Avengers Spoiler contained dont read unless seen

What's Hot

Comments

• BebopperBebopper Frets: 129
    The Spiderman: Far From Home trailer is out now. Confirmation that it is in fact set AFTER the events of Endgame and Marvel are opening up the MCU to the multiverse.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26606

As with so many time trip films there's disconnected elements and paradoxes everywhere.  They disolved Thanos from a decade or so ago, so why do they know to go and stop him doing the stuff he did after...

A brain off FX epic only.
    Having watched the "Far From Home" trailer, I suspect that there's going to be a certain amount of exposition in there which addresses the timey-wimey weirdness in Endgame.

Endgame's time paradoxes do make sense, as long as you cater for the exception - Cap's return to the past and existence in the main timeline, which is likely explained by use of the time stone (which, unlike use of the quantum realm, can make changes to the current timeline).
    <space for hire>
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27027
    I think it's important to remember they did explain in the movie that "it doesn't work like BTTF", thus conveniently sidestepping causality with a simple handwave of "we don't really understand and it's not that important". 

Not that it will stop the fanboys bitching for years to come... 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264

I enjoyed Endgame. A good film. Thought it was a little bit slow at first, and I found it slightly hard going, certainly bleak, but it didn't feel like 3 hours at all.

Here's a thing: this infinity gauntlet. Why is it that you have to snap your fingers to make stuff happen? Ah I get it - so you can have Captain Marvel stopping you of course! That was a bit daft, the need to snap the fingers.

It will be interesting to see where they take the MCU next. Far From Home looks good, and I didn't like Homecoming at all. Weak film. Was more like Beverly Hills 90210 than Marvel.

A word on Hulk: in our house, we all agreed, he has been RUBBISH since Ragnarok. Yeah, I get the whole Prof Hulk storyline, but I don't really like it.

Also, Vision. From being a hardarse, smartarse, he became a right weed.

Snap said:

There seems to be a subtext throughout the MCU - if you fall in love, Bad Things happen.

Tony - finally settling down, has a family, dies.
    Vision - sneaking off with Wanda to have Feelings, dies.
    Thor - falls in love with She Who Shall Not Be Named, mum dies, dad dies, gets the crap beaten out of him by his sister, loses his hammer, loses an eye, brother dies etc
    Cap - Falls in love, gets buried in the ice. Admittedly he gets there in the end, but she dies years before him.
    Hawkeye - has a secret family, they get dusted, then to bring them back his best friend dies in front of him.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1655
    Snap said:

There seems to be a subtext throughout the MCU - if you fall in love, Bad Things happen.

Thor - falls in love with She Who Shall Not Be Named, mum dies, dad dies, gets the crap beaten out of him by his sister, loses his hammer, loses an eye, brother dies etc
    Cap - Falls in love, gets buried in the ice. Admittedly he gets there in the end, but she dies years before him.
    Hawkeye - has a secret family, they get dusted, then to bring them back his best friend dies in front of him.
    She Who Shall Not Be Named,?? Have I forgotten something??
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

Snap said:

She Who Shall Not Be Named,?? Have I forgotten something??
    Jane Foster - Natalie Portman refused to be involved in the MCU because they sacked her favourite director.
    <space for hire>
    I knew who you were referring to.. but not the whyfor...   she was at the funeral if I recall?
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

I knew who you were referring to.. but not the whyfor...   she was at the funeral if I recall?
    Nope, not to my recollection. If she was, I wouldn't be surprised if they gave her the CGI treatment.
    <space for hire>
    Nope, not to my recollection. If she was, I wouldn't be surprised if they gave her the CGI treatment.
    I've checked.. neither her or Stellan were in attendance..
    My trading feedback

• danodano Frets: 1593
    I seem to remember from one of the GOTG films that only certain people in the MCU can hold the infinity stones, maybe it's the first one as someone gets killed by one ? They explain Starlord can as he's the son of a God.  

But in Endgame every superhero and his dog is holding them. 
    edited May 2019
    Told ya

If you watch the Ultron scene closely, you can clearly see that he's not gripping the hammer particularly hard, and his hands slip.
    <space for hire>
  • MonkeyboneMonkeybone Frets: 261
    Here's a thing, Thanos got the dwarf dude to make the gauntlet, and it was the only thing capable of containing the power of the stones, yet in Endgame, Tony's replacement gauntlet and his own suit (both vibranium) can withstand the power... 

My band - Crimson on Silver  For sale - Blackstar HT-5S

Gear - Guitars, amps, effects and shizz. Edited for Phil_aka_Pip, who is allergic to big long lists.

Here's a thing, Thanos got the dwarf dude to make the gauntlet, and it was the only thing capable of containing the power of the stones, yet in Endgame, Tony's replacement gauntlet and his own suit (both vibranium) can withstand the power... 
    That's not entirely unexpected. The dwarves made the gauntlet the same way that Mjolnir and Stormbreaker were constructed - through mystical means. A big theme of the MCU is that mystical stuff is just a different type of technology, not better or worse and largely capable of achieving the same goals; therefore, it's not surprising that Tony (the MCU's greatest technological mind) can make something using his tech to do the same job, particularly given that he's been studying the stones and their housings (the sceptre, the Tesseract, Vision etc) for years.
    <space for hire>
  • MonkeyboneMonkeybone Frets: 261
    That's not entirely unexpected. The dwarves made the gauntlet the same way that Mjolnir and Stormbreaker were constructed - through mystical means. A big theme of the MCU is that mystical stuff is just a different type of technology, not better or worse and largely capable of achieving the same goals; therefore, it's not surprising that Tony (the MCU's greatest technological mind) can make something using his tech to do the same job, particularly given that he's been studying the stones and their housings (the sceptre, the Tesseract, Vision etc) for years.
    Fair point. 

My band - Crimson on Silver  For sale - Blackstar HT-5S

Gear - Guitars, amps, effects and shizz. Edited for Phil_aka_Pip, who is allergic to big long lists.

• olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    I still don't understand why Captain Marvel couldn't use the infinity stones one more time to bring Tony back to life. She is basically powered by an infinity stone, so she should be able to use them. 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24291
    I still don't understand why Captain Marvel couldn't use the infinity stones one more time to bring Tony back to life. She is basically powered by an infinity stone, so she should be able to use them. 
    Because RDJ had a percentage based increase in his contract - went up loads every film.

Captain Marvel couldn't afford him anymore.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11771
    Yes that was my thought as well.

Plus it also handily explains how Tony grabs the stones, the glove is Iron Man tech, it will respond to Tony.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12902

I didn't buy into the deep friendship / platonic love between Black Widow and Hawkeye during the soul stone sequence - I didn't notice in previous films that they were particularly close friends.

---wait, what?? Not sure how anyone could have missed that to be honest. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom