NGD Update - FINAL UPDATE

What's Hot

Comments

• StevepageStevepage Frets: 3053
    Stunning!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3625
    You could have bought my '04 for a lot less hassle.  ;)

• gordijigordiji Frets: 784
    There's no way i would go to a private sale of this value without tel. no & home address or an email of a collection address.
    As a seller he's got nothing to lose by giving this (if he's straight). As a buyer you've got £1400.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    edited April 2019
    rlw said:
    So the bloke selling this guitar won’t give me a address or phone number, citing internet scams and the security of the Gumtree site for messaging etc.
     He has already taken the piss a bit by suggesting that he thought I was his friend winding him up and asking to see copies of my tickets to Edinburgh to prove that I wasn’t.  
    I’m really not sure what to make of him - whether he’s genuine or some total nutter or maybe an axe murderer trying to lure innocent LP buyers to a gruesome death.
    He has put the guitar on hold for me, marked as deposit taken, but I’m reluctant to go on a five hour round trip to meet a bloke at a station and hand over 1400 quid.
    Thoughts please.  The guitar is on Gumtree in Edinburgh if you want to check it out but I am perplexed.  If I could get the Gumtree message thread on here, you would be too I think.
    That does sound very suspicious. Not giving out any traceable information and meeting someone who will definitely be carrying £1400 in cash at a railway station is a huge red flag.

The guitar does look nice, but if it's "as it left the factory" it wouldn't be top-wrapped and have the pickguard taken off. Small things I know... but personally I would want to check the tailpiece for damage on the back edge if top-wrapping isn't something you do, and that's likely to be difficult at a station. It's also interesting that all four knobs are cracked inside. Either they've been pulled off roughly (why?), or they're far-east repros jammed onto the US-size shafts.

Are the train tickets refundable? I would walk away at this point to be honest. One of us in Edinburgh could probably arrange to look at it for you, but presumably the same unwillingness to give out details would apply.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4701
    I’ll go but with an open mind. It’s not the only one out there. Non refundable tickets so nothing more to lose just going for a look.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12382
    Can you do a money transfer via your mobile rather than toting a big wedge of cash with you? 
  • funhousefunhouse Frets: 124
    edited April 2019
    I'm based in Edinburgh and would be happy to help you out if I can.

I had a similar experience recently (though the reverse of yours) where a guy from Birmingham was interested in buying my Gibson Les Paul Custom 57 reissue, which I had advertised on Gumtree. I discussed the price and arranged to meet him at at a rehearsal room, which he booked, in Newcastle.

When I met him he dicked me about on the price and then said he would have to make two separate PayPal payments, which I wasn't at all happy about. Though I took a hit on the 'agreed' advertised price, I came out of the deal ok, and I made sure that the payments had gone through by confirming with my bank that the money was in my account, before handing over the guitar. But it still left an unpleasant taste in my mouth.

There is a rehearsal room, which I use, called Colorsound, which is almost directly opposite Haymarket station. If you could book a room there it would give you a chance to try the guitar and have the comfort of knowing there are other people around if/when you hand over the money.

I would proceed with caution though. I always insist on having the buyer/seller's mobile number and email address as a minimum and carry out some due dilligence online before proceeding.

Lovely looking guitar though!
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921
    Yeah mobile number and email seems mandatory. 
    Can understand someone not giving out their address to a stranger. I always meet people at my work when I'm selling.
    I have always met buyers at mine and sellers at theirs, except for a couple of long distance transactions.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    For that amount of money id want to go to his gaff. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    £1400 cash in hand and none of his personal details?  No chance, I'd already have forgotten all about it.  

Train station, rehearsal room, "someone's" house, all the same without any personal details, not worth the risk.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WonkyWonky Frets: 188
    The only thing that would worry me is carrying the cash.  Couldn't you just do friends and family Paypal payment if the guitar tests ok?
  • SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 832
    rlw said:
    So the bloke selling this guitar won’t give me a address or phone number, citing internet scams and the security of the Gumtree site for messaging etc.
     He has already taken the piss a bit by suggesting that he thought I was his friend winding him up and asking to see copies of my tickets to Edinburgh to prove that I wasn’t.  
    I’m really not sure what to make of him - whether he’s genuine or some total nutter or maybe an axe murderer trying to lure innocent LP buyers to a gruesome death.
    He has put the guitar on hold for me, marked as deposit taken, but I’m reluctant to go on a five hour round trip to meet a bloke at a station and hand over 1400 quid.
    Thoughts please.  The guitar is on Gumtree in Edinburgh if you want to check it out but I am perplexed.  If I could get the Gumtree message thread on here, you would be too I think.

Personally I think he should be giving you at least his mobile number as you have made a huge commitment in buying train tickets to go up to Edinburgh. Trust only seems to be going in one direction in my opinion.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    Concerns about honesty aside, I have two thoughts here:

A train station like Edinburgh Waverley is a good place to meet. Lots of people, police and cameras. 

I still wouldn't be shelling out 1400 for a guitar I couldn't plug in and play first. He may be genuine, but I'd want to make sure it didn't need work for that much.
  • Can you just organise a courier and use PayPal? The fees would probably be cheaper than the train ticket. If in doubt pull out....
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6079
    I’d be wary of meeting the seller with cash in my pocket. Could you inspect the guitar and then, if you are happy, visit your bank with him and do the handover inside once you’ve withdrawn cash? Probably unnecessary but better safe than robbed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Simon_MSimon_M Frets: 542
    I think we’ve established the collective wisdom: caveat emptor. Don’t waste those train tickets though, Edinburgh is a fantastic city with some great things to do. If you haven’t much time, definitely walk up the Scott monument for some good views and a wander up the high street to the castle. If you’ve got lots of time, Arthur’s Seat is a superb short walk and a potter around the castle or the palace very enjoyable. The botanical gardens are one of my favourite places but it may be a bit early in the season.
    Fuck it.  I’m not bothering as the bloke is just a pain in the arse.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
  • rlw said:
    Fuck it.  I’m not bothering as the bloke is just a pain in the arse.
    ... is the correct answer.