When a guitar tech ‘relics’ your guitar…

What's Hot

Comments

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    axisus said:
    I never trust 'local' guitar techs. Had mickey mouse jobs years ago, not going that route again. If I need a guitar tech I take a long trek to Feline. They do an amazing job on anything.
    Doesn't everyone have to be 'local' to someone at some point?  *headscratch*
    Some lucky folks have us as their local tech :)

Rabs said:

And to fret level, THREE WEEKS.. Damn..  

That should be done in an afternoon.. If someone was in a real rush I would do it while they waited..

it's nice if you can do it that quickly, but sadly can't always do that if you have a lot of work already in and have existing promises/commitments to those customers. We do try to turn things around ASAP though

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2609
    tFB Trader

Rabs said:

And to fret level, THREE WEEKS.. Damn..  

That should be done in an afternoon.. If someone was in a real rush I would do it while they waited..

it's nice if you can do it that quickly, but sadly can't always do that if you have a lot of work already in and have existing promises/commitments to those customers. We do try to turn things around ASAP though
    Yes of course its not always possible. But that was a theoretical situation..  If someone needed a favour as they had a gig or something and it was an "emergency" fret level or setup or whatever :) (I know not that likely)...  But three weeks...
  • jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2467
    I had a similar experience with a certain repair guy in Ash Vale... in front of my eyes! It was my ‘72 goldtop and he tossed it around and dinged the top before seriously scratching the fretboard doing a quick level (I was picking it up from a set up and it played worse than when I took it there). Never will go to him again.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72372
    Kittyfrisk said:

Like this I presume... 
    Is that Yngwie's house?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3968
    I’d want compensating for a new guitar, he’s ruined the finish and potential resale value.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 831
    This is probably naive but as a professional should he not have insurance that you can claim on?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18782
    ICBM said:
    Kittyfrisk said:

Like this I presume... 
    Is that Yngwie's house?
    Nah, it's a reliquary  ;)
    Or maybe a bonfire of the vanities?
  • Id get it repaired somewhere else, and make him pay the bill.
  • Th4fonzTh4fonz Frets: 245
    Thats shocking I would shame him.  And save anyone else the misfortune of getting there instruments destroyed by his poor work o  Hes not in the south east is he?
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    Some of us “local”techs pride ourselves on our quality and cost of our work, when you no longer have to advertise and it’s word of mouth then you know you are doing something right
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    axisus said:
    I never trust 'local' guitar techs. Had mickey mouse jobs years ago, not going that route again. If I need a guitar tech I take a long trek to Feline. They do an amazing job on anything.
    Doesn't everyone have to be 'local' to someone at some point?  *headscratch*
    Yes, totally the wrong word! I don't think that there is a right word. I wish Feline were local, I have to take a half day's leave to get down there!
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7143
    I read the thread title and was expecting this...

Fair play, it isn't that far off that though!

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• ColsCols Frets: 7011
    stonevibe said:
    I read the thread title and was expecting this...

Fair play, it isn't that far off that though!
    Jesus.  That’s like the guitar equivalent of an Eli Roth film.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16102
    If that happened to my friends Vinny or Angelo his name would be going in the "Persuasion Book " !
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    nonesuch said:
    He's got a load of guitars stacked up that he's working on, so he must be doing something right!

I'm not sure how helpful it would be to 'name and shame' him. It's not really something I'm comfortable with, even though I'm fully aware of how shoddy the work was.
    Like this I presume... 

That's just an average day for @HarrySeven ;
    That's just an average day for @HarrySeven ;
    Nah, too many acoustics   ;)
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8031
    That's just an average day for @HarrySeven ;

Nah, too many acoustics   ;)

True...acoustics are banned in the H7 stash.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• That is pretty shocking, I'd be really pissed off if that was my guitar. And I think I'd be naming and shaming too, tbh
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• nonesuchnonesuch Frets: 308
    Really at this stage, I think I'd be happy if I could get the clear coat repair to be flatter and smoother.

I've given up with the idea of an 'invisible' repair. The tech has offered to get the whole body resprayed with clear coat, but I'm not keen to go down that route for obvious reasons. That seems to be way over the top, for what started off as a very small area of damage.