New Les Paul Special Day and maybe a PSA?

What's Hot
chromatunachromatuna Frets: 371
edited June 2019 in Guitar
Apologies in advance for wordyness and no photo yet. 

So I was all set to settle on my Strat and PRS as my electric guitars but GAS for a Gibson would just not go away. I last owned one, an SG,  in 1980. Not owning a P90 guitar at the moment I started thinking about an SG in that flavour but moved on to LP Specials after a while thinking that a single cut and thicker body would give me something different again and of course they are very cool.  Someone was selling one of those lovely 2016 Japanese market ones here about a month ago that I missed due of lack of funds but I kept browsing as you do and learning a bit as I went along. Decided I wanted wrap tail for full special mojo so kept thinking about the 2016 ones. Another little thing is that the Gibson logo is inlaid rather than one of those gold transfer ones.

On Friday night last I was very surprised to see DV247 offering the 2016 ones new for £666 delivered. I was quite prepared for them not to have them in stock or for the spec to be wrong. I am most certainly not a fan of buying unseen or unplayed but they assured me I could return it to Romford if I was not happy so I couldn't see how I could lose. It arrived today and I can happily say it is faultless, lovely piece of wood, perfect finish, set up really well and plays oh so nicely. Maybe the Japanese market is more demanding? After so many Strat and PRS years it's a whole different feel but the neck is not too chunky and it feels great. Supposedly they check them over and I have to say that out of the box after 48 hours in transit I can't fault it and it seems they did. Honeymoon period obviously but I think it might become no.1. Away from amp and home at the moment which is frustrating but its sounds really sweet acoustically. 

They are still on the DV247 site at that price (no yellow ones) and Peach still have them on theirs with a fuller description

This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Sounds like the GAS gods are smiling on you this week! Congrats, the 2016s are a great spec :-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    Looks great, I might be tempted myself...!!!

• sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    Very good! Few good deals on DV247 site. I wish they'd do a similar vintage spec Junior :(
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3625
    That's a great deal. I really like Specials.

If they had been TV yellow I would have snapped one up!

HNGD.  :)
  • TwoToneGreenTwoToneGreen Frets: 7
    edited March 2019
    Great guitar and at a nice price, so much so that I bought one too. I have no need for it, as I have an ES-330 and a korina-bodied G&L ASAT with p90s, but the temptation of the wraptail is too great. I had been vaguely considering selling a few to buy an R4 but this is much less of a commitment and I may end up having a spring clean anyway. Thanks for the heads-up - I remember when these guitars first appeared but was more disciplined then!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 659
    Great guitar and at a nice price, so much so that I bought one too. I have no need for it, as I have an ES-330 and a korina-bodied G&L ASAT with p90s, but the temptation of the wraptail is too great. I had been vaguely considering selling a few to buy an R4 but this is much less of a commitment and I may end up having a spring clean anyway. Thanks for the heads-up - I remember when these guitars first appeared but was more disciplined then!
    #metoo
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
    F-me, great price.

I bought one of these during 2017's Black Friday sale.  Lovely thing.

• dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    I had one, it’s a spot on spec and a great guitar, killer at that price. 
  • mixolydmixolyd Frets: 826
    https://images.musicstore.de/images/0960/gibson-m2-melody-maker-2017-strawberry-milk_1_GIT0039756-000.jpg

Gibson M2 Melody Maker 2017 Strawberry Milk

£287 for a Gibson?  Not sure if these were always that cheap but seems like a good deal.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I received my Special today. It is a very fine guitar all round - lightweight, slightly chunkier neck than expected and a two-piece body with a largely invisible centre seam. The pickups are more raucous than those of my korina G&L ASAT Junior, so it is a welcome change.

Unfortunately, however, three of the four knobs have suffered some damage, meaning that I will have to engage with Music Store to find some remedy. I also plan to obtain an orange switch tip for the added vintage vibe.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2019
    I received my Special today. It is a very fine guitar all round - lightweight, slightly chunkier neck than expected and a two-piece body with a largely invisible centre seam. The pickups are more raucous than those of my korina G&L ASAT Junior, so it is a welcome change.

Unfortunately, however, three of the four knobs have suffered some damage, meaning that I will have to engage with Music Store to find some remedy. I also plan to obtain an orange switch tip for the added vintage vibe.
    Ah bummer 're the knobs but should be a simple case of sending out some replacements....

My guitar is due Thursday.... very excited!
  • It is a fantastic guitar for the money. They also appeared to change the strings before shipping, which was likely a necessary step given that the guitars were built in 2016. The new SG Special was also tempting but the PCB wiring was off-putting and they also happen to be twice the price!
  • chromatunachromatuna Frets: 371
    Sorry to hear that yours arrived damaged @TwoToneGreen I hope you get everying sorted and that you are happy with it otherwise. Apologies as I accidentely LOL'd your post, a slip of the finger and it doesn't seem possible to undo it. Mine has new strings too, the inspection sheet from Gibson says it was made in October 2015 and I am still amazed that a batch has popped up new especially as they were orginally for the Japanese market. Very happy with mine, a joy to play and I just love those P90s. Acquired a Hiscox case in great nick for less than half price from eBay as I really don't think hig bags and Gibson headstocks go together. 
    edited April 2019
    Sorry to hear that yours arrived damaged @TwoToneGreen I hope you get everying sorted and that you are happy with it otherwise. Apologies as I accidentely LOL'd your post, a slip of the finger and it doesn't seem possible to undo it. Mine has new strings too, the inspection sheet from Gibson says it was made in October 2015 and I am still amazed that a batch has popped up new especially as they were orginally for the Japanese market. Very happy with mine, a joy to play and I just love those P90s. Acquired a Hiscox case in great nick for less than half price from eBay as I really don't think hig bags and Gibson headstocks go together. 

I'm also on the look out for a case & thought of Hiscox as I use for them my other guitars. How does the case fit the guitar? I've been looking into Gibson Les Paul cases but from what I've read online these allow the Special to move around a little due to thinner body.

Any chance of some pics of your new guitars?

• riverciderrivercider Frets: 461
    The Les Paul Standard for 1400 quid looks like a great deal for anyone who's happy with that colour.  
    edited April 2019
    The Hiscox is a Les Paul Case and designed for a thicker body but with something like a folded towel under the body it holds the guitar securely. I don't seem to be able to embed pictures (doh!) but this should show the set...

https://m.imgur.com/a/Xgj0kw0

• BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    The Les Paul Standard for 1400 quid looks like a great deal for anyone who's happy with that colour.  
    The blue mist one? I think that colour looks good, looks like a more satin finish?
    The Hiscox is a Les Paul Case and designed for a thicker body but with something like a folded towel under the body it holds the guitar securely. I don't seem to be able to embed pictures (doh!) but this should show the set...

https://m.imgur.com/a/Xgj0kw0

Looks great, pleased to see its not a bright red finish & the fretboard is nice and dark... how's the intonation?
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2398
    edited April 2019
    I'm not sure whether to thank you or curse you for this PSA. I'm dangerously tempted by the birdseye Les Paul Standard - they were £2,500ish new, and it would be what my stolen Epiphone birdseye LP always wanted to be. I just can't quite justify it given I already have a Les Paul and a Bernie and a PRS SC...
    Tim
    Sorry @timmypix to be fair though I was only indicating a sub £700 guitar ;-)

The intonation seems fine @JD50 although it’s probably not perfect high up. I checked at 12 on receipt and it was spot on to my ears. I think there are 9s on it but which ones I don’t know. The only thing I have felt the need to adjust is pickup heights.