Is it just me? Ebay prices.

What's Hot

Comments

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5426
    Despite the frequent £1 FVF offers I suspect that a good number of sellers are not savvy enough to bother waiting for them sometimes... and thus overprice to compensate anyway. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3493
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paddybpaddyb Frets: 31
    Even for cheaper guitars, sometimes the asking price for second hand is not far off what it would cost new.
    The only guitar related thing I have bought on eBay in the last year or two were items that you could make an offer on and it was accepted.
  • I’ve been looking on eBay for an Echoplex delay. You can buy them cheaper brand new from Andertons, GuitarGuitar or GAK than some of the 2nd hand ones on there. Ridiculous. 
  • WonkyWonky Frets: 188
    Zoolooter said:
    I generally don’t get Custom Shop prices and particularly the demand for them. If you want a flamed neck, light body, chunky neck, hand wound pickups, etc, etc, spend £1000 on partscaster. It’s not like Fender CS are going to put a guitar together then dismantle it, swap parts around until it sounds great. You have a much better chance of owning a great sounding and personalised guitar if you work with a luthier from the off. 
    I'm with you on this. For that sort of money (often a lot less too) you can actually get a guitar that suits you perfectly and not what Gibson or Fender think that is.  The only thing is residual value is much better with a big brand, but if you're buying for keeps, it's not an issue.
    Which reminds me, I must buy a bigger house to keep my ever growing guitar collection in.  Either that or I actually have to sell something, which I never do. Lol

• DavemateDavemate Frets: 68
    Unfortunatly i havnt found the right alternative to gibson for me yet but i dont bother with the fender relics unless they are a bargain, i have found that bill nash builds great teles and am on my third as we speak, fantastic instruments that suit me down to the ground.   Love em.
  • WonkyWonky Frets: 188
    Davemate said:
    Unfortunatly i havnt found the right alternative to gibson for me yet but i dont bother with the fender relics unless they are a bargain, i have found that bill nash builds great teles and am on my third as we speak, fantastic instruments that suit me down to the ground.   Love em.
    I suppose that's the problem is finding the replacement for Gibson when you often can't try them out first from a luthier.  Honestly though in my opinion, if it's just about the playing and sound and not the residual value there are better things out there.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9722
    People try it on, in the hope they find someone gullible enough to pay the asking price. Leave it a few weeks and the asking prices will revert to something a bit more reasonable, when the greed is replaced by desperation to sell. 
    On the other hand, you also get ridiculous buyers trying to knock £100 off whatever price you put up so why not price it higher to start with and accept offers so they still get their little kick from winning and you get what you wanted for it in the first place
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2019
    People try it on, in the hope they find someone gullible enough to pay the asking price. Leave it a few weeks and the asking prices will revert to something a bit more reasonable, when the greed is replaced by desperation to sell. 
    On the other hand, you also get ridiculous buyers trying to knock £100 off whatever price you put up so why not price it higher to start with and accept offers so they still get their little kick from winning and you get what you wanted for it in the first place
    Because inflated prices drive up second hand prices in general, marketing people working for brands monitor this, they then raise their prices accordingly, everyone suffers except the retail market.

When someone like Fender brings out a new product they dont just guess how much they will be charging for it, they constantly monitor the market for both new and used products, buying trends, desirability etc. If you could buy say a Mexican Fender second hand for lets say 150 quid the price of new Mexican Fenders would drop to accommodate the market.
  • The problem is, everyone wants to think they're getting a bargain and we've probably seen it more so on here than on ebay. 
    Well prob the same with low ball offers. 

If you price something really low you get get an offer 200 quid lower.

If you add 200 quid and it's a reasonable price, you get offered 200 quid lower. 

If it's a really stupid price you don't get offers. Go figure.

British bargain mentality?
    Just list things reasonably in the first place and refuse any low ball offers, easy.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9722
    robgilmo said:
    Just list things reasonably in the first place and refuse any low ball offers, easy.
    You'd think so yeah but bizarrely my stuff on eBay has sold much quicker when I've overpriced and been knocked down
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • steveledzepsteveledzep Frets: 1175
    £1 selling fee on eBay this Sunday 7/4 and Monday 8/4.
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5025
    edited April 2019
    JezWynd said:
    JDE said:
    Fees are regularly £1 and I'd not call that exorbitant.  However I do agree that it's only actual selling prices that matter, not asking prices.
    It’s not the listing fee, it’s the 10% final selling fee that’s the kicker. If I was selling a £2k guitar I really wouldn’t want to give eBay £200.
    Selling fees are regularly £1 these days. They send out offers every now and then. They have just sent me one for this weekend.
    Yep, same here. I'll put a couple up for sale and, to be fair, it's bloody good value. Yes, there's a few tyre kickers around, but you have to kiss a few frogs to find your prince. It probably gives you the greatest exposure to the market and, for £1, it's terrific. I won't do PayPal so it really is a £1 final fee. I appreciate that that doesn't work for everyone. 

Stick the price up by 10% and offer it as 'best offer' because you know that people will try and knock the price down. In fairness, that haggling happens everywhere, including on here. 
    Call me Dave.
    robgilmo said:
    You'd think so yeah but bizarrely my stuff on eBay has sold much quicker when I've overpriced and been knocked down
    Indeed, yes - people like to think that they have got a bargain, even if they've ended up paying what the seller wanted in the first place.
    Call me Dave.
  • mortmort Frets: 719
    DB1 said:
    JezWynd said:
    JDE said:
    Fees are regularly £1 and I'd not call that exorbitant.  However I do agree that it's only actual selling prices that matter, not asking prices.
    It’s not the listing fee, it’s the 10% final selling fee that’s the kicker. If I was selling a £2k guitar I really wouldn’t want to give eBay £200.
    Selling fees are regularly £1 these days. They send out offers every now and then. They have just sent me one for this weekend.
    Yep, same here. I'll put a couple up for sale and, to be fair, it's bloody good value. Yes, there's a few tyre kickers around, but you have to kiss a few frogs to find your prince. It probably gives you the greatest exposure to the market and, for £1, it's terrific. I won't do PayPal so it really is a £1 final fee. I appreciate that that doesn't work for everyone. 

Stick the price up by 10% and offer it as 'best offer' because you know that people will try and knock the price down. In fairness, that haggling happens everywhere, including on here. 
    You say you won’t do PayPal, do you state that upfront in you listing and get away with it?
    edited April 2019
    mort said:
    DB1 said:
    JezWynd said:
    JDE said:

You say you won’t do PayPal, do you state that upfront in you listing and get away with it?
    Yes, I do. I don't want the potential hassle of PayPal, but I would only sell (or buy) face to face as I want to whoever buys from me to try it and be happy with it, so there's no need for PayPal.  I've been told (on here) that it's against eBay regulations, and I can imagine that that would be correct, but I do state it clearly in the ads, and I haven't had a problem so far. If they did stop me doing that, I wouldn't bother selling through eBay. I do appreciate that that stance might not be for everybody, but it suits me. I'll probably put a 40th Anniversary Strat and maybe a Taylor GS Mini e up for sale in the next couple of days. I'll send you the link if the wording's of interest. 

I should also mention that I say, in the ad, that if anyone does a 'buy it now' and pays with PayPal then the sales will be cancelled and the PayPal amount will be refunded immediately. It's because I want to deal with people directly, and know (as far as I can) that I'm dealing with a good person. It's stood me in good stead so far, and I've dealt with some great people, including this forum. 

I know I sound like a miserable old bastard but I do this; a) because I want a hassle-free transaction with someone that likes what they're buying. and I like to know that they're happy,  and b) because I'm a miserable old bastard. 
    Call me Dave.
  • mortmort Frets: 719
    @DB1 Interesting....

So I assume you only offer “collection in person” and no postage option?
    Also, I guess you have to be pretty careful with exchange of address/phone number until after the end of the listing to avoid getting banned.

I must admit that I avoid listings that say “no PayPal” when postage is the only option as I would want the “buyer protection” PayPal offers. It wouldn’t bother me for a collection though.
    edited April 2019
    I do offer a 'postage' option but in the form of me offering to deliver it, keeping the 'face to face' selling theme going. It attracts more interest than 'collection only' and I don't mind the driving really. That's partly why I say 'talk to me first

It's all geared towards trying before purchasing. Again, this wouldn't be for everyone but it works for me. Also eBay make it possible to include a phone number legitimately and I describe the procedure on how to get in touch in the ad itself. I'd be very happy to send you a link to a listing. 
    Call me Dave.
  • mort said:
    JDE said:
    If you sell a £2k guitar during the £1 fee promo, you will pay £1, not £200.

To get the £1 eBay selling fee, you must sell on the first listing. Be careful if you relist if it doesn't sell first time, as you could find yourself on the hook for the 10pc fee