Is it just me? Ebay prices.

What's Hot
DavemateDavemate Frets: 68
Is it just me or are the used prices for fender and gibson stuff rocketing out of control, ? Ive just been browsing on there and 75% of the custom shop stuff is ridiculous.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mgawmgaw Frets: 5279
    no you are totally correct, high end guitars have got very expensive in some cases, though saying that there are many good deals on gibsons to be had 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14284
    tFB Trader
    New examples have seen humongous price increases - As such used prices are climbing on board
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    eBay prices are often inflated because of the exorbitant fees. Also, a lot of the guitars on there are listed by bedroom dealers at unrealistic prices. The listing price is often no indication of the sale price.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Just because they are listed at silly prices it doesn't mean they are selling for that
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2041
    Brize said:
    eBay prices are often inflated because of the exorbitant fees. Also, a lot of the guitars on there are listed by bedroom dealers at unrealistic prices. The listing price is often no indication of the sale price.
    Fees are regularly £1 and I'd not call that exorbitant.  However I do agree that it's only actual selling prices that matter, not asking prices.
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3968
    I’ve had a few but have given up on owning a CS Gibson again, and I’m ok with it because there’s plenty of great guitars for much less money.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14447
    Davemate said:
    Is it just me or are the used prices for fender and gibson stuff rocketing out of control? I've just been browsing on there and 75% of the custom shop stuff is ridiculous.
    As prices on brand new American guitars, basses and amplifiers increase, the asking prices for pre-owned examples follow suit.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7878
    Asking prices and selling prices are very different things. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DavemateDavemate Frets: 68
    I appreciate the comments guys but for me ill do my shopping on here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9637
    What they’re asking and what they eventually sell for are *very* different things.
  • GG have been marking up used Les Pauls to £1600 mark and haven’t sold any of them yet there are still people on FB boards etc thinking they will get £1800 for there’s. 

Madness!
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 887
    I generally don’t get Custom Shop prices and particularly the demand for them. If you want a flamed neck, light body, chunky neck, hand wound pickups, etc, etc, spend £1000 on partscaster. It’s not like Fender CS are going to put a guitar together then dismantle it, swap parts around until it sounds great. You have a much better chance of owning a great sounding and personalised guitar if you work with a luthier from the off. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3493
    Cleaver marketing and product modeling by Gibo and Fender , if their second hand values hold well (rare, nice spec, colours etc) then the inclination to buy new will be greater, they flooded and saturated the new guitar market decades ago.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Zoolooter said:
    I generally don’t get Custom Shop prices and particularly the demand for them. If you want a flamed neck, light body, chunky neck, hand wound pickups, etc, etc, spend £1000 on partscaster. It’s not like Fender CS are going to put a guitar together then dismantle it, swap parts around until it sounds great. You have a much better chance of owning a great sounding and personalised guitar if you work with a luthier from the off. 
    I disagree.
    You have no guarantee with wood.
    Be it partscaster or luthier you don't know how it is going to pan out.
    You can go and try 100 fender cs guitars in the course of a day and find a keeper much easier
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    Fees are regularly £1 and I'd not call that exorbitant.  However I do agree that it's only actual selling prices that matter, not asking prices.
    It’s not the listing fee, it’s the 10% final selling fee that’s the kicker. If I was selling a £2k guitar I really wouldn’t want to give eBay £200.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6079
    JDE said:
    It’s not the listing fee, it’s the 10% final selling fee that’s the kicker. If I was selling a £2k guitar I really wouldn’t want to give eBay £200.
    Selling fees are regularly £1 these days. They send out offers every now and then. They have just sent me one for this weekend.
  • mortmort Frets: 719
    JDE said:
    If you sell a £2k guitar during the £1 fee promo, you will pay £1, not £200.

• BabonesBabones Frets: 1206
    I see standard recent Gibsons for equal or more than they are new, which is bizarre. Likewise I've seen people trying to sell a Klon KTR for 4-500 when the they are available new, for under 300. 
  • Done a quick sweep against Gibson reissue Les Pauls for curiosity sake...prices of live items right now are definitely a step above when you compare to sold items - where it’s the same as it has been for 4 or 5 months at least of 2.2k for an R8 and 3k for an R9 (then add or take some depending on year, features, flaws)

People can still list for what they like. As ever, if you’re buying then know your market and budget.
  • People try it on, in the hope they find someone gullible enough to pay the asking price. Leave it a few weeks and the asking prices will revert to something a bit more reasonable, when the greed is replaced by desperation to sell.