Low price les Paul's and SG's

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27186
    What budget? 

I got a broken & repaired SG Standard for 400 quid and it's one of the best guitars I've ever had.
    Sounds good. Have you got some photos 
    Sorry - I meant you should look for one (i'm not selling mine!). I just suggested it as a good route into a great guitar on a budget :)

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    Any shops handy to you with a big selection of stuff? The Vintage brand seems widespread but I've not actually tried it. 

What do you want from a backup though? Same sound as main guitar? Anything different is more of a second guitar than a backup to the first (a mistake I made).
  • Good point I guess it's more a second. Main is a strat. So was thinking a humbucker would  Be good for recording 

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    An SG will lack sustain. Particularly with P90s. Despite being easy to play and sounding great.

I think you should go more Les Paul route. There are loads of models so you will get something to suit your pocket. A minefield if buying used though.
  • OK good advice I think a les Paul type is what I will go for 

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    I bought a Bernie Marsden SE earlier in the year & made a thread basically going crazy about how much guitar you can get for the money nowadays. Someone is selling an identical one in the classifieds.

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/2210012/#Comment_2210012

If it's in budget, and you're in range to try it out, I wholeheartedly recommend doing so. VERY comfy neck, great sound, rolls off amazingly well, looks great. As someone who also prefers single-coils typically (teles, not strats), this is like the perfect compliment to that.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27186
    An SG will lack sustain. Particularly with P90s. Despite being easy to play and sounding great.

I think you should go more Les Paul route. There are loads of models so you will get something to suit your pocket. A minefield if buying used though.
    Nonsense. They have a different sound, absolutely, but they don't "lack" sustain. SGs get a lot of flack simply because they're not Les Pauls, but I honestly prefer them,
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18954

Nonsense. They have a different sound, absolutely, but they don't "lack" sustain. SGs get a lot of flack simply because they're not Les Pauls, but I honestly prefer them,
    Maybe not expressing a preference, but definitely  :+1: 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2911
    +1 on the Bernie, great guitars. I have an SG and preferred the 2 Bernies I played for sure. So resonant and lively and I may have just imagined it but the neck felt better than the usual PRS wide fat.
  • HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 473
    Taking things to extremes, A few years ago I bought a rather badly treated Gould Les Paul copy at a car boot sale for the princely sum of £7.50! Although I own five real Gibson Les Pauls I really like the old Gould. I’ve fitted a Vanson set of locking tuners to it as the originals were terrible and over time it’s had many different pickups fitted, at the moment it has a set of GFS Nashvilles. I love this old guitar it’s always laying around the house ready to be picked up.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom