Is the Katana Mini as bad as everyone says?

What's Hot
soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6756
And if it is, whats the cheapest 'decent' tiny little amp thingy that can go on a shelf in the living room to be used when I'm noodling in front of the telly. 

Thanks in advance. 
My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3992
    Not played the Katana mini but I’ve owned and would recommend the Blackstar Fly 3.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6911
    I tried it at the guitarshow, but it was not the venue to get a good test of it. Was impressed it had the full set of katana controls and tones, will have another look when I see one in a guitar store.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6756
    Not played the Katana mini but I’ve owned and would recommend the Blackstar Fly 3.
    Ooh looks decent cheers. 

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    I own a Blackstar Fly which is a fun little box. The Katana is quite a bit better imo, my son tried and bought one for home. 
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2333
    I bought a mini. Think its decent little amp for the size.
    Well now I don't know what to think.. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Fuengi said:
    I own a Blackstar Fly which is a fun little box. The Katana is quite a bit better imo, my son tried and bought one for home. 

He bought a Mini or a regular Katana? 

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    soma1975 said:
    Fuengi said:

He bought a Mini or a regular Katana? 
    He bought a mini. I think they are £80 new? 
    Interesting... 

• dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    I had both the Katana mini and the Fly 3, preferred the Fly 3, both have their limitations but the Katana mini really was shit 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 943
    I’ve got a mini(fnar fnar),it’s great for the cost and surprisingly loud,
    bandmate had the Fly but 
    I think the mini has  the edge
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    mrkb said:
    I tried it at the guitarshow, but it was not the venue to get a good test of it. Was impressed it had the full set of katana controls and tones, will have another look when I see one in a guitar store.
    Ah, just remembered it was the Katana Air I looked at, not the mini- ignore my comments.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1850
    My daughter has a katana mini. We a/b'd it against the fly in a shop. the mini won. Bit more expensive, but much better, we felt. In the similar price bracket I have a Laney mini Lionheart, which is great, and looks good enough "on the shelf" for my wife to not mind it being left around.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    Nice one chaps. 

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11873
    edited April 2019
    mrkb said:
    You may be thinking of the "Katana Air" mate - the mini has a much smaller range of controls.

Edit: I'm an idiot who didn't see your other post, apologies...

You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11873
    soma1975 said:
    And if it is, whats the cheapest 'decent' tiny little amp thingy that can go on a shelf in the living room to be used when I'm noodling in front of the telly. 

Thanks in advance. 
    I've got a Blackstar Fly 3.

Despite a reasonable range of controls it really has two great little tones, a sort of bluesy clean with delay, and a quite dirty sounding OD.

For it's size and cost, it makes guitar noises pretty well.  Of course it isn't in the class of even a full-size solid state amp, but it's more than a toy.

I've not played with a Katana Mini, but I suspect it's largely the same.

A lot of the negativity probably comes from the overall high regard the full-sized Katanas have, costing about £70 less than the 50w Marshall MG50 for example the Katana 50 is miles more flexible and sounds better.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • According to an ad currently in the classifieds, the Katana Mini doesn't depreciate either! Investment opportunities? ;) 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    mrkb said:
    You may be thinking of the "Katana Air" mate - the mini has a much smaller range of controls.

Edit: I'm an idiot who didn't see your other post, apologies...

No problem, I don’t listen to myself either ;)
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I know you're all excited to hear the outcome but I've gone for the Katana Mini and it should be arriving today. 

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12415
    soma1975 said:
    I know you're all excited to hear the outcome but I've gone for the Katana Mini and it should be arriving today. 
    Let us know how it is, or bring it Saturday!  I was going to say get  used THR5 as I think they are a significant step up from these but I haven't actually played the katana mini so I'm only basing it on reviews.