Strings. Which ones do you use?

What's Hot

Comments

• MonkeyboneMonkeybone Frets: 275
    Regular Slinky for me. Tried the Cobalt variety once, quite nice but stuck with the originals  Also tried Rotosounds one occasion, horrible strings. 

My band - Crimson on Silver  For sale - Blackstar HT-5S

Gear - Guitars, amps, effects and shizz. Edited for Phil_aka_Pip, who is allergic to big long lists.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3641
    Whatever is on offer at the time. 

As long as they are the right gauge and a decent make I don't really care. 
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    D'Addario 9-42 here too.  They last for absolutely ages.
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2227
    D'addario 11s or 10s.  Haven't tried anything different for years. 
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5187
    edited April 2019
    I use D’Addario 10-46 on my Strat and Les Paul. They tune up really quickly without the need for lots of stretching in and retuning, and I bought 12 sets so they’ll last me bloody ages. I’ve just got a  nice acoustic, so I’ll read this post with interest to see what people rate. 
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    tFB Trader
    Ernie ball or rotosound 9s or 10s. Although I sometimes get hybrid 9s if I’m feeling sassy. Never heard or felt any difference at all when I’ve paid £10+ for a set tbh
  • My favorite D'Addario 9-42 ,just put Gibson brite wires on LP and like them as well.
  • Rotosound Pinks, which are 9-42.  I'm not sure what they're made of, but they work for me.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4729
    edited April 2019
    D'addario 09-42...sound great and long lasting. But I like GHS Boomers on my 1969 hard tail strat, as they sound brighter, snappier and ringier if you know what I mean. I also quite like Ernie Ball super slinkys (pink set) although they don't seem to last quite as long as the d'addarios. 

The only problem with D'addarios are the packaging where they link 2 strings together.  It's ok if you're doing a full string change, but awkward if you are changing a single string in a hurry on a dimly lit stage.  Which is why I take a pink set of EBs to gigs because each string is then in a separate envelope.  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8763
    Yep. If a string breaks I change guitar, but I always carry a couple of spare 10s.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • MilkMilk Frets: 84
    Same strings as above. i used to play with 10s but after buying a guitar with 9s on it was like a whole new expierience for me and have never turned back
  • I use 3 different string gauges for different tunings and guitars. But always been an Ernie Ball user. 10's for standard tuning on my Fenders. 10-52's for standard/drop d and any other low tunings down to drop b on my Les Paul and then 12-56's on my other Les Paul in drop b.
  • horseheadhorsehead Frets: 220
    edited April 2019
    I've noticed in this thread there seems like there is a lot of standard 9-42 users. Is the whole SRV thing fallen away now?
    I still play 11's, but I'm and old stick in the mud
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72669
    I used to use 11s on everything, but after I broke my arm last year I had to go down to 10s on a Fender scale. It’s not a huge difference, but it is noticeably easier. 

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Fairly certain I have two E’s, an A, a B, there’s deffo a D, possibly a G in there as well... 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3346
    For 25.5-25.0 scale guitars I like Ernie ball 10-52. 
    For a 24.75 scale I like elixir optiwebs they have a nice tension to them that makes them feel the same as my fender scale guitars. 
  • In all my years of gigging, with 24.75" scale, D'addario 11s, tuned to Drop C.

All my guitars now are 25.5" and I'm on 10s in drop D. I'm in the process of retuning down to C though, but I'm going to stay with the 10s for now and see how I get on
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3608
    Elixir have saved me a lot of money in recent years.
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2212
    So. 

On the unwound strings, how is any string going to last longer than any other? I’ve tried Elixir’s ages ago and they went furry where the plastic coating wore. Nasty. 

Ive just always used Rotosound 10’s on pretty much everything, but I’d be intrigued to try something a bit different. 
    They do seem to lose their shine after about 1 gig, but I can’t imagine any other string being any different?? 

I very rarely break strings, and I’ll change them every couple of gigs depending how much they’ve been played during the week. 

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4046
    No one else using 8s?
    D'addario 8-38 on a JM tuned down half a step to Eb.

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom