The man himself on the Silver Sky

What's Hot
AlterlifesonAlterlifeson Frets: 477
edited April 2019 in Guitar
Just caught this new video of JM talking about the PRS SS and its inspiration behind it. He goes slightly more in depth than other videos/interviews I've seen. An interesting watch! Interesting to note how it was a 'grower' on him as well, particularly the looks. Can't deny it sounds bloody great though!

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    I've yet to play one, but I look forward to the day I do! I have high hopes

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KylefKylef Frets: 1042
    Think he talks really well, and obviously he can play. Really like his newer stuff too. Those Silver Sky's are beginning to grow on me, and fancy a silver one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1562
    Having played one, they sound nice but I’d not have one over a CS Fender
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2041
    Trying to think of something positive to say, I'm sure what he says about the quality of the instrument is correct - the pickups, controls, general build quality will no doubt be superb.  And it sounds fine for blues licks which is all he plays in the video.  I would prefer a body-colour headstock.

A lot of the rest is utter waffle though.  "The ability to take six straight lines and make them sound like curves and arcs and figure eights - that takes a lot of magic..."  Give it a rest, mate.

"I've been working on this new lick for 5 years..." [cue exact same blues noodling that he always does]. 

Something about the "guitar circle of joy".  Ugh.  Bad images.

Personally I find celeb endorsees mighty cheesy and offputting, although I understand that's not the case for everyone.  This is a PRS Strat, so if you like PRSs and Strats, this is your instrument.  But it's so endowed with Mayerness that there's simply no room for the player's personality.  The more he goes on about his involvement and that it's his perfect guitar, the less appealing it becomes for me personally, and surely for anyone who wants to take an instrument and make it their own.  It's a four-figure fan T-shirt.

"I wanted to move the guitar away from the classic time period and move it into the modern period of Apple and Tesla."  So you made a copy of a '50s Fender with a handful of tweaks and a weird headstock?  Wow, that's never been done before [sarc].  Perhaps he should have a look at Millimetric to see how bringing the guitar into the 21st century is actually done.

I suspect for a man used to be being very successful, the initial lukewarm response and headstock ridicule he took very personally.  Hence he's still plugging the thing a year after release, particularly now the novelty has worn off and he can get a word in edgeways.  In the Guitar magazine NAMM article he actually says that he's got more patience for promoting the thing than its detractors have of criticising it.  Which is a fair point, the design's in for the long haul.  

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Funny thing is, I'm a massive fan of his.  Huge fanboy.  But for that reason, I doubt I'd buy one.  I agree @Modellista it would feel a bit like buying a tshirt of his.

If it was just a PRS guitar, that he was using, I'd be far more likely to buy.

However, by the time I'm able to afford one, perhaps they'll be more accepted by other players

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27066
    Am I the only one who likes him and also thinks the Silver Sky's headstock is pretty much perfect for the guitar? Certainly better than the generic, apologetic bore-fest from the likes of Suhr & co
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Am I the only one who likes him and also thinks the Silver Sky's headstock is pretty much perfect for the guitar? Certainly better than the generic, apologetic bore-fest from the likes of Suhr & co
    I can't say I love it, but its much better than some of the designs that are 6 aside but try to keep it a bit Fendery. (Except Suhr, I don't mind that one). It still has definite PRS DNA which is why I think it sort or works. If this was the first time seeing the shape, I think the majority of us would find it horrible.
  • PonchoGregPonchoGreg Frets: 764
    Yeah not sure why the internet lost its collective s**t on that headstock thing. I think the whole guitar works pretty well design-wise. In fact, having enough subtle differentiators bothers me less than little things on a "proper" strat, like a two-point trem or modern tuners :)

Apart from that - I love Mayer's playing (even the newer stuff, vs the Continuum golden age), but I can't say I've been bowled over by his PRS move, both in terms of guitars and amps. To me he sounded a fair bit better on strats and two-rocks. Not sure how much of that is down to the guitars vs the amps, signal chain, etc. And I imagine vids on Youtube are not the best way to gauge his new live tone. So caveat emptor and all that
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921
    I think it's an abomination to man. I do kinda like JM though, but that guitar. Man. Nasty.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    I've seen worse Partscasters.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Don’t mind it, but as a PRS does Strat I think it’s less resolved than an PRS EG from 25 years ago. Also, for such a great player (and I do love Johns playing) into a £6k amp, does anyone else think it sounds a bit shit in that vid - just sounds stiff and sterile.
  • im sure its a nice guitar and it plays nice but it just sounds like a slightly duller strat to me, 
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3752
    edited April 2019
    I love PRS but I tried a Silver Sky and thought it was half the guitar of a DC3, which is a much older version of a PRS Strat. It might have just been awfully setup (odd for a new PRS) but the Silver Sky felt cheap, especially next to the DC3. Odd.
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    It's grown on me. The birds look a bit weird, id rather have moons. I would like to try one out, just out of curiosity. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16102
    The Brent Mason is a better all round guitar that does almost identical sounds and a whole lot more
    If you think the headstock is bad try a Tyler !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2383
    It sounds NOTHING like a great old Strat. It sounds like a modern single coil guitar and that suits JM's music perfectly. 
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1648
    I think it’s just a guitar. Some people will like it. Some won’t. I’m sure the internet really needs another SS bashing thread :-/ Genuinely can’t understand why people feel the need to moan about it so much.

The fact that so many people seem horrifyingly offended by them makes me actually want one. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2041
    Dan_Halen said:
    I think it’s just a guitar. Some people will like it. Some won’t. I’m sure the internet really needs another SS bashing thread :-/ Genuinely can’t understand why people feel the need to moan about it so much.

The fact that so many people seem horrifyingly offended by them makes me actually want one. 
    ^ weird. I thought this was a fairly well-considered thread. Who’s been horrifyingly offended by it?  Seems like there’s a balance of ayes and nays, as one would expect. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1648
    edited April 2019

A lot of the rest is utter waffle though.  "The ability to take six straight lines and make them sound like curves and arcs and figure eights - that takes a lot of magic..."  Give it a rest, mate.

"I've been working on this new lick for 5 years..." [cue exact same blues noodling that he always does]. 

Something about the "guitar circle of joy".  Ugh.  Bad images.

Personally I find celeb endorsees mighty cheesy and offputting, although I understand that's not the case for everyone.  This is a PRS Strat, so if you like PRSs and Strats, this is your instrument.  But it's so endowed with Mayerness that there's simply no room for the player's personality.  The more he goes on about his involvement and that it's his perfect guitar, the less appealing it becomes for me personally, and surely for anyone who wants to take an instrument and make it their own.  It's a four-figure fan T-shirt.

"I wanted to move the guitar away from the classic time period and move it into the modern period of Apple and Tesla."  So you made a copy of a '50s Fender with a handful of tweaks and a weird headstock?  Wow, that's never been done before [sarc].  Perhaps he should have a look at Millimetric to see how bringing the guitar into the 21st century is actually done.

I suspect for a man used to be being very successful, the initial lukewarm response and headstock ridicule he took very personally.

Lol. Who’s horrifyingly offended by it? Clearly you to start with.

• prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3990
    QUICK SOMEONE IS EXPRESSING AN OPINION, I MUST IMMEDIATELY MAKE THEM OUT TO BE HYSTERICAL

Right everyone, back to quietly appreciating our beige living pods and daily supply of flavourless nutrient slurry.