Bought back an old guitar of yours?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2606
    edited April 2019
    When I started playing again after many years' lay off I tried to source the Norlin black Les Paul Custom that was my first high end guitar and which I'd sold a long time previously.  Always a long shot, but my wife managed to track down and contact the buyer.  He no longer had the guitar, though, and since he'd sold it in Denmark Street any chance of tracing it was minimal.

It probably would not have been a sensible buy, other than for purely sentimental reasons.  It would have been too heavy for me now, and if the fret wire on it was anything like the original "fretless wonder" wire I would have hated it.  I didn't know about the advantages of bigger wire back in the day.  Also I have a superb, lighter Les Paul Axcess with jumbo wire and Bareknuckle Mules that sees very little play - I prefer semi-hollow Gibsons or Stratalikes, so it seems I'm just no longer a Les Paul guy.  It would have ended up stuck in a case or stand, gathering dust.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3339
    Yeah funnily enough I’ve bought back my PRS CE 22. It was an all black model with dragon II pickups and five way rotary. Sold it for a CU24 didn’t like the CU so traded back my CE and cash for the CU. 
    Sold it again a few months later though. 

Also sold my musicman Sub one HH guitar and immediately regretted it, git wouldn’t sell it back so I bought a single H version that’s going nowhere ever and is currently my only guitar. 
  • AlexlotlAlexlotl Frets: 175
    I recently had the option of buying back my old Daphne Blue late 90s US Standard Tele, which I bought with my Dad when I was 18. I sold it to a friend ten years ago when moving to NZ, at a great price but on the proviso that I got first refusal on any future sale.

Agonised over what to do, but ultimately let it pass. It had gained quite a few scars in ten years, and the characteristic 90s USA Fender neck lacquer cracking was starting to kick in. Sentimental value lost out to pragmatism - I’m too lazy for a fixer-upper, and I don’t have space to keep a guitar around just for the emotional value. 

Another old friend bought it in the end, and is going to get the neck refinished. Maybe I’ll buy it off him in another 10 years time. 
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    I’ve bought more than a few back and if finances allowed I would have bought one back for the second time recently too.
    he bought one back then I bought it then he bought it back then I bought it.

honest!
  • NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    I’ve done it a few times, especially in cases where I feel I was too quick to shift a guitar the first time. However - it isn’t long before I remember why I moved it on in the first place. The lesson is, don’t go back.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2169
    I should have bought back my first electric, an E series Jap Squier strat. I px'd against a boss chorus pedal (yeah I know) and saw it for sale for £240 a year later. Still regret it twenty years later.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • 5redlights5redlights Frets: 317
    Had a stu hamm MIM urge bass many years ago when I was 16/17 back in Cardiff, that was a gigging bass for a lot of gigs and a fairly fun time in my 'playing career' that nearly resulted in some exciting opportunities. I had no idea who Stu Hamm was; I just saw it in a shop, liked the smaller body size and loved how it played. 

No idea where it is now, would love to get it back. Guess somewhere in South Wales. 

Red body, black pickguard at 2 jazz type single coil pickups if anyone sees one! 
  • kswilson89kswilson89 Frets: 222
    Bought back a '57 hot rod strat, such a good guitar... Sounded fantastic and was really.light weight, V neck... Just fantastic.......... Sold it.
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7208
    pmbomb said:
    I’ve bought more than a few back and if finances allowed I would have bought one back for the second time recently too.
    he bought one back then I bought it then he bought it back then I bought it.

honest!
    Trust me that story isn’t over yet !