First shave in 20 years nooby question

What's Hot

Comments

• DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7171
    Phillips one blade when I’m in a hurry and a straight razor a couple of times a week when I have time to do it properly. It’s actually really relaxing if you have the time to properly focus on doing it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    I used to wet shave, there is something really pleasing about the process. That was over 20 years ago, I've been stubble ever since - apart from once about 10 years ago when I went mad and shaved. I looked like a raw chicken - hideous! Never again!

I'm not very hairy, so I only get the trimmer out every couple of weeks.
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    Ive been using multi blades for years, 2 or 3 times per week depending on what was going on at work.  Recently Ive found that they are lasting less and less time as they clog easily so after some research am switching to a straight razor.  Im looking forward to dicing with death on a regular basis. 

• I changed to single blade safety razor quite a number of years ago because gillette multi-blades gave me quite a bit of irritation and a rash. Also the cost is ridiculous. 
    If you take the time to learn how to use a single blade you can get a better shave, just as quickly and no irritation or cuts.  I would say it took me a month of shaving every other day to get comfortable.
    Once you make the initial investment in the razor the costs are minimal. I use a brush and shaving soap but find that King of Shaves does just as good a job.

A bit like guitars there are endless choices of equipment and accessories and you could spend a lot of time discussing gear on forums. Don't go to the 'Shaving Haven' though - it is not about shaving your face.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24807
    edited April 2019
    Every other day for me - I grow an unconvincing beard....

Cheap three blade disposable razor with Sainsbury’s shaving gel for sensitive skin. Done it this morning - and exfoliated. I feel fresh as a daisy....
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 486
    brucegill said:
    I use an Edwin Jagger DE89 razor with Astra blades.

A proper razor. 

Closer than a disposable or a fusion wotsit, And the blades cost pennies.
    ^ this

if you are going to shave, get a proper razor and save a ton on blades!

Are they substantially more face slicey?
    There's a bit of a learning curve but after a few goes I'd think you'll cut yourself far less than with a disposable. 

It's not just the razor though - you'll want to be using shaving cream/soap and brush rather than canned foam for the best results. There are sites dedicated to how to shave "properly".

Disclaimer - I've had a beard for 5 years and used a beard trimmer to keep my stubble short for a long time before that. My neck is incredibly sensitive and any sort of wet shave causes a lot of irritation but the safety razor and shaving cream approach caused significantly less than any other method.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • kossofffankossofffan Frets: 549
    Quite enjoy the whole traditional shave with a Merkur 34C double edge safety razor and Bluebeards Revenge cream. I buy the blades in sets of 100, so become cheap enough to only use once. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Electro_HamElectro_Ham Frets: 102
    I shave probably around 4 or 5 times a week. I use Gillette Mk3 turbo (I think) replacement heads and King of Shaves shaving gel. Sometimes King of Shaves Oil before applying the gel.
    I'm a tight git, so one razor head lasts me about 1.5-2 months. Basically, =) whenever the blades start to pull at the hair.....and then about 2 weeks after that.
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4136
    Hate shaving. Have sensitive skin. 

So I keep a very short beard, and use a beard trimmer at a set (short) length when it gets a bit straggly. 

• LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    Last time I shaved properly was November 2013.. it was cold. 

Mrs.L has stated she would rather I go bald than shave. 
  • FastEddieFastEddie Frets: 535
    I've gone to the Harry's razor brand. Really nice and well priced. Sharp and easy to use. A useful top blade for trimming. 
    My eldest boys, both soldiers, use the Million Dollar shave club. Never heard of it but they love it.

I do have sensitive skin and the aloe moisturiser they sell is awesome.

I have ginger hair and can get away with a shave every three days. Or daily if my wife get's frisky!
    If I had talent, I'd be talented.
    Red meat and functional mushrooms.
    Persistent and inconsistent guitar player.
    A lefty, hence a fog of permanent frustration

Not enough guitars, pedals, and cricket bats.
    USA Deluxe Strat - Martyn Booth Special - Electromatic
    FX Plex - Cornell Romany
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    I shave my beard off about four times a year and sport a tash whilst it grows back. I quite like that clean feeling but my chin looks grey and jowly. I have had a couple of barber shave in the past and they would almost last a week,quite amazing the difference between that and using my electric. But if I had to shave every day just an electric would be fine as it doesn’t require any skill. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    edited April 2019
    Electric workdays (Braun), and wet (Gillette G3) occasionally when it gets straggly

EDIT - wet with King of Shaves gel
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12370
    If you do go back to electric, it takes a while for your skin to adjust and toughen up. You’ll probably find you get shaving rash for at least the first few weeks. Wet shaving is much kinder. 
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    edited April 2019

My first impression is how can people actually be arsed to do this every day, it's properly tedious.
    So total noob survey how regularly do you guys shave and how many shaves do you reuse a disposable razor for?
    #1 -- It absolutely doesn't have to be tedious.  You can do the whole shave, properly, in about a minute.  As in, about 60 seconds.**
    #2 -- Re-use depends a bit on the razor and a bit on how regularly you shave, and whether you are growing a beard made of fairy down or Kevlar.  If you shave daily the razor seems to last longer before it's too dull.  I'll easily get five days out of a 4 or 5 bladed disposable; about two or three shaves out of a 2 bladed Bic. 

** There is so much guff and bollocks about shaving that is little more than advertising psychology that we've bought into. Screw your skeptical hat on tight and if you can be arsed spend some time browsing Amazon, YouTube etc. and, no surprise it's all about selling us stuff -- including the ideas that shaving has to be performed according to old rituals with special equipment.  The imagery is fascinating and connects with our values of self-worth.  But definitely bollocks.
    Shaving is simple. 
  • GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2637
    Safety razor with soap and brush - it was a Christmas present from the wife, who was glad to be able to get me something something slightly fancy for a change - using Feather blades (Japanese and insanely sharp). Generally I use that once a week after the weekend, and I use an electric the rest of the time. 

I got a hundred of the blades, which last me a few weeks only using them once a week (the first time is amazingly smooth, and I really should take more care of them) for about twenty quid. That was a few years ago, though, maybe the bulk razor blade import business has dropped off. Some of them offer sample packs - five each of several different types - to find a favourite. 

It is actually possible to get shaving GAS. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11449
    I'm bearded these days but used to shave.  A lot of stuff has already been said.  Assuming you are wet shaving, I would go for a gel rather than foam or oil.

Oil is nice but can clog up the razor, especially if you use a multi-blade one and are too tight to change it very often.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14434
    I haven't had a wet shave in about 20 years
    Prepare to see a potato in the mirror.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3907
    edited April 2019
    It's a case of having to in my case. RPE (breathing mask) HSE regs. Shave 5 days a week and have a growth on weekends.

I buy the 'decent' disposables (like 3 for a fiver) and one lasts me 3 weeks. Wet shave in the shower, no cream or gel required.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14434
    Deadman said:
    RPE (breathing mask) HSE regs. 
    Is that a particle filter mask or yer actual positive pressure air-fed breathing apparatus?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.