TPS - Danhere and Mickhere get a Jazzmaster

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075
    gringopig said:

and they played 'Walk don't Run'. Good God why do people play all that stuff on a Jazz.

It's the law.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4189
    edited April 2019
    Awesome guitars, wouldn’t part with mine

https://i.imgur.com/GZy7WD9.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9660
    edited April 2019
    I got round to watching this last night. If I found one of those (I have the Jaguar equivalent) for £600 I’d buy it in a flash!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yesterday’s Ed O’Brien TPS was one of their best, along with the Graham Coxon one, inspiring. 

https://youtu.be/YK4Fmrlqz3I
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16113
    Sorry but they have started to annoy me .......silly faces, over nerdy and humourless .........and every episode is the same.
    Yawn.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Dominic said:
    Sorry but they have started to annoy me .......silly faces, over nerdy and humourless .........and every episode is the same.
    Yawn.
    I feel that way with the volume of drive pedal reviews and amp setup videos.
    I really liked the Ed O'Brien video though
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • kt66kt66 Frets: 315
    Rather than going to the trouble of changing pots, why not just turn the tone/treble down?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • paddybpaddyb Frets: 31
     I have the roadworn version of that jazzmaster and I would not sell it (also kinda regret selling the jaguar from the same series that I had).
    I had stopped watching the show but the Ed O’Brien one popped up yesterday. I watched it and thought it was great.
  • wesker123wesker123 Frets: 496
    The guest episodes are best ones.
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    kt66 said:
    Rather than going to the trouble of changing pots, why not just turn the tone/treble down?
    Exactly. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11461
    The episode at Rift Amps was good for the first three quarters of an hour (at Rift when they were building the amps).  When they got back to their studio to demo them, it got very slow.

I'm not that fussed about the Jazzmaster though.  I have no desire to own one.  To me, offsets are the hipster beards of the guitar world.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    crunchman said:
    I'm not that fussed about the Jazzmaster though.  I have no desire to own one.  To me, offsets are the hipster beards of the guitar world.
    how wrong you are
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    It’s just another guitar. It’ll sound brilliant in the right hands though ;)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    I love jazzmasters. Probably because Grant from feeder uses them and when they’re loaded with Mojo pickups they’re absolutely outstanding guitars. Not sure where the “hipster” thing is coming from... if you’re meaning that it’s a guitar that the masses have jumped on, popularised before getting bored and moving onto the next big thing then surely  that’s a Gibson’s R9 around these parts ;)

In all seriousness though, it is a guitar associated with surf music or fuzz/grunge. I think Dan would have more fun with it in the long run than Mick. Mick is very much a Strat man.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27133
    I love jazzmasters. Probably because Grant from feeder uses them and when they’re loaded with Mojo pickups they’re absolutely outstanding guitars. Not sure where the “hipster” thing is coming from... if you’re meaning that it’s a guitar that the masses have jumped on, popularised before getting bored and moving onto the next big thing then surely  that’s a Gibson’s R9 around these parts ;)

In all seriousness though, it is a guitar associated with surf music or fuzz/grunge. I think Dan would have more fun with it in the long run than Mick. Mick is very much a Strat man.
    Completely agree. 

I think what many "naysayers" don't necessarily realise is that us who like JMs like them *because* they're different to Strats, Teles and Gibsons. Judging from the share of screentime, Mick barely even likes his own non-Strat guitars, so he's very unlikely to enjoy a JM or Jag. And that's perfectly ok :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4189
    Mojo's in my Jazzmaster too, along with the full Mastery bridge setup. I'm predominantly a Strat player but a good Jazzmaster has an almost  indescribable  "something" very hard to put my finger on it but it's just awesome 
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    @stickyfiddle absolutely, I couldn’t believe how amazing the last one I built sounded. It had Marc’s pickups in it and when I ran it into the Lonestar it was immediately giving my “just the way I’m feeling”. I haven’t played any other guitar that sounds remotely like it. And that is the reason I’ll be adding one to my collection soon. 
  • xchrisvxchrisv Frets: 573
    We’ve had a couple of killer-sounding old Jazzmasters in over the last year. This was probably my favourite sounding guitar of 2018 (albeit built in 1959!) https://youtu.be/f_kjDTRn2FQ

...and this thing is a wonderful machine, too: https://youtu.be/DWL_uyf1QCw
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    Yesterday’s Ed O’Brien TPS was one of their best, along with the Graham Coxon one, inspiring. 

https://youtu.be/YK4Fmrlqz3I
    Never really seen much of Ed before but what a guy 
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    crunchman said:

I have a Jazzmater. And a Jaguar. I don't have a beard, but I do have a plaid shirt. So I'm good. ;-)