When a guitar tech ‘relics’ your guitar…

What's Hot
12346»

Comments

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3463
    skunkwerx said:
    robgilmo said:
    skunkwerx said:
    Hold up... so the tech fucked your guitar up and STILL charged you for the labour of it?! 

The following story has a comical element but its all true. 

I had a ford focus once and had the wheels powder coated black. 
    I didnt fancy using chemical or dedicated wheel cleaner on them because they're either acidic or alkaline or just unnecessarily strong and I feared they would ruin the powder coating. 

So about a month after I had them done I was late for a funeral and the car looked like ass.. It was a fast n furious kind of funeral and the cars would be right next to the grave... so I felt like I should at least clean it... 

So on the way I pulled into a hand car wash. No word of a lie, the place was called 'CHAV hand car wash'.. in Chadwell Heath. 

I immediately regretted my decision but specifically said to the bloke 'DO NOT spray wheel cleaner on my wheels' just spray the car down with water and shampoo it and dry it.  

What did he do? 

Sprayed fucking acid all over the wheels and left me 5 minutes sat in the baking sun while he dried the car in front off. 

Anyway I left, got to the funeral and the wheels were no longer black. They were hazed, like a milky kind of effect over the top of them that buffed out with hard rubbing, but as soon as water or anything moist touched them (ie when you next washed them), the haze would just reappear. 

So the next day I went back to Chav hand fucking car wash and asked to see the manager... the guy I'd asked clearly didnt speak English much, and he said hilariously 'you want job?' . 

I said I do not want a job, I want the 'boss'. He understood that and got the manager. 

The manager came over, couldnt mistake him, he was an actual chav. About early 20's, Dressed like one, spoke like one etc. 

He kicked off 'fucking this, fucking that, you're fucking paying for this' at the bloke who'd cleaned the car the day before. 

I almost laughed. The poor bloke's a hand car washer, I doubt he's gonna have several hundred quid ready to spray my wheels. 

So I asked about their insurance etc, while the bloke who did the damage frantically tried buffing the damage out.. without any success.. by this point the paint/powder coating was ruined. 

The manager promised he would have the wheels fixed and would contact me as soon as possible to arrange it. 

A week went by. Nothing. I drove past, they were still operational so I wrote to them recorder delivs, demanding it be sorted, copied in the consumer rights peoples etc. 

Another week went by, nothing. The letter had been signed for though. 

So I drove back. The place was a ghost town. Fuckers had shut up shop and disappeared. 

In fairness mate, no one powder coats aluminium. And powder coat cant really be buffed.
    Whats up with every re-spray shop powder coating alloy wheels then. 

I wouldn't, and they probably put a clear coat over the top that can be polished. My last job we had the largest powder coating facility in Europe, the lads in the paint shop wouldn't PC aluminium because of the implications in doing so. If you look at factory wheels they are painted with a base, colour and clear coat system, not powder coated.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    robgilmo said:
    skunkwerx said:
    robgilmo said:
    skunkwerx said:
    Hold up... so the tech fucked your guitar up and STILL charged you for the labour of it?! 

I didnt fancy using chemical or dedicated wheel cleaner on them because they're either acidic or alkaline or just unnecessarily strong and I feared they would ruin the powder coating. 

So about a month after I had them done I was late for a funeral and the car looked like ass.. It was a fast n furious kind of funeral and the cars would be right next to the grave... so I felt like I should at least clean it... 

So on the way I pulled into a hand car wash. No word of a lie, the place was called 'CHAV hand car wash'.. in Chadwell Heath. 

I immediately regretted my decision but specifically said to the bloke 'DO NOT spray wheel cleaner on my wheels' just spray the car down with water and shampoo it and dry it.  

What did he do? 

Sprayed fucking acid all over the wheels and left me 5 minutes sat in the baking sun while he dried the car in front off. 

Anyway I left, got to the funeral and the wheels were no longer black. They were hazed, like a milky kind of effect over the top of them that buffed out with hard rubbing, but as soon as water or anything moist touched them (ie when you next washed them), the haze would just reappear. 

So the next day I went back to Chav hand fucking car wash and asked to see the manager... the guy I'd asked clearly didnt speak English much, and he said hilariously 'you want job?' . 

I said I do not want a job, I want the 'boss'. He understood that and got the manager. 

The manager came over, couldnt mistake him, he was an actual chav. About early 20's, Dressed like one, spoke like one etc. 

He kicked off 'fucking this, fucking that, you're fucking paying for this' at the bloke who'd cleaned the car the day before. 

I almost laughed. The poor bloke's a hand car washer, I doubt he's gonna have several hundred quid ready to spray my wheels. 

So I asked about their insurance etc, while the bloke who did the damage frantically tried buffing the damage out.. without any success.. by this point the paint/powder coating was ruined. 

The manager promised he would have the wheels fixed and would contact me as soon as possible to arrange it. 

A week went by. Nothing. I drove past, they were still operational so I wrote to them recorder delivs, demanding it be sorted, copied in the consumer rights peoples etc. 

So I drove back. The place was a ghost town. Fuckers had shut up shop and disappeared. 

In fairness mate, no one powder coats aluminium. And powder coat cant really be buffed.

I wouldn't, and they probably put a clear coat over the top that can be polished. My last job we had the largest powder coating facility in Europe, the lads in the paint shop wouldn't PC aluminium because of the implications in doing so. If you look at factory wheels they are painted with a base, colour and clear coat system, not powder coated.
    Yeah I mean from my limited experience with it, it didnt hold up very well at all. 

I imagine whatever reacted and or caused the haze did so in the top coat that must have been applied over the black powder coat or what not. 

Hence the ability to almost be able to buff it back to gloss.. but as soon as water or moisture touched it, it came back. It was bizarre. 

They all market it as more durable than paint these alloy refurbers.. I've since bought new wheels that came from the factory in black and havent had an issue. Theyre matte but they must be paint. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    skunkwerx said:
    robgilmo said:
    skunkwerx said:
    robgilmo said:
    skunkwerx said:

What did he do? 

Yeah I mean from my limited experience with it, it didnt hold up very well at all. 

I imagine whatever reacted and or caused the haze did so in the top coat that must have been applied over the black powder coat or what not. 

Hence the ability to almost be able to buff it back to gloss.. but as soon as water or moisture touched it, it came back. It was bizarre. 

They all market it as more durable than paint these alloy refurbers.. I've since bought new wheels that came from the factory in black and havent had an issue. Theyre matte but they must be paint. 
    Any powder coating isnt as good as paint in my experience, anything at all goes wrong in the prep work and it will show up at a later stage, aluminium needs an etch primer, it doesnt take any kind of coating very well. Powder coating steel is also a tough cookie, it needs blasted clean then stripped of any dust and chemicals, grease , oils etc, it basically has to be super clean. Im really not a fan of powder coating.
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    Think you would want to clean dust, chemicals, grease and oil off for paint too to be fair. 
    Think you would want to clean dust, chemicals, grease and oil off for paint too to be fair. 
    You sure would. I coach painted my Land Rover in an enamel coach paint (Tekaloid) and the finish was lovely, took forever to do, I used a brush and managed to get a mirror finish on most of it, very deep clear shine on it. That was I suppose very close to a powder coating in that it couldn't be polished, didn't take well to sanding flat, it went matt after around 8 years or so and any kind of polish, wax, etc damaged it. At least with paint you can sand and polish to bring back a shine.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    What I noticed is plastic coating on sign posts and things like that. Bit of damage, the rust gets underneath and the whole thing's knackered.