Heading for an Offset....help me!

What's Hot
JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 395
Looking at the Fender USA Jazzmasters.
Happy to go Japanese but U shape neck?
Anyone encourage me fir a particular model?
Prefer Rythm circuit slide switch etc ... old school.
Ta Jon

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    edited April 2019
    The modern Fender USA "Professional" JMs are not "real" ones if you want to go old school. They don't have the right pickups or the other circuit. Aim for a AVRI or "American Original"?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 659
    Go AVRI, if you go Japanese you won't get the full experience mainly due to the pickups.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5426
    +1 for secondhand AVRI or American Original (new or used, depending on what you find...)
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3968
    The American Originals look great. I’d also look at the MIM 60th Anniversary models, TVL, Lacquer and Road Worns too.
    BTW, you do have a beard and a plaid shirt, right?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 659
    The American Originals look great. I’d also look at the MIM 60th Anniversary models, TVL, Lacquer and Road Worns too.
    But do they have the proper pickups or just Strat pickups in disguise?

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    Don’t dismiss the Mexican Lacquer series, excellent guitars
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2019
    JD50 said:

I think they're the renamed AVRIs. Edit - the American Originals, I mean. Don't know about the MIMs
  • JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 395
    No beard or plaid shirt...!!!

JonHosker said:
    No beard or plaid shirt...!!!

Forget it, then ;-)
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    JonHosker said:

Prefer Rythm circuit slide switch etc ... old school.

I don't know anyone who actually uses that circuit [cue everyone coming out of the woodwork now to say how great it is...]
    You can buy a little bracket from ebay for a couple of quid which really tidily fits on its underside and prevents it from sliding.  That way you get the look of the switch, which is nice, without the major inconvenience of unknowingly flicking it on in a gig and wondering where all your sound has gone and thinking your guitar has died.  This is because you rolled the rhythm pots to zero months ago and forgot all about them... or even that they do anything. 
    Or was that just me?
    Grunfeld said:
    I don't know anyone who actually uses that circuit [cue everyone coming out of the woodwork now to say how great it is...]

I've just crawled out the woodwork to say how great it is.

(Sorry, couldn't resist)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 777
    JD50 said:

All of those contain some form of "real" jazzmaster pickups. They are all good and no absolute need for swapping. I do have a set of mojo's in my parts jazzmaster, and they are a really nice upgrade for relatively little outlay.

Best bang for buck I would say is the lacquer Jazzmaster without a doubt.  I have an American Original Jaguar which is just about the best I've had, and I've read good thinks about the Jazzmaster.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    I really don't like the avri 62 model. I found it to be generally worst model I've played.

I like the Japanese models after a pickup change (in fact I would never keep the stock fender pickups on any of the modern offerings as they aren't in the same league as mojo pickups).
    The custom shop stuff is great.
    The lacquer Mims are good too. 
    The VM is ok but generally need attention past the 12th fret.
    Even the classic player is alright with it's shifted vibrato system and funny bridge.
    I've not tried a new pro one. They look alright though

Oh and don't forget the mascis, it's kind of the most player/wallet friendly
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4671
    I have a Mascis and it’s a tremendous guitar, I have no point of reference as it’s the only JM I have ever owned but it’s a great guitar so don’t feel the need to upgrade it 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • adampeteradampeter Frets: 775
    sweepy said:
    Don’t dismiss the Mexican Lacquer series, excellent guitars
    this.....fantastic guitar
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Thinking of letting this beauty go soon....American Pro Neck (ebony board) and pickups/electronics, Warmoth Body, Schaller locking heads, Mastery trem. It’s a stunner. Whatever you go for, don’t get too wrapped up in vintage spec rabbit hole is my take. Advice from offset lovers can be more conservative than Les Paul fans!

https://i.imgur.com/aZ2AcKc.jpg

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    dindude said:
    Thinking of letting this beauty go soon....American Pro Neck (ebony board) and pickups/electronics, Warmoth Body, Schaller locking heads, Mastery trem. It’s a stunner. Whatever you go for, don’t get too wrapped up in vintage spec rabbit hole is my take. Advice from offset lovers can be more conservative than Les Paul fans!

https://i.imgur.com/aZ2AcKc.jpg

That's beautiful!
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • I have a Mascis and it’s a tremendous guitar, I have no point of reference as it’s the only JM I have ever owned but it’s a great guitar so don’t feel the need to upgrade it 
    I've got a Squier Deluxe (it's essentially a Mascis, but in red rather than white). 
    Lovely guitar, for £325 it's exceptional. 
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020