Blues Deluxe shorting out

What's Hot
Wondering if anyone can help me with this. Sorry for the appalling photo but my Blues Deluxe has this board attached to the metal speaker frame by a rivet. It has two spade connectors coming out of it and two bare wires disappearing off into the speaker cone.

The rivet has sheared off and now the board is flapping around and shorting out the amp when it touches the metal speaker frame.

I was at practice last night when it happened so I just wrapped the part in a load of electrical tape. 

What is this bit and how should I best repair it?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• You can see it more clearly in this photo

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    edited March 2019 tFB Trader
    It's just a mounting point for the crimp. Just reattach it with a cable tie until you can re-rivet it.
  • martinw said:
    It's just a mounting point for the crimp. Just reattach it with a cable the until you can re-rivet it.
    thanks, I'm going to drill out the rivet and replace it with a bolt
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72571
    This is a very common fault with Eminence speakers. Drill or punch the rivet out - be careful not to hit the cone! - and replace it with either a nut and bolt or a coarse-thread self-tapping screw.

While you’re at it, if you have a soldering iron, solder up the two small crimps that hold the cone braids - they sometimes make a bad contact. I personally like to cut the push-connectors off the cable and solder those too, but you may think that’s overkill.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    This is a very common fault with Eminence speakers. Drill or punch the rivet out - be careful not to hit the cone! - and replace it with either a nut and bolt or a coarse-thread self-tapping screw.

While you’re at it, if you have a soldering iron, solder up the two small crimps that hold the cone braids - they sometimes make a bad contact. I personally like to cut the push-connectors off the cable and solder those too, but you may think that’s overkill.
    Brilliant advice, thanks!
  • ICBM said:

you mention cone braids, there are two exposed wires disappearing off into the cone, is that what they are?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72571
    jonnygreentrees said:

you mention cone braids, there are two exposed wires disappearing off into the cone, is that what they are?
    Yes - twisted, or braided depending on the speaker, bare wires. At the terminal, on many Eminences (including these ones, from memory) they are attached just by being crimped into a small folded bit of metal at the top. It's not unknown for this connection to get a bit of corrosion in and stop making contact, making you think the speaker is dead. I always solder them up, as they should have been in the first place...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein