2k to spend on a used PRS

What's Hot
sherpa_mansherpa_man Frets: 724
What do I buy. I know very little about prs, the gas is strong.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    Get a DGT.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14273
    tFB Trader
    Good shout on a DGT

Are you more rock orientated in which case many lean towards a Custom 24

Rock/Blues, in the classic LP vibe, then yes a DGT - More versatile with trem + single coil option

Pure LP territory then a 594 

Strat style then a Silver Sky but I'd prefer a Strat
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • sherpa_mansherpa_man Frets: 724
    More rock style.  Looking at the custom 24, they look great. The prices are all over the place.
    tFB Trader
    More rock style.  Looking at the custom 24, they look great. The prices are all over the place.
    depends on age - later models have 'upgraded' pick-ups (85/15 etc) - Earlier models have the HFS + Vintage Bass

10 top adds to the price - cosmetic upgrade like bird inlays, which again adds to the price - But no performance enhancing qualities - ie colour coded bumper syndrome

Case + tags + condition impacts the price 

Not sure about private prices but shop prices around £1500/1600 to £2000 based on the above - new examples now around £3000

Should be plenty of options - One good think about PRS is a high level of consistency - You should not come across a bad example and the difference between 2 good examples is far more minimal - Not saying non existent, but far less variation than on a Gibson
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • MistyMisty Frets: 135
    I owned several Custom 24's and a Custom 22 in years gone by, but eventually decided I just didn't get on with them, and have been very happy with Fenders and Gibsons ever since, I still have some nice ones. A year ago though, I sold an old Tele I'd owned for 20 years and bought a new PRS DGT. Fantastic guitar, no fancy inlays or anything, not a 10 top but a nice looker without being OTT, just a really great instrument. At least try one.....

• £2k is a great budget and you can get a lot.  I'd start by narrowing down the body shape you want, whether you want a trem, and the neck carve you'd prefer.

If you're ok with a few dings you can get great deals on high spec models because a lot of the buyers want pristine (plus tags etc).  But in general the quality is good regardless of the model, I don't remember playing a bad one.

I'm a rock/metal player and I prefer the 22 fret models, they're closer in ergonomics to a Strat/Tele/Les Paul type of playing position.  The 24 fret models have the neck moved further over to your fretting hand side, something worth trying out before buying.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

• 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited April 2019
    DGT all the way. It's like having a Tele and LP in one with a bit of Stratiness, too.

It's completely different to any other PRS I've owned or played.

And if you get one and it comes with 11s, try and stick with it if it's not your gauge as I think that's part of 'it's thing'. Surprisingly enough, they probably won't feel like 11s and you can get used to them in time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • markjmarkj Frets: 914
    Had a DGT. Custom 24. Also had a Stripped 58. Would definitely go with a DGT, as simple as that.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3323
    edited April 2019
    Curve ball but a CU22 hardtail or even a McCarty would be my choice actually my choice would be a Vela. 
    Im very much a rock/metal guy and have owned a lot of PRS models and I’d pick a Vela over any of them. 
    Plenty of cash left too. 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11905
    I have seen used models in pretty woods stupidly cheap over the last 2-3 years
    I got a 22 with nitro and special pickups in a swap that was quite cheap to my mind
  • Save another grand and try to find a Modern Eagle 1. You might be lucky and find a used one for 2600-2800.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7148
    What do I buy. I know very little about prs, the gas is strong.
    Hard tail or trem?

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 492
    I played a nice Santana 3 in Guitar Classics in Battersea today. Really nice! 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24808
    DGT - the best humbucking guitar I’ve owned - including a vintage (‘64) 335.

You should buy @RandallFlagg’s in the classifieds....
    tFB Trader

I'm a rock/metal player and I prefer the 22 fret models, they're closer in ergonomics to a Strat/Tele/Les Paul type of playing position.  The 24 fret models have the neck moved further over to your fretting hand side, something worth trying out before buying.

that is the reason the 22 came about - because of how they sit - the traditional player preferred that arrangement
    tFB Trader
    Save another grand and try to find a Modern Eagle 1. You might be lucky and find a used one for 2600-2800.
    I'd probably buy a clean used ME1 for that and sell for more - The DGT and ME share the same chassis - The ME1 is IMO Paul's answer to the 59 LP - A mighty fine bit of kit
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    DGT - the best humbucking guitar I’ve owned - including a vintage (‘64) 335.

You should buy @RandallFlagg’s in the classifieds....
    It's sold!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BGGBGG Frets: 689
    DGT DGT DGT DGT DGT DGT DGT DGT DGT DGT DGT DGT DGT DGT DGT DGT DGT DGT DGT DGT ;)
    #thebatesmotelband