I don't really grip the neck much. Are you saying you play like Bill Wyman?   It not so much the guitar has to point up but there is a bit of going down to meet the guitar though.

TINMAN82 said:
    I found the Flying V fits this bill. But you’ve got to like the look!

Hmmm.  Do they do a semi-hollow?  Nah, couldn't pull that off.
    ICBM said:
    Strats, and Rickenbackers (330 and especially 381).

Look for a guitar with the neck set deeply into the body and the front strap button parallel with the 12th fret, or at worst the 13th.
    That is 2 votes for the Strat.

Never thought about a Rickenbacker and never even touched one.  That 381 is one ugly guitar but the 330 is an option but might be a bit limiting?

Thanks.
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    Veganic said:
    I don't really grip the neck much. Are you saying you play like Bill Wyman?   It not so much the guitar has to point up but there is a bit of going down to meet the guitar though.

I would sincerely hope I don’t play like Bill Wyman....
    The body of the guitar is lower down, closer to my upper thigh than stomach. Headstock winds up being somewhat parallel to my ribs. 

Stop making me sound so awkward!! ;)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72510
    Veganic said:

That 381 is one ugly guitar
    Even though I like Rickenbackers I also thought the 381 was a bit odd-looking - until I played one, then I bought it... amazingly comfortable. They’re stupidly expensive now though.

For what it’s wirth I hold my guitar with the neck almost horizontal, and having the neck ‘to the right’ is one of my first requirements. I don’t like any guitar with it further to the left than a Telecaster or a Les Paul, and even those are pushing it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Jazzmaster.
    Most comfortable guitar I've ever played.
     I don't like Strats as I hit the volume pot with my hand if I get "over enthusiastic". 

I TOTALLY get what you say about SGs. I want to love them, but I just can't. 
    ICBM said:
    Veganic said:

That 381 is one ugly guitar
    Even though I like Rickenbackers I also thought the 381 was a bit odd-looking - until I played one, then I bought it... amazingly comfortable. They’re stupidly expensive now though.

For what it’s wirth I hold my guitar with the neck almost horizontal, and having the neck ‘to the right’ is one of my first requirements. I don’t like any guitar with it further to the left than a Telecaster or a Les Paul, and even those are pushing it.

The 330 may be an option but can't see any 381 in left handed.  It is not something I had considered mainly as it's a big amount of money and they have a reputation for being "not like other guitars." 

I was wondering if something short scale might work.  Or a big jazz box as that might get closer to an acoustic shape.

The Tele comment is interesting as I have just given one away as I was stuggling to play it.  I put it down to the neck shape at the time and the fact that the strings seemed too close to the edge of the board. I thought it sounded pretty good but couldn't play it cleanly.
    Jazzmaster.
    Most comfortable guitar I've ever played.
     I don't like Strats as I hit the volume pot with my hand if I get "over enthusiastic". 

I TOTALLY get what you say about SGs. I want to love them, but I just can't. 
    Jazzmasters always look a bit SG to me. I was thinking maybe a Jaguar.  I mean Johnny Marr virtually strums one over the fretboard but then again he does hang it around his knees.

I'll add it to the list. 
  • teradaterada Frets: 5114
    A les Paul of 8.75 lbs or greater
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4558
    If you hang an SG like it were a Strat or Tele, with the body in front of you, everything gets shifted way off to the left (or right, in your case).

But if you wear it more on your hip, with the neck pointing forwards instead of across you, it changes things.

Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    But if you wear it more on your hip, with the neck pointing forwards instead of across you, it changes things.

Until you let go...
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    If you hang an SG like it were a Strat or Tele, with the body in front of you, everything gets shifted way off to the left (or right, in your case).

Was going to say the same. Depending on what I'm playing, mine is off to the side a lot, in a similar way to Angus there.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2910
    edited March 2019
    SGs hang to the right if you put it on your hip and it ends up being way comfier than a strat (imo). If you get a good one it won't neck dive either.
  • Just file one of your Cuban heels down and all your dreams will come true ;)
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3055
    Mustang - shorter scale = shorter neck = nut is now a good inch closer to your strumming hand, stick a Capo on the first fret of a Strat or Tele and gove it a go.......... 
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    ES-330?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom