Albums ruined by the cover?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
I've always been very influence by graphics in general, and certainly album covers. I have bought albums blind as I loved the cover, and I have avoided one album in particular as I HATE the cover.

One terrible album cover for me is Queen's Jazz album, and what were they thinking calling it Jazz?! The cover is like some sort of graphic black hole to me, sucking so much life out of the album. I think that it has some great songs on it, but for me they are tainted by the poor artwork choice. It has been described before as unusually nondescript cover art

Another one that I hate is Yes, 90125. Garbage! Apparently it was the first computer generated album cover. 

Any covers that spoil the album for you?
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9720
    Anything with Eric Clapton on the front is an instant no no
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Iron Maiden Dance of Death
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    Smell the Glove.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24807
    Blind Faith
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22900
    Image result for Pantera Metal Magic
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72378
    Not sure I'd go as far as thinking it spoils the album, but Who's Next is pretty tasteless.

I like both Jazz and 90125 though. 90125 in particular is great because it illustrates the power of computer graphics in 1983 :).

Blind Faith
    I reversed the CD case insert of my copy so it shows the US cover on the outside.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Iron Maiden Dance of Death
    I'd give you a million Wisdoms for that if I could.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    Iron Maiden Dance of Death
    I'd give you a million Wisdoms for that if I could.
    Whats frustrating about that one is it could have been good, or at least decent (it was originally just the eddie figure and some monks behind him), if someone hadnt decided to add some shitty placeholder elements (the stupid figures with masks etc), and then just decided to release it as it was. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099

7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    ICBM said:
    Not sure I'd go as far as thinking it spoils the album, but Who's Next is pretty tasteless.

I like both Jazz and 90125 though. 90125 in particular is great because it illustrates the power of computer graphics in 1983 :).

Blind Faith
    I reversed the CD case insert of my copy so it shows the US cover on the outside.
    Great album. Embarrassing cover. See also Roger Waters Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72378
    Samgb said:

See also Roger Waters Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking. 
    At least the model was an adult... and it does have a little to do with the album concept. But it’s not amazingly tasteful.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    I had to sell "Friends" a great album by Chick Corea with Steve Gadd on it because of the cover.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16102
    As a kid I bought Tales from Topographic Oceans by Yes because the double Album Cover was captivating........the music less so ..........hours of noodling over E
    I bought Eltons Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy for the same reasons but  the content was Elton and Taupin at their very best .
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6124
    edited April 2019
    Frampton, I'm In You.

Picture to follow as tabltt is playing up (sihg)
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • HHwarnerHHwarner Frets: 137
    Anything by Manowar
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Anything with Eric Clapton on the front is an instant no no
    For me it's always his music that spoils his albums  =)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2638
    The counter to Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking would be Going For the One by Yes, featuring a naked bloke and his arse staring at tall buildings. My love for widdly widdly progressive rock and my late-70s teen homophobia had terrible clashes about that one. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    The counter to Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking would be Going For the One by Yes, featuring a naked bloke and his arse staring at tall buildings. My love for widdly widdly progressive rock and my late-70s teen homophobia had terrible clashes about that one. 
    As a Roger Dean fan I should hate that one, but I rather like it. I'd have preferred a woman's arse mind you.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    This is the one I will never buy, although I've been a big Yes fan over the years.

Ugggh, it's revolting ....

• BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3319
    axisus said:
    I've always been very influence by graphics in general, and certainly album covers. I have bought albums blind as I loved the cover, and I have avoided one album in particular as I HATE the cover.

One terrible album cover for me is Queen's Jazz album, and what were they thinking calling it Jazz?! The cover is like some sort of graphic black hole to me, sucking so much life out of the album. I think that it has some great songs on it, but for me they are tainted by the poor artwork choice. It has been described before as unusually nondescript cover art

Another one that I hate is Yes, 90125. Garbage! Apparently it was the first computer generated album cover. 

Any covers that spoil the album for you?
    Jazz did have a cracking free poster tho.   Bike seat frenzy