A (comparatively) cheap Fender masterbuild?

What's Hot
Hi all,

I'm just wondering why this is priced like it is? Do B-benders really devalue a guitar that much? I ask as I've always wanted one lol. Or are masterbuilds just devalued.

https://www.coda-music.com/feneder-c-ustom-shop-masterbuilt-69-nos-telecaster-custom-sunburst-r38410-secondhand.html

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14321
    tFB Trader
    NOS + B bender will limit any potential  interest to many - I know many customers hate a relic finish, but NOS finishes are always far harder to sell, for whatever reason - B bender might create big interest in Nashville, but a negative feature for many in the UK  - You don't have to use it I suppose

Overall it looks a good price - certainly a lot of guitar for the money - 
  • Ah interesting, didn't think about the finish. 
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 760
    NOS + B bender will limit any potential  interest to many - I know many customers hate a relic finish, but NOS finishes are always far harder to sell, for whatever reason - B bender might create big interest in Nashville, but a negative feature for many in the UK  - You don't have to use it I suppose

That’s really interesting- I was thinking of going custom shop in the next couple of years but almost certainly would want a NOS - are they cheaper initially given they don’t have to go through the ‘relicing’ process??
  • wait so does NOS mean that the finish is simply not aged?
    tFB Trader

That’s really interesting- I was thinking of going custom shop in the next couple of years but almost certainly would want a NOS - are they cheaper initially given they don’t have to go through the ‘relicing’ process??
    wait so does NOS mean that the finish is simply not aged?
    NOS is a new shiny gloss finish - New Old Stock hence NOS - Imagine your dad brought the guitar new in 1960 - Never played since, an you've just found it under the bed - So not aged at all - That includes hardware, finish, with no played in vibe on the neck, although some have a hint of satin - Satin can be easily achieved on a gloss neck, as it is easy to cut back a touch, to remove some of that shiny new gloss for a silky smooth vibe 

Yes NOS is cheaper to produce - as you said no relic process - such a process is time and for any production process time is money 
    tFB Trader
    It is a very tempting price - You'd pay that price for a used C/Shop model now

New Masterbuilt now is far closer to 5K, with many costing more than that
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9586
    Great price
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10265
    edited April 2019
    It’s not for me but it’s cool in any case!

it is an older masterbuilt so that might have something to do with it. 
  • dannyboy82dannyboy82 Frets: 150
    It's also worth bearing in mind that coda are just about the most reasonable out there when it comes to second hand gear. I just bought a 2016 NOS '55 Strat from them for £1699. Going by the prices CS Fenders seem to go for on here and eBay that's a great price considering their overheads etc. Let alone the prices being asked by proper online retailers/shops.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Lovely Jason Smith on there for 4200.

That tele is very cheap but B Bender - I wonder how many people on here have a guitar with one? I'd guess maybe one or none. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5058
    The fact that the B-bender is retrofitted means it’s non-original (or as some would say, it’s been messed with...) and that devalues it too.

Plus it’s very heavy for a Tele at 8lb 6oz. Maybe the B-bender adds weight, even though a fair bit of wood is routed out to make room for it, but that is moving into Les Paul weight territory. 
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • How much would a master built have been in 2009?  I fancy a B Bender but you would need el grande cajones  to install one in a master built.

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hmmm.... look very carefully at the advert.... the title says it all...

Feneder  C  ustom

Not sure what the going rate is for a Feneder.... even in ustom form.
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    edited April 2019
    Lovely Jason Smith on there for 4200.

That tele is very cheap but B Bender - I wonder how many people on here have a guitar with one? I'd guess maybe one or none. 
    Me.

As for devaluing the price, it depends on who made the B-Bender - IMO  The one on the guitar for sale is an Evans Pull-String.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2423
    A B-bender would definitely add value for me! Still not paying upwards of £2k for a Tele though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • danny_777danny_777 Frets: 660
    Hi all,

I'm just wondering why this is priced like it is? Do B-benders really devalue a guitar that much? I ask as I've always wanted one lol. Or are masterbuilds just devalued.

https://www.coda-music.com/feneder-c-ustom-shop-masterbuilt-69-nos-telecaster-custom-sunburst-r38410-secondhand.html

The B-Bender on this guitar is a very intrusive one that requires the entire back to be routed - this is the reason for the devaluation. Alternative systems require much less work to the guitar. 
  • ah that's interesting. I definitely want one lol.
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5058
    Hmmm.... look very carefully at the advert.... the title says it all...

Feneder  C  ustom.
    Er... that’s in the URL not in the advert title  ;)
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • Hmmm.... look very carefully at the advert.... the title says it all...

Feneder  C  ustom.
    Er... that’s in the URL not in the advert title  ;)

Er not quite.... yesterday, it was also on the Coda web page (the advert title/heading)... but they've since corrected it.  :-)

• Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2402
    This aftermarket modification is obviously pretty epic so has been reflected in the price we are asking for it!

Honest stuff from Coda...yep they have ruined a good guitar. I've seen a whole lot more subtle B-Benders than that.Have a look at what Joe Glaser does for Brad Paisley. The weight too at 8lb 6oz would be prohibitive for many.