NGD Update - FINAL UPDATE

What's Hot
rlwrlw Frets: 4701
edited April 2019 in Guitar
Next weekend, hopping on the train to Scotland to pick this up.  2006 LP Standard with 50s neck, fancy top and utterly unmarked.
All things being equal of course....

httpsiebayimgcom00sMTAyNFg3NjgzwEYAAOSwYmxcnjse_86JPG
Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
0reaction image LOL 14reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 471
    edited March 2019
    Nice looking guitar. I’ve got a 2016 Standard and a Traditional both well built LPs. It’s quite funny but my 2016 Traditional is more like a Standard than the Standard which has lots of switching options and an asymmetric neck . I didn’t know that the 2016  Standard was available with a 50s style neck.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Smart Lester!
    I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Won't the train fare cost more than the guitar?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4701
    Nice looking guitar. I’ve got a 2016 Standard and a Traditional both well built LPs. It’s quite funny but my 2016 Traditional is more like a Standard than the Standard which has lots of switching options and an asymmetric neck . I didn’t know that the 2016  Standard was available with a 50s style neck.
    Oops - you're right.  I meant to say its a 2006.
    The vendor is now playing games I think so this may not happen.  More in due course.
    Sassafras said:
    Won't the train fare cost more than the guitar?
    Its looking likely at the moment.
  • Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 492
    nice!
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    That is stunning, I love the mineral streaks. 2006 was the year they started chambering the LP's, do you know how much it weighs?
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
    edited April 2019
    zepp76 said:
    That is stunning, I love the mineral streaks. 2006 was the year they started chambering the LP's, do you know how much it weighs?
    Vendor says around 8lbs  -  I'll take my scales with me....

Chambering begins in October 2006 apparently, this is an August guitar so we will see.  It's not a huge issue for me as long as it sounds OK.
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    rlw said:
    zepp76 said:
    Vendor says around 8lbs  -  I'll take my scales with me....

Chambering begins in October 2006 apparently, this is an August guitar so we will see.  It's not a huge issue for me as long as it sounds OK.
    I hope it's a really nice player, looks lovely.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • failed_astronautfailed_astronaut Frets: 216
    edited April 2019

@rlw ;; Where is it and would it benefit from someone more local having a look first, just in case it's a wasted trip?

Disclaimer - I'm not looking to gazump your NGD!
    "As with all things, some days you're the dinosaur, some days you're the monkey." Sporky

@rlw ;; Where is it and would it benefit from someone more local having a look first, just in case it's a wasted trip?

Disclaimer - I'm not looking to gazump your NGD!
    Tickets booked so we’re going to Edinburgh come what may.......
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Edinburgh is lovely, enjoy!
    I was last there in1967 so it may have changed a bit....
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941

Nice LP, hope it works out.

I got married in Edinburgh, don't tell my wife though...

8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    So the bloke selling this guitar won’t give me a address or phone number, citing internet scams and the security of the Gumtree site for messaging etc.
     He has already taken the piss a bit by suggesting that he thought I was his friend winding him up and asking to see copies of my tickets to Edinburgh to prove that I wasn’t.  
    I’m really not sure what to make of him - whether he’s genuine or some total nutter or maybe an axe murderer trying to lure innocent LP buyers to a gruesome death.
    He has put the guitar on hold for me, marked as deposit taken, but I’m reluctant to go on a five hour round trip to meet a bloke at a station and hand over 1400 quid.
    Thoughts please.  The guitar is on Gumtree in Edinburgh if you want to check it out but I am perplexed.  If I could get the Gumtree message thread on here, you would be too I think.

• Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 492
    I think a phone number is the least he could provide & whilst we all our quirks and security considerations, he’s a bit extreme to say the least...

Maybe offer to pay his fare to meet you part way? Your ticket will be cheaper and he has to put himself out.

Personally I would just walk away. As keen as you are to get it, and it’s a nice looker, some I just chalk up as not meant to be. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    If it wasnt the other end of the island I'd offer to meet em with ya, just incase they planned to give you a scheme bootin and take your cash. 

Then again I always presume the worst. 

But personally I'd leave it. It could be genuine, but its off enough for you to question it, if you know what I mean.  

The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3219
    Done this a few times and it’s always worked out fine. Arrange the time to meet the guy etc and just ask for a mobile number so you can contact him if there are any delays (we all know what the trains are like). 

I totally get the sellers reluctance to tell you where they live -they could have quite a collection they don’t want to draw attention to. I’ve done the same when it’s gumtree buyers; different when it’s the fretboard, there’s a sense of folk here having your back.
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    Doesn’t trust anyone - lists item on gumtree....

Can’t say I’d be keen about buying a £1500-2000 guitar at a train station. Maybe a £50 pedal but I would want to at least sit down and feel the guitar and hear it through an amp. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom