Selling guitars - ebay alternatives?

What's Hot
gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 895
I want to sell a couple of guitars - probably worth 800-1500 ish. I've only ever used ebay for this kind of thing but the 10% fees are putting me off. What would you guys recommend - Gumtree?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4671
    You do realise there is a classified section on here ? 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5025
    I'd wait until they have their regular £1 commission offer. Gumtree seems to have gone off the boil recently to the extent that I don't bother with it any more. Here is great, although no-one's bought my Columbus yet, which has shaken me to the core. For me, I'd say eBay (at £1 commission) and this forum. I've tried Reverb, and I'm told that it's increasing in popularity, but I don't ship or take PayPal, and that muddies it a bit for me. 
    Call me Dave.
  • gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 895
    £1 commission? Is that a thing?
    Yes, every couple of weeks at the moment. The last one was just over a week ago, and if their recent form is anything to go by, there should be another one in a few days. 
    Call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12352
    If you’re an eBay member you’ll get offers check your eBay messages I get one a month with the £1 fee on any amount, it’s well worth it
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • cbakaycbakay Frets: 67
    edited April 2019
    The fretboard classifieds...
  • KeikoKeiko Frets: 998
    edited April 2019
    If you want your stuff to sell, you should use more than one website anyway, that is just laziness. Reverb.com, social media, shpock, gumtree, various guitar forums. List on all of them. The bigger the view count, the more likely it will sell.  Just remember to delete all of your ads once it has sold.

Avoid ebay, it sucks.
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4671
    Last couple of things I have sold, sold through Reverb, both went to EU ( Belgium and Norway) no hassles at all, both sold within 2 days as well 
    DB1 said:
    Yes, every couple of weeks at the moment. The last one was just over a week ago, and if their recent form is anything to go by, there should be another one in a few days. 
    Is that not just listing fees? I thought the 10% final value fee still stood...
    edited July 2020
  • steveledzepsteveledzep Frets: 1174
    Listing is free for up to 100 items.  The £1 flat commission fee is usually for 2,3 or 4 days and seems to be appearing fortnightly at the moment.  EBay works very well, it's up to you to make excellent listings and to manage your account.
    gringopig said:
    DB1 said:
    Is that not just listing fees? I thought the 10% final value fee still stood...
    No it's £1 max fee whatever the selling price. PayPal fees still are levied
    Oh cool - I'll keep an eye out. Ta. :)
    edited July 2020
  • Facebook have numerous guitar selling groups. 
    gringopig said:
    Listing is free for up to 100 items.  The £1 flat commission fee is usually for 2,3 or 4 days and seems to be appearing fortnightly at the moment.  EBay works very well, it's up to you to make excellent listings and to manage your account.
    Just don't do what I did and assume the item had to be listed and sell between the dates of the offer. I removed the listing at the end of the period.
    DOH!
    Once listed, the listing and £1 max selling fee last until sale - whenever that may be as long as you don't revise it in any way. So get it right before the listing period ends then wait....
    You can revise that ad, I think, but not change the listing format. I've revised mine many times, adding pics, changing text, etc and still got the £1 final charge. With eBay, you have to kiss a lot of frogs to find a prince, but it gives you exposure to a lot of people. I must have sold about £15000 worth on there in the past few months, with the £1 offer. To be fair, I've sold about £7500 worth on here as well. 
    Call me Dave.
  • steveledzepsteveledzep Frets: 1174
    DB1 said:
    gringopig said:
    Just don't do what I did and assume the item had to be listed and sell between the dates of the offer. I removed the listing at the end of the period.
    DOH!
    Once listed, the listing and £1 max selling fee last until sale - whenever that may be as long as you don't revise it in any way. So get it right before the listing period ends then wait....
    You can revise that ad, I think, but not change the listing format. 
    That's correct.  Don't opt for automatic re-listing if it doesn't sell because the £1 selling fee doesn't carry forward.
    gringopig said:
    DOH!
    I'm glad you posted that coz I was wondering... :)
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    I never get notified of these £1 promotions :(

I think it's because I opened my account 20 plus years ago, when there wasn't a descrete UK ebay, so I'm permanently stuck as being in the US.

Can people please notify us then the promos happen? 
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5426
    edited April 2019
    I actually had some luck last year on Facebook Marketplace - both guitars around £600 mind you. But they went fast - like within 48 hours of creating ads.