Blackstar ID Core new amps - updated now with NAD celebrations!

What's Hot

Comments

• Ooo neat! That sounds pretty fab.

Off to youtube I go...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9891
    Youtube will help a bit (it sounds like a blackstar) but I would urge you to try one to feel the stereo effect, and the feel of the amp in general, which you cant get with youtube
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Youtube will help a bit (it sounds like a blackstar) but I would urge you to try one to feel the stereo effect, and the feel of the amp in general, which you cant get with youtube

That may help.
  • LooseMooseLooseMoose Frets: 910
    Bought one on Friday. Awesome! Better tones than the THR and cheaper too! Phenomenal. If they did a beefy, gig gable one that didn't require a PhD to operate, I'd be sold on one of those, too! Superb bit of kit.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72675
    Bought one on Friday. Awesome! Better tones than the THR and cheaper too! Phenomenal. If they did a beefy, gig gable one that didn't require a PhD to operate, I'd be sold on one of those, too! Superb bit of kit.
    They do.

ID260.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• LooseMooseLooseMoose Frets: 910
    They don't. It sounds bobbins compared to these. Don't know why mind but I just want this, louder :)
  • CeeBeeCeeBee Frets: 39
    edited May 2014
    Had one of these on back order with PMT since they were announced at NAMM. Received it last week and it's really good. I got the 20 watt as the 10 didn't have a foot switch option. (Apparently a new foot switch will be coming out - FS11? Cheaper than the current FS10) Sounds great and much more punchy than thought it would be, there's plenty of low end and it doesn't sound boxy at all, sounds 'big'. I've been online using the insider software and downloaded some patches, some good some bad but that's what you usually get from these online community things. The insider software gives you access to the 6 different valve settings like the bigger ID series. I've got it hooked up to my mixer, backing tracks sound good through it as it's full range, and pedals are good too. Have a Joyo British (Tech21 clone) going into the line in which sounds really good. No brainer for 120 quid I think.
  • Bluesboy82Bluesboy82 Frets: 11
    Some great info here.

I'm torn between the ID:Core 20 and the Yamaha THR10C.

I have been viewing various youtube clips and reading multiple forum posts with plenty of pros and cons for each amp. The features for both seem very similar but I just carnt get my head around the difference in price? What more are you getting from the THR10 that justifies the extra £145 over the ID:Core?
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9891
    Ive tried both, the THR sounded more like...how an ipod dock sounds compared to a hifi, to me anyway. The ID sounds like an amp, or at least like an amp within a mix, if you know what I mean
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    edited May 2014
    LooseMoose said:

They don't. It sounds bobbins compared to these. Don't know why mind but I just want this, louder :)
    Interesting...!

Maybe what you need is a stereo keyboard or acoustic amp to run it through - also with full-range speakers.

Marshall AS100D?

Or a couple of powered monitors?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• CeeBeeCeeBee Frets: 39
    Some great info here.

I'm torn between the ID:Core 20 and the Yamaha THR10C.

I have been viewing various youtube clips and reading multiple forum posts with plenty of pros and cons for each amp. The features for both seem very similar but I just carnt get my head around the difference in price? What more are you getting from the THR10 that justifies the extra £145 over the ID:Core?

Portable, runs on batteries if required. Looks less like an amp and less likely to bother other halfs living room aesthetics. I've tried a THRX and they are very good, but I think the Blackstar will be a big seller if they market it right. A lot of people in the past have craved a louder THR, the Blackstar could be it.
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4159
    Ooops

So I popped along to Absolute Music this morning to try out an ID:Core 20. Didn't fancy the 10 as it didn't have a footswitch input, didn't want the 40 as that's getting into small amp territory and I don't really need something that big. Anyway ten minutes later I was walking out the door with one.

The stereo effect really is quite something. I assume there's some clever post-processing to create a virtual wide stereo field. Whatever it is, it works really well and envelopes you in a massive sound. I tried the aux-input with my MP3 player - sounded pretty good and also gave a much wider stereo field than you'd expect from a little box like this. I'm going to try this input later with my Zoom G3.

Pre-amp sounds are good, it's a simple easy to use device. Effects are easy to program and sound pleasing. There's a bit of hiss on the amp, but nothing you hear while playing. 

If you connect the amp to a computer via USB it's possible to program and store patches. The Insider software gives you more parameters than the physical knobs on the amp - so here it's possible to control bass middle and treble separately. The TVP power amp simulation is greyed out when connection to the ID Core - however there is a way of fiddling it. Creating or editing patches without the amp connected to the computer allows you to set the power amp type. However I experimented with this and couldn't tell the difference between the patches once on the amp itself - I think the ID Core doesn't use the setting. Even so - the ability to control the effects in more detail, and a full EQ in the software is very cool. 

So far so good. 

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17681
    tFB Trader
    Blackstar claim that the TVP stuff actually changes the way the SS power section interacts with the speaker so I guess it's not going to be included on the Core range.
    Yup that makes sense then given the ID Core use full range speakers.

edited May 2014
    Having seen inside an ID60 I would be surprised. I don't think there was any signal feedback from the power amp to the preamp, which would be necessary for that since the TVP is in the preamp. I could be wrong though...

Tried the headphone output last night. Sounds excellent. So many practice devices fail on the headphone sound - but this definitely has a big open sound that isn't harsh on the ears.

The only thing I haven't tried yet is using it to record with my PC. I've got other gear I'd use for that - VST amp sims - but I'll give it a go later for the sake of completeness. 

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17681
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    Having seen inside an ID60 I would be surprised. I don't think there was any signal feedback from the power amp to the preamp, which would be necessary for that since the TVP is in the preamp. I could be wrong though...
    IIRC Blackstar claimed that they change the damping characteristics etc to make the power amp react to the speakers in the same way as a valve amp. It might all be total balls of course.
    IIRC Blackstar claimed that they change the damping characteristics etc to make the power amp react to the speakers in the same way as a valve amp.
    Actually having found the pics I took, there is a 5-core ribbon cable connecting the power amp to the preamp - which doesn't include the power supply connection - so it is possible.

The TVP setting does make a huge difference, that much is true.

• imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    Has anyone had a chance to compare one with a Fender Mustang?
    Would also be interested to know if it can be got to work with Linux.