Is tone in your hands or equipments?

What's Hot
12346»

Comments

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    edited April 2019
    ICBM said:
    John_A said:

Still think you are missing the point.  It’s not the fact that Steve Vai couldn’t make it sound like that with a strat and a twin, it’s the fact that Joe average couldn’t get it with a Carvin Legacy, ds1 and a Jem 
    They'd get the tone, or very close - just not be able to play it like him.

Listen to the video in the OP again. The kids all do sound slightly different from each other when they're playing the Strat, because the actual tone *is* dependent on the player to some extent, when you hear it clean. Less so on the Les Paul, and they all pretty much sound exactly the same on the ESP... and completely different from the Strat.

The *tone* is mostly in the gear. The technique is in the player.
    My interpretation is ‘tone’ in this context is the final sound that comes out, a combination of gear and technique, I’ve heard plenty of renditions of For the Love of God that don’t sound like Vai, even though the giotar sound is close enough 

yes the kids all sound a bit different, but a great player would have sounded noticeably more so  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    John_A said:
    ICBM said:
    John_A said:

Still think you are missing the point.  It’s not the fact that Steve Vai couldn’t make it sound like that with a strat and a twin, it’s the fact that Joe average couldn’t get it with a Carvin Legacy, ds1 and a Jem 
    They'd get the tone, or very close - just not be able to play it like him.

Listen to the video in the OP again. The kids all do sound slightly different from each other when they're playing the Strat, because the actual tone *is* dependent on the player to some extent, when you hear it clean. Less so on the Les Paul, and they all pretty much sound exactly the same on the ESP... and completely different from the Strat.

The *tone* is mostly in the gear. The technique is in the player.
    My interpretation is ‘tone’ in this context is the final sound that comes out, a combination of gear and technique, I’ve heard plenty of renditions of For the Love of God that don’t sound like Vai, even though the giotar sound is close enough 

yes the kids all sound a bit different, but a great player would have sounded noticeably more so  
    You could prove your point by recording a short demo where you set up any guitar and amp combo then play the same phrase, or even just a note, in different ways that changes the tone and then we could hear how much the tone changes.
    John_A said:
    roberty said:
    Philtre said:
    Fretwired said:

take delays away from the Edge and you'd get ........
    ...Close to the Edge....

Down by a river,
    Not right away, not right away...
    Doesn't have to be a memory man into an AC30 though. I'm sure he could pull it off with a DD-3 into an jazz chorus or whatever. A lot of it is how you dial it in - does that count as fingers?
    A lot of Edges sound is the man himself, I’ve heard lots of people, with all the gear that get close but not quite there
    Really? I've heard everyone who's ever demoed a delay pedal sound exactly the same lol
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4226
    thegummy said:
    John_A said:
    roberty said:
    Philtre said:
    Fretwired said:

take delays away from the Edge and you'd get ........
    ...Close to the Edge....

Down by a river,
    Not right away, not right away...
    Doesn't have to be a memory man into an AC30 though. I'm sure he could pull it off with a DD-3 into an jazz chorus or whatever. A lot of it is how you dial it in - does that count as fingers?
    A lot of Edges sound is the man himself, I’ve heard lots of people, with all the gear that get close but not quite there
    Really? I've heard everyone who's ever demoed a delay pedal sound exactly the same lol
    A lot of Edge's sound is in the man's hands. It's just the the man in question is John Martyn.... :;

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    edited April 2019
    Every time I read this thread, I can't help but think that it gets sillier and sillier. And the premise is silly. In fact, what I want to say is that this thread is completely silly, is a silly troll post, and a complete waste of fucking time. But I won't say that, because that's just contributing to the silliness.

Philtre said:
    Every time I read this thread, I can't help but think that it gets sillier and sillier. And the premise is silly. In fact, what I want to say is that this thread is completely silly, is a silly troll post, and a complete waste of fucking time. But I won't say that, because that's just contributing to the silliness.
    You're silly
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    edited April 2019
    thegummy said:
    Philtre said:
    You're silly
    Say "silly" over and over. Keep saying the word "silly". In the end, the word itself sounds...silly.

Now the question is, is silliness in your hands or your equipments?