I murder guitar cables.

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72574
    edited March 2019
    robinbowes said:

I found they went on OK, with sufficient force
    Me too! But not easy if you're not familiar with holding them in some sort of clamp without damaging them.

Did you cut the collet piece down slightly? I find taking a couple of mm off the end makes it much easier.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3053
    ICBM said:
    robinbowes said:

I found they went on OK, with sufficient force
    Me too! But not easy if you're not familiar with holding them in some sort of clamp without damaging them.

Did you cut the collet piece down slightly? I find taking a couple of mm off the end makes it much easier.
    Yes, I cut the middle out of the rubber boot and break off the end part of the chuck, then wrap in a cloth and use a couple of pairs of pliers to nip them up.

R.
  • JamieWakehamJamieWakeham Frets: 39
    edited March 2019
    I recognise that cable!  Robin's work is impeccable.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9734
    TheMarlin said:
    Two of the broken cables are Fender customer shop (allegedly). 

Ah, there’s your problem.

Do you keep receipts? Fender cables have a lifetime warranty. If you take them back to the shop they should replace them for you (admittedly with the same rubbish cables). If enough people do this then Fender just might get the message.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7929
    I think i’ll just throw them in the recycling and invest in some quality. Start over.  Why spend a fortune on pedals and amps, and cheap out on the cables.    

I’ve just spend £300 on low capacitance hifi interconnects, maybe I should offer my guitar gear the same quality of cabling. 

What shoukd i buy?  Looking for two or three 30ft runs, and another 10ft. 
    TheMarlin said:
    I think i’ll just throw them in the recycling and invest in some quality. Start over.  Why spend a fortune on pedals and amps, and cheap out on the cables.    

I’ve just spend £300 on low capacitance hifi interconnects, maybe I should offer my guitar gear the same quality of cabling. 

My pricing:

10m guitar lead, Van Damme cable (black), Neutrik plugs£20.10
    3m guitar lead, Van Damme cable (black), Neutrik plugs£11.98
    Re-terminate Fender tweed cables, Neutrik plugs£10.32

That assumes black/silver straight jacks. I also offer angled, SilentPlug, black/gold, and Sommer SC Classique cable.

R.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6398
    Jalapeno said:
     (really miss Kabl for leads etc).
    I'm offering a similar service, albeit much smaller scale. I can make cables with Van Damme or Sommer cable and Neutrik jacks. PM me if you need anything.

R.
    Good to know, ta.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7929
    TheMarlin said:

My pricing:

That assumes black/silver straight jacks. I also offer angled, SilentPlug, black/gold, and Sommer SC Classique cable.

R.
    That's very reasonable.  WIll give you a shout on payday ;)
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    edited March 2019

I murder with guitar cables...

..said a well known Boston-based guitarist...

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    TheMarlin said:

My pricing:

R.
    That's pretty decent pricing. A friend asked me to fix a fender lead and, after postage, a couple of neutriks were getting close to £20 for a non-bulk buying, VAT-paying civilian like myself. I reattached the fender jacks and he bought a couple of designacables for £30. 
    bbill335 said:

A friend asked me to fix a fender lead and, after postage, a couple of neutriks were getting close to £20 for a non-bulk buying, VAT-paying civilian like myself.
    Where from? That's ridiculous.

RS do them from £2.90 each inc VAT for the NP2X, even if you're buying singles.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24583
    Sassafras said:
    Avoid Fender cables. The plugs are rubbish.
    I've got a couple of Whirlwind cables that are still going strong after more than 30 years. You'd have to be very ham-fisted to break those.
    I discovered this at a rehearsal last week when a crappy and old Fender cable, combined with a high setting compressor managed to pick up the local radio and play it through my amp.

I thought it was my bass, or pedals or amps... in the end changing the cable ended it.
  • I use the Mogami gold cables. A bit more than the average brand but well worth the money. If you coil them up and store them properly they will last forever, I've had mine for almost 10 years without any problems. They also have a lifetime guarantee so if one fails then they'll send you a replacement.
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1389
    ICBM said:
    bbill335 said:

A friend asked me to fix a fender lead and, after postage, a couple of neutriks were getting close to £20 for a non-bulk buying, VAT-paying civilian like myself.
    Where from? That's ridiculous.

RS do them from £2.90 each inc VAT for the NP2X, even if you're buying singles.
    I can't remember specifically, i checked loads of places at the time and it seemed like a lot of neutriks were £4 or more, which seems a lot even for quality stuff. Some places have £7 postage minimum... it adds up. I'll look on RS when I'm back tomorrow coz it would be worth stocking up. 
    RS do free postage too.

The only problem is that they don’t seem to currently do NP2Cs.

• revsorgrevsorg Frets: 884
    Surely this is the one you want, or the right angled equivalent?

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/jack-plugs/8997393/

revsorg said:

No, this one - 

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/jack-plugs/0166327/

Cheaper and equally good. Gold plating is pointless for musical instrument cables - its purpose is to prevent corrosion in static connections over very long periods, eg round the back of your hi-fi. You *might* want it for permanent connections on a pedalboard, but for normal cables that are in and out of the jacks all the time it's a pure waste of money.

It's still not easy to fit either of these to the Fender cables without some extra work though, as robinbowes said.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    revsorg said:

No, this one - 

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/jack-plugs/0166327/

I often use the gold plugs because I think they look better with tweed cable. :)

R.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    I made my own cables and patch cables using Reference cable and amphenol plugs. I never hear anyone mention those plugs. I’m impressed. 
    robinbowes said:

I often use the gold plugs because I think they look better with tweed cable. :)
    I think they look terrible - tarted up like gold fittings on a cheap bathroom suite ;).

lukedlb said:
    I made my own cables and patch cables using Reference cable and amphenol plugs. I never hear anyone mention those plugs. I’m impressed. 
    I’ve got some. They’re OK - better than cheap ones, but not as good as Neutriks.