Clean Tones: Les Paul vs Strat

What's Hot
jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 819

Played through a clean Fender style amplifier I am always able to get nice clean sounds out of any Stratocaster type guitar (not necessarily an expensive one) - and that too, without having to tweak the controls very much.

Not so however, with a Les Paul. The clean sounds are rather uninspiring - though the instrument of course comes into its own when (even a mild degree of) overdrive is applied.

I remember an old Burny Fernandes Les Paul copy with a pair of 57 Classics sounding lovely even clean - but that might be a rather inaccurate memory...

I'd be most interested to hear about your own experiences...?

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    I always prefer single coils to humbuckers. Especially clean. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3493
    edited April 2019

He might not be everyones taste but he does know his stuff and thats some good advice right there.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • A good les paul will give great clean tones all day long. Even on the bridge pickup. You can also get great high gain rock tones out of single coils. It’s when you play the les paul into the same rig as the strat without changing anything on the amp/pedals that it gets a bit harder.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    You know Ive never watched anything by this guy let alone his music. But he does talk some sense! 

Sorry, wont hijack the thread anymore!

• gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I love cleans on a Les Paul.

I think the problem is when people expect the same clean sound that a Strat gives, then it sounds dull by comparison and they try to make it sound more like a Strat.

I just like it for what it is.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Bonamassa reminds me of that shermanator guy from American pie - like a total nerd trying to look cool with sunglasses
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3319
    hes a total nerd who is cool as fuck!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Im not a fan but he does talk sense and he's a bloody good musician, and he probably is a guitar geek, but if I wanted to watch someone based on how they look and not how they play or what they have to say id be looking at me in a mirror all day long!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Just been running my Les Paul through the tweed champ and it can do a bright and jangly enough clean - amp volume all the way up, tone dimed on neck pickup or a shade back on bridge and volume rolled way down followed by playing with a thick enough plectrum (coin gives best results, jazz III still fine) and enough attack so it just breaks up now and then. Not sterile clean, but clean enough with personality and gets some nice harmonics on top. Obviously needs reasonable quality electronics in there - if your pots don’t have a good range then it won’t work so well. 50s style wiring also helps since it means rolling the volume back drops volume more but keeps the highs better.

You won’t get the bell like tone and real snappiness of a good strat, but that’s why I own a strat as well. Play to the Les Paul’s strengths and you get a nice and full sound. Good muting to play staccato helps as well.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17630
    tFB Trader
    Les Paul always had a pretty good clean sound...
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3297
    tFB Trader
    I think the clean tones of a les paul are so underrated, some of the best I've heard are from customs 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2355
    He played a Strat though. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17630
    tFB Trader
    StefB said:
    He played a Strat though. 
    In the studio he mostly used a BC Rich Warlock with EMGs
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Th4fonzTh4fonz Frets: 246
    I really enjoy the les paul cleans buuuuuuuut, I find it one dimensional and a strat would always be my main choice.  Still nice to throw a les paul in the mix every now and then though  :)
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24809
    edited April 2019
    They are so different for me. Strats are almost acoustic-like - every playing nuance comes out of the amp. A Les Paul is more compressed and lacking in ‘snap’ - which requires a very different approach. Yes - they can be played ‘clean’ - but not in a way that is remotely similar to a Strat.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11452
    robgilmo said:
    Most things sound good through a Lazy J.

It does help having a good Les Paul with vintage output pickups and 50's wiring.
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    A good Les Paul with fairly low-wound alnico pickups sounds fantastic clean, not compressed or muddy in the slightest - fuller and more even than a Strat and not in any way worse. You don’t even need 50s wiring, although it doesn’t hurt.

You will need to set the amp a bit differently from how you would with a Strat. It is possible that with some modern amps that you won’t be able to because the *amp* is too compressed and muddy, but that’s a fault with the amp not the guitar...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein