Google Stadia

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17638
    tFB Trader
    I think it's being discontinued, or at the very least deprioritised. 

I've got one, but I've never used it even before the free trial ran out. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3580
    I wonder how much electricity would be consumed by server farms for this if it were scaled up and made to work? Would this be a significant increase from where we are now? 
    tFB Trader
    Greatape said:
    I wonder how much electricity would be consumed by server farms for this if it were scaled up and made to work? Would this be a significant increase from where we are now? 

That's a good question.

Theoretically they could be more efficient because people are sharing computer resource and you could centralise power and cooling and attach solar farms to the data centre etc.
    The question is if that offsets the additional resource consumption of streaming the video.
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4646
    edited April 2022
    Google Cloud happens to be Carbon Neutral with the a of being carbon free by 2030.
    Looks like Stadia is now more of a development platform for games developers rather than a consumer platform.
  • I think it's being discontinued, or at the very least deprioritised. 

I've got one, but I've never used it even before the free trial ran out. 
    I hope I get to have a good go of red dead 2 first…
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 3021
    edited April 2022
    Greatape said:

That's a good question.

Theoretically they could be more efficient because people are sharing computer resource and you could centralise power and cooling and attach solar farms to the data centre etc.
    The question is if that offsets the additional resource consumption of streaming the video.

Why bother, when you can save a fortune on land, electricity and staffing if you sink the server farm underwater, drop it down to 20m below the surface, and cooling is no longer an issue.  And it's fairly cheap to do, smaller farms linked together in a daisy chain underwater, Microsoft did this over 20 years ago with retrofitted decompression chambers used to house the servers underwater.  Not to mention there is currently a mega server farm being built in Asia, underwater, to take advantage of waters thermal properties, the cheapness of land, wave tidal and current for power, not to mention depth for security - 20m underwater makes a physical breakin to nick data, or do naughty things with the actual servrers next to impossible - I have family involved in this project.
    tFB Trader
    Greatape said:

That's a good question.

Why bother, when you can save a fortune on land, electricity and staffing if you sink the server farm underwater, drop it down to 20m below the surface, and cooling is no longer an issue.  And it's fairly cheap to do, smaller farms linked together in a daisy chain underwater, Microsoft did this over 20 years ago with retrofitted decompression chambers used to house the servers underwater.  Not to mention there is currently a mega server farm being built in Asia, underwater, to take advantage of waters thermal properties, the cheapness of land, wave tidal and current for power, not to mention depth for security - 20m underwater makes a physical breakin to nick data, or do naughty things with the actual servrers next to impossible - I have family involved in this project.

In the case of stadia you want the server farm relatively close because of latency.
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3580
    Greatape said:

That's a good question.

Sounds very interesting. Do you have links to any articles about that?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4646
    We tried underwater server farms. As soon as you are incased in water costs shoot up massively (water is a bugger and gets in everywhere).
    Our compromise at Google is we always build a DC next to sustainable water source.