The man himself on the Silver Sky

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1648
    prlgmnr said:
    QUICK SOMEONE IS EXPRESSING AN OPINION, I MUST IMMEDIATELY MAKE THEM OUT TO BE HYSTERICAL
    Who made anyone out to be hysterical? No one. Thanks for chipping in though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2041
    Dan_Halen said:

A lot of the rest is utter waffle though.  "The ability to take six straight lines and make them sound like curves and arcs and figure eights - that takes a lot of magic..."  Give it a rest, mate.

"I've been working on this new lick for 5 years..." [cue exact same blues noodling that he always does]. 

Something about the "guitar circle of joy".  Ugh.  Bad images.

Personally I find celeb endorsees mighty cheesy and offputting, although I understand that's not the case for everyone.  This is a PRS Strat, so if you like PRSs and Strats, this is your instrument.  But it's so endowed with Mayerness that there's simply no room for the player's personality.  The more he goes on about his involvement and that it's his perfect guitar, the less appealing it becomes for me personally, and surely for anyone who wants to take an instrument and make it their own.  It's a four-figure fan T-shirt.

"I wanted to move the guitar away from the classic time period and move it into the modern period of Apple and Tesla."  So you made a copy of a '50s Fender with a handful of tweaks and a weird headstock?  Wow, that's never been done before [sarc].  Perhaps he should have a look at Millimetric to see how bringing the guitar into the 21st century is actually done.

I suspect for a man used to be being very successful, the initial lukewarm response and headstock ridicule he took very personally.

Lol. Who’s horrifyingly offended by it? Clearly you to start with.

Reading comprehension fail. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Sorry, are you a fan of it then?
    edited April 2019
    @Dan_Halen - as you’re clearly hard of thinking let me do it for you. I actually said I’m sure the guitar is nice (which you edited out), and then proceeded to poke some fun at the daft things that Mayer himself came out with. Not the guitar. The man.

Maybe switch brain on before derailing a thread next time.  Do you have anything constructive to add? If not, please leave us to it. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    I'm clearly hard of thinking? Charming.

If you feel the need to be rude because someone disagrees with you then maybe you should leave it?
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Why do most threads, especially PRS ones, become so abusive?

Haven't you all got jobs to be getting on with or something?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    Dan_Halen said:
    I'm clearly hard of thinking? Charming.

If you feel the need to be rude because someone disagrees with you then maybe you should leave it?
    Disagreement is fine and to be encouraged.  What you've done is fail to understand what it is that I was saying, and then accuse me personally on the basis of that misunderstanding.  Either deliberate trolling or basic comprehension fail.  Either way, not good.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I like it!

He does describe this as 'informed bullshitting' but I agree with nearly everything he said.

Sounds like some of y'all got out of the wrong side of the bed today. 
    edited April 2019
    If you prefer to think I'm unable to read and comprehend your post (which I merely linked to as an example) then that's fine with me.

Anyway....

FWIW, I thought the video was exactly what would be expected and quite enjoyed it. He explained what they were trying to achieve with the guitar e.g. consistent build, more usability in different pick-up positions, why they went with the headstock etc.

Sure, there was a bit off waffle about curves and lines but surely that's to be expected when asking a musician to describe a builder realising their vision (or whatever)? Apart from a couple of bits it was fairly reasonable and frank IMO.

Whether they achieved what they set out to do or not is obviously what's open to interpretation.

Not a massive fan of the guy or PRS but think they've made a pretty good guitar. Not everyone's cup of tea but a worthwhile addition to the modern Strat market. If Tyler, Suhr, Tom Anderson, Vigier etc can make a modern Strat-style guitar then PRS are fully entitled to their take and let the market dictate if it's a success or not.
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7181
    Like the guy, like the guitar. He rambles on without being constrained by the usual endorsee scripted stuff and I think it's more interesting because of it.
  • chromatunachromatuna Frets: 371
    As per the above para ^

Don't think I'll ever be looking for another Strat type guitar but if I was I would be happy to try one

..and of course Fender have been tweaking Strats for years anyway

As for looks, sound, JM etc. it's personal taste rather than crap vs not crap isn't it?
    This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    I think Mayer is great and I love PRS - I don't get on with strats or Les Pauls for that matter. I shall enjoy watching the video later mainly because Mayer is always worth watching :)
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3319
    He sounds like a dentist enthusing about teeth.  cant believe someone hasnt said that yet.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Like the guy, like the guitar. He rambles on without being constrained by the usual endorsee scripted stuff and I think it's more interesting because of it.
    True, remember the Boss amps video with Danish Pete and Chris Buck.  What a load a scripted shite that was, and I think they are both great normally.

Give me someone's bullshitty ramblings any day of the week
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24808
    edited April 2019
    I’ve mentioned this in the past - but as it’s another Silver Sky thread - I’ll repeat it. I saw one being played through a hand-wired CS Fender amp at the Haydock Guitar Show last year and it sounded outstanding - much better than in the clip - really fat/warm. 

I agree with @Modellista that the JM connection is somewhat off-putting - though this is largely the case with ‘any’ signature guitars for a lot of people, I’d imagine.

I need to make the effort to play one. I have no doubt it’ll be a very well-sorted guitar.
  • FrizerFrizer Frets: 45
    edited April 2019
    He’s not a bad salesman is he. Covers the controversial points to reassure anyone who is on the fence and then plays some tasty licks.

/edit I still hate it though lol. Well not hate, I just don’t see the point of it.
  • StavrosStavros Frets: 336
    I like the look of it and wouldn’t mind being able to try one/ afford one.

Interesting line about wanting to modernise the Stat for years.
    I love my brick
  • PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 943
    £2 grand plus and I’m sure he could make a £200 squier sound just as good through the same amp. Didn’t like that bridge tone at all .