Tele style guitar with heavy body/light neck

What's Hot
Is there a kit guitar, or manufactured guitar t style guitar with a heavy body and light neck, where adding locking tuners won't make the neck dive unreasonably?
Been using a kit guitar from gear4music at the moment and replacing parts like pick ups, nut etc
Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Do Teles neck ever dive? I havn't played all that many but they always seem well balanced to me. Players usually are after lighter bodies where possible.
    I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8739
    Not dive per se, but the neck feels heavy if you go for a light body and use locking tuners. SG players wouldn’t notice. I’ve spent the last couple of years looking at ways round this, starting by using decent non-locking tuners, then making a body with a slightly larger (1/4”) upper bout. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Couldn't you just tape a bag of fishing weights under the pickguard?
    I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14517
    ON TOPIC
    Fender MIM Standard, G&L Tribute series ASAT Classic.

VEERING SLIGHTLY OFF TOPIC
    TBH, on a regular Telecaster, with a fixed bridge and none of those B Bender / Palm Pedal / Hipshot multi-tuning systems, the only advantage that locking machineheads convey is speedy string changes.

The G4M guitar kit product photographs appear to illustrate Jin-Ho R3 tuners. Compared to Schaller, Sperzel and similar quality locking tuners with machined gear casings, the Jin-Ho R3 is exceedingly light. The Wilkinson E-Z Lock tuners are the same thing with two holes drilled through the posts (and some rough edges to file down first!).

HERE COMES THE SCIENCE BIT
    I used to have a slight neck dive issue with the Yamaha Attitude Plus bass guitar. My solutions were a high mass bridge and a grippy shoulder strap.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14517
    edited March 2019
    I replied in the Making & Modding edition of this Discussion. 

Perhaps, the Modmins could merge them, please?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • The gear4music guitar did seem to have a rather thick neck. I have thought about weights but there's not a whole lot of room under the pick guard.
    I like locking tuners I always find them easier and less likely to go out of tune
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27143
    The only neck-heavy Tele I've played is my own La Cab. Thinline body, huge beefy neck and locking tuners. Even then it's ok if I use a cotton strap. It's just the Souldier seatbelt-type ones that it's bad with. 

What's the body made of? 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • I replied in the Making & Modding edition of this Discussion. 

Perhaps, the Modmins could merge them, please?
    I have read your other post. I did buy a thicker strap which did help. The neck doesn't point to the ground. 
    As I stated the neck seems thick compared to other teles but I was assured it was 9.25 inch
    The tuners that came with it are junk hence why I replaced them. I still have to put on a heavier metal pick guard so that might help
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8739
    Threads merged. I guess the message is “please don’t create duplicate threads”. Many people use Recent Discussions, so will see your thread. Duplicates just confuse people and irritate the moderators,
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • The only neck-heavy Tele I've played is my own La Cab. Thinline body, huge beefy neck and locking tuners. Even then it's ok if I use a cotton strap. It's just the Souldier seatbelt-type ones that it's bad with. 

What's the body made of? 
    Ash body https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Knoxville-Electric-Guitar-DIY-Kit-Ash-Body/WT3
    That's the link
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 908
    edited March 2019
    Get a Squier CV 50's Tele. The body on the one I had was pretty heavy so should fit the bill.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1705
    I have a super light paulwonia  tele body on a Fender mex neck with gotoh locking tuners  and there is no neck dive.
  • rossi said:
    I have a super light paulwonia  tele body on a Fender mex neck with gotoh locking tuners  and there is no neck dive.
    I may get a used squier or fender and transfer the parts in to that. Then re-do the finish
  • Sham61Sham61 Frets: 26
    I have a custom made Cabronita Thinline body which only weighs 3lb. The original neck I put on was too heavy and neck dived badly. I robbed the neck off a Squire CV as it was the lightest I had. Not as bad, though as suggested a good strap helps.
  • HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 473
    At 3.07kg my lightest Telecaster is a partscaster, it has a swamp ash body and an Allparts neck with a rosewood fingerboard. The hardware is pretty standard, Wilkinson Kluson copy machine heads, metal control plate and knobs and a Fender three saddle bridge plate. I’ve not had a problem with any sign of neck dive and I’m pretty sure that the addition locking tuners would not be problem .
  • I'll have the post pictures as the neck doesn't point to the floor but is almost horizontal and feels like I'm lifting the neck to play it comfortably 
  • Couldn't you just tape a bag of fishing weights under the pickguard?
    Or tie a couple of helium balloons to the headstock?
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• Squier John 5. Proper heavy.