Strat experts, what questions should I be asking about a Strat in the Classifieds?

What's Hot
paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
First off I should state I'm not trying to derail @jimkehoe Strat sale in our very own classifieds, I'm genuinely interested, but haven't the knowledge to ask the right questions or to satisfy myself that it is ok?
I'm not sure I'm comfortable posting this, but have no other idea how to procede.....

This is the ad
http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/153356/fs-ft-fender-mark-knopfler-signature-stratocaster-guitar-hot-rod-red#latest

I nearly bought a high end Strat on here recently which turned out to be a fake, luckily the owner was able to return it to the person he got it from and get a refund..... hence my questions.....
So my thoughts and how could I be sure its pukka?

1, For whatver reason the neck has been replaced, pretty lucky for the previous owner to find a Knopfler neck to replace a broken Knopfler neck as they must be pretty rare, unless of course Fender supplied one?

2, If it is a genuine Knopfler neck, what would prove the body and hardware to be correct? Could it be a Knopfler neck on any ol Fender body?

What should I ask to see to check it out?

I'm on the Isle of Wight so travelling isn't an option, so I'm buying blind........

Thanks folks!

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    I feel a bit odd about this post so I've flagged my own post to the mods!.....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• jimkehoejimkehoe Frets: 208
    @paulnb57 - Please see my response on original thread. Also please note you wouldn't be buying blind as I will not send the guitar and will only sell to someone who tries it first and collects it.
    Regards
    Jim.
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4263
    paulnb57 said:
    I feel a bit odd about this post so I've flagged my own post to the mods!.....
    You'll get hairy palms flagging your own post too often.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14267
    tFB Trader
    Fender have been known to exchange a faulty neck for a new replacement - As you say for whatever reason that maybe - Generally they will not send the replacement neck to the customer to exchange, or indeed the appropriate dealer - This is because they want to keep the 'damaged' neck and stop it been sold on the open market - So chances are Fender will have handled all the exchange and appropriate check-up set up in the UK workshop - Would be interesting on what would happen now if a claim was made on a MK Strat as unless they have any 'blanks' left in the store room, they don't make such a guitar now

The MK Strat is highly sought after, partly as it is MK and partly as they no longer make it

I don't see any issues based on the few pics I have seen - @jimkehoe has been up front about any changes - Certainly regarding an identical neck he did not need to be as the only give away will be an date info on the neck itself

Does it include the correct case and any tags etc
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11449

The MK Strat is highly sought after, partly as it is MK and partly as they no longer make it

Don't know why.

I tried one in a shop alongside a Mexican Classic Series, and the Mexican guitar blew it away tonally.

Not sure whether it's just the horrible Texas Special pickups in the Knopfler, or that particular one being made from a bad piece of wood (or a bit of both), but it really didn't sound good.

If the OP does go ahead and buy it, he should budget for a pickup change.

Personally, I wouldn't buy without being able to try first.  I've got an AVRI 62 reissue from the early 2000's, which is a really good guitar.  I've tried several others and most of them sounded lifeless in comparison to mine.  There are probably Knopfler Strats out there that are made from a good piece of wood, but based on the one I played, there is no way I'd buy without trying.
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1015
    edited April 2019
    The only thing I'd say is that those fret ends look a bit strange in the photo which shows the chip at the neck pocket. It's probably just a trick of the light/photo, but they look vertical to me, rather than being angled back. Maybe it's just because they are at the higher fret positions on the bass side. They are jumbo frets too, which is correct for the spec, so maybe it's because of that that they look more vertical than normal.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    crunchman said:

Don't know why.

I tried one in a shop alongside a Mexican Classic Series, and the Mexican guitar blew it away tonally.

Not sure whether it's just the horrible Texas Special pickups in the Knopfler, or that particular one being made from a bad piece of wood (or a bit of both), but it really didn't sound good.

Personally, I wouldn't buy without being able to try first.  I've got an AVRI 62 reissue from the early 2000's, which is a really good guitar.  I've tried several others and most of them sounded lifeless in comparison to mine.  There are probably Knopfler Strats out there that are made from a good piece of wood, but based on the one I played, there is no way I'd buy without trying.
    Lots of people actually like the Texas Specials, me included, and your opinion on 2 guitars doesnt make all MK's inferior to all Classic Series
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • jimkehoejimkehoe Frets: 208
    For clarity:
    My original reply to concerns on the sale thread:

paulnb57 said:
    Interested, but not sure how to prove its all legit, no offence intended!
    Ive also asked for forum advice here......

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/153470/strat-experts-what-questions-should-i-be-asking-about-a-strat-in-the-classifieds?new=1

Paul - no problems at all and I fully understand. I have been totally upfront and honest. I bought the guitar from a person known to me through a mutual friend. I subsequently had some work done on the guitar by Charlie Chandler who I also consider a friend. Charlie is an acknowledged expert luthier and has worked on some of the most famous strats in the world including Gilmour's Clapton's and Beck's to name a few. 
    I asked Charlie about it and he stated it is exactly the right spec, parts and makeup and in his opinion checks out - including the neck. When I questioned about the neck he replied that it is not that unusual to replace a neck due to damage, faults etc and again said in his opinion it is a genuine 2012 Knopfler neck. Several guitarists have played the guitar and marvelled about how good it is. I have good feedback both on this forum and on EBay etc. Unfortunately I don't play or need it at the moment and really need to finance a new(er) iPad. I predominantly play acoustic these days and if I pick up an electric it 'tends to be my old Jap tele which I have had forever. Knopfler signature strats fetch up to £2000 so I feel I have priced it appropriately given all the circumstances. I am also more than happy for anyone to come to my place and play it and check it out without any firm commitment to buy. I would only be happy selling to someone who has checked it out, played it and loves it. I have had numerous strats over the years and in my opinion this is a real cracker regardless of it being a Knopfler signature model. As I say the only issue I have which us not a fault is I find the 7.25 vintage neck radius difficult to get used to.
    Hope that answers your concerns.
    Kind regards....Jim.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11449
    John_A said:
    crunchman said:

Don't know why.

Lots of people actually like the Texas Specials, me included, and your opinion on 2 guitars doesnt make all MK's inferior to all Classic Series
    It doesn't invalidate what I said about trying them though.  And that's not just based on those two guitars.  That's based on trying a lot of guitars over the years.  If you can find a good one, then great, but I wouldn't buy one without playing it.

Texas Specials may be a matter of taste, but you can always add a bit more gain to a lower output pickup.  It's very hard to get back the top end detail in the sound that you lose with overwound pickups.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14434
    The neck replacement sounds to me like standard dealership Return To Fender procedure.

They do all the work. They verify and warranty any replacement parts. They take possession of any defective parts - partly to prevent fraudulent resale, partly, perhaps, for QA reasons.

The return process should generate a paperwork trail. This would be a handy way to varify any aspect that later gets queried.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    crunchman said:
    John_A said:
    crunchman said:

Don't know why.

It doesn't invalidate what I said about trying them though.  And that's not just based on those two guitars.  That's based on trying a lot of guitars over the years.  If you can find a good one, then great, but I wouldn't buy one without playing it.

Texas Specials may be a matter of taste, but you can always add a bit more gain to a lower output pickup.  It's very hard to get back the top end detail in the sound that you lose with overwound pickups.
    Yes, totally valid points.  I personally like a bit of a hot pickup, as mostly a humbucker player I find trad strat pickups a bit thin.  Jest preference though, plenty of people make great noises with vintage pickups, I'm just not one of them :)
    Thanks for the responses folks and to Jim for his understanding.......all pretty academic as it's collect only......oh, well.....

• GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    paulnb57 said:
    Thanks for the responses folks and to Jim for his understanding.......all pretty academic as it's collect only......oh, well.....
    Well... 

At least Jim got a bump out of his ad.
  • ... sounds to me like standard dealership Return To Fender... 

Didn't Elvis sing about this very same thing?
  • paulnb57 said:

Get on that ferry, mate! Dorking's a nice part of the world, and I imagine that @jimkehoe will make you a lovely cup of tea to greet you ;-) Having seen some of the things that Jim's flogged over the years, I wouldn't mind betting he has some nice goodies stashed away there that he might let you play too!
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075
    paulnb57 said:

I'm on the Isle of Wight so travelling isn't an option, so I'm buying blind........

I thought the Isle of Wight was a holiday destination, not an internment camp.
    SNAKEBITE said:
    paulnb57 said:

Ferry fare will be around £80 plus fuel etc, blah blah.....

• GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    paulnb57 said:
    SNAKEBITE said:
    paulnb57 said:

You could at least send him a packet of chocolate biccies for tyre kicking about a guitar you were never going to buy ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    lonestar said:
    paulnb57 said:
    SNAKEBITE said:
    paulnb57 said:

You could at least send him a packet of chocolate biccies for tyre kicking about a guitar you were never going to buy ;)
    Who said I was never going to buy?.....

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom