Avengers Spoiler contained dont read unless seen

What's Hot

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24584
    FarleyUK said:

Don't quite get the Mjolnir / Cap thing; so he was always 'worthy'? But doesn't that take away from Thor?
    No more so than Vision wielding Mjolnir in Age of Ultron did.

If anything, it builds Cap up even more - it shows that in Age of Ultron, he could've lifted it but he realised that Thor's insecurities meant that he shouldn't.
    I think you are reading too much into that.

At that point I don't think Cap could have lifted it. I think it was a plot device to confirm that other beings might be worthy and that Cap was close but not close enough - it then made Vision lifting it more of a powerful event 10 mins later.

It's a plot device, not a Cap being nice device.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26736
    FarleyUK said:

Don't quite get the Mjolnir / Cap thing; so he was always 'worthy'? But doesn't that take away from Thor?
    No more so than Vision wielding Mjolnir in Age of Ultron did.

If anything, it builds Cap up even more - it shows that in Age of Ultron, he could've lifted it but he realised that Thor's insecurities meant that he shouldn't.
    I think you are reading too much into that.

At that point I don't think Cap could have lifted it. I think it was a plot device to confirm that other beings might be worthy and that Cap was close but not close enough - it then made Vision lifting it more of a powerful event 10 mins later.

It's a plot device, not a Cap being nice device.
    The way I see it...it wasn't Cap being nice. The fact that he did that is a part of the whole reason that he was worthy in the first place.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Hang on a minute...

They sent Cap back with all the Infinity Stones.

Not the Aether, the Tesseract and Loki's sceptre.

How on earth is he supposed to turn the stones back into those things without whatever made them in the first place? If he doesn't, he hasn't restored the timeline.
    <space for hire>
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27196
    edited April 2019
    Hang on a minute...

They sent Cap back with all the Infinity Stones.

Not the Aether, the Tesseract and Loki's sceptre.

How on earth is he supposed to turn the stones back into those things without whatever made them in the first place? If he doesn't, he hasn't restored the timeline.
    IIRC Tilda said it was the presence of the stones that was holding the universe together, so the key thing wasn't to restore the precise timeline, just to get the stones back into existence at the right times/places so the universe didn't fall apart. 

That said, they were clearly playing massive liberties with causality, and quite excellently nerfed all the fanboy complaints with the explicit "No, it doesn't work like Back to the Future, dummy" conversation :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

That said, they were clearly playing massive liberties with causality, and quite excellently nerfed all the fanboy complaints with the explicit "No, it doesn't work like Back to the Future, dummy" conversation :)
    Ironically, the Ancient One's explanation was actually pretty similar to the on in Back to the Future :D
    <space for hire>
  • GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2644
    As far as I can tell, if there were such a thing as time travel, it would work like Endgame rather than Back to the Future. I refer you to Dr David Deutsch, the world's foremost expert on time travel. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6_gxoLwrWw

I assume he was saying the same things in 1992. Otherwise I'll have to go back and change his mind. 

Did they explain what a complete absence of any time stones at all would do to our universe? Is it just a balance thing?

I enjoyed the film a lot. I agree that I'm less invested in the next generation apart from the Guardians of the Galaxy, and this would be a perfectly satisfactory ending point. Perhaps I should go and watch films for grown-ups now. 
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11875

I'm looking forward to that being a comic relief in Avengers 5!
    One interesting thing I realised after watching Endgame - I'm not sure I'll bother watching the MCU films after this. The newer characters don't interest me as much as the ones who're leaving, and I'm really not sure they ever will.

The trouble is that while the Guardians films will probably be quite good (I never thought they were as good as lots of folk were making out), and as much as I'd like to follow Thor's story (assuming he continues with them)...to get the full context, I think all the films are necessary and I don't think I'll have the will to continue with that.
    I'd sort of made a mental note to see every Marvel film in the cinema until the day I die, if possible.

I've seen Endgame twice already, I adored it!
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27196
    I don't feel so invested in the new guard either, but then I didn't care much about Cap till Winter Soldier, Iron Man till Avengers and Thor till Ragnarok. 

As long as they're still entertaining, well-written movies, I'll still go see them.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    I don't feel so invested in the new guard either, but then I didn't care much about Cap till Winter Soldier, Iron Man till Avengers and Thor till Ragnarok. 

As long as they're still entertaining, well-written movies, I'll still go see them.
    The thing is, the MCU up to this point has been lightning-in-a-bottle. I can't see any way that they could possibly do it again, without the weight of expectation...but that expectation will build up so much that there's no way they can satisfy it.
    <space for hire>

The thing is, the MCU up to this point has been lightning-in-a-bottle. I can't see any way that they could possibly do it again, without the weight of expectation...but that expectation will build up so much that there's no way they can satisfy it.
    Not long to find out if they have still got it, Spiderman: Far From Home is out in July.

It seems like we get a much looser slate for a couple of years though, I don't think there are any firm releases for 2020, so we will maybe be missing the MCU when they come back.

An MCU re-launch for Fantastic Four and X-Men will no doubt appear at some point in the future.

Early rumours suggest that Dark Phoenix isn't much better than Apocalypse, so it's likely it will be a few years until we see them again.

Mind you, if Sony can make "Marvel" films as good as "Into the Spiderverse" and maybe even a "Venom" sequel (as in reality the critics were too hard on a film that well cast) they should be worth paying attention to as well.

And there is always DC... ;)
  • MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
    DrJazzTap said:
    I saw this yesterday, nice to go into a film not knowing everything (although I did know about Prof Hulk and the quantum realm time travel stuff- set photos). My own fault for looking online beforehand.
    I had no idea about Hulk, so that was nice. I didn't know the quantum thing, but assumed it would be the obvious thing after Antman 2.

I was slightly surprised Nat didn't re-appear on the timeywimeydevicey at the end - I would have been asking for her back in return for giving the soul stone back to mr Skull there. But I was very happy with Steve's end. And still plenty of room to have him back later via the de-oldenator if they decide they'd like some more OG Captain America action.
    Nat (or anyone) to died for the soul stone is a 1 way ticket.

Gamora that returned in the end is the Gamora in Guardians of tghe Galaxy 1, and her character basically went through the mental ride in that movie in this film in the last 45mins.  She is not the Gamora that died for the Soul Stone.

I guess they could go back in time and pluck another Black Widow forward in time, but then it will alter the timeline in that universe completely.
    As I recall, Gamora, Pip (the troll) and Adam Warlock were all resident in the Soul Gem for a period of time after a battle (with Thanos?  Magus?) - and were restored happily to new bodies.  Massive comic collection is in my loft, and can't be bothered checking...

I did like the film, but given the massive praise heaped upon it by the critics I kinda expected more.  I'm not sure how much more, but it just seemed a bit of a rollercoaster.  I think I'll have to watch it a couple more times for it all to go in.

I was also thinking about holding the gems, and the effect it had on various life forms in the MCU - it does seem inconsistent.

Anyone spot the kid at the end in the funeral scene?  I saw something online earlier today suggesting that it was the boy from Iron Man 3, the one who helped Tony Stark (The Engineer) when he was stranded.  That's quite a nice story arc if he becomes a new Iron Man.
    Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
  • MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
    Oh, and I'm a little disappointed at the lack of Adam Warlock, although I know that the introduction of a new, supercharged hero/villain in a final film of a genre could be problematic.  I reckon he'll be in GOTG3.
    Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
    MrBump said:
    Oh, and I'm a little disappointed at the lack of Adam Warlock, although I know that the introduction of a new, supercharged hero/villain in a final film of a genre could be problematic.  I reckon he'll be in GOTG3.
    They set up that he was at the end of GOTG2.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MonkeyboneMonkeybone Frets: 275
    I'm guessing the hammering at the very end was a throwback to the first Iron Man, where Tony's making the Mark 1 armour in the cave. 

My band - Crimson on Silver  For sale - Blackstar HT-5S

Gear - Guitars, amps, effects and shizz. Edited for Phil_aka_Pip, who is allergic to big long lists.

I'm guessing the hammering at the very end was a throwback to the first Iron Man, where Tony's making the Mark 1 armour in the cave. 
    Not just a throwback - it's the actual audio from the original film.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • danodano Frets: 1595
    Watched it this morning, what a great film. 

I'm interested in what happened to Loki, he vanishes with the stone so will he come back In Avengers 5 ?
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3325
    dano said:
    Watched it this morning, what a great film. 

I'm interested in what happened to Loki, he vanishes with the stone so will he come back In Avengers 5 ?
    I wondered that I guess he isn't dead anymore.....
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24584
    Loki tv series is filming soon.

Thats where he is going.
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2940
    Saw the film today and seriously underwhelmed.  Thought it was overly long and I really couldn't get behind any of the characters.  It could easily have been an hour shorter without losing much.  I thought the Star Wars trailer was the best bit.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 992
    Saw the film today and seriously underwhelmed.  Thought it was overly long and I really couldn't get behind any of the characters.  It could easily have been an hour shorter without losing much.  I thought the Star Wars trailer was the best bit.
    Trailer?  Don't you mean use of props and story lines (or was it just LoTR revisited)?

Pretty sure there's a star destroyer or two in there, the ships and wrecks from Alien, a new issue centurian from BSG...

As with so many time trip films there's disconnected elements and paradoxes everywhere.  They disolved Thanos from a decade or so ago, so why do they know to go and stop him doing the stuff he did after...

A brain off FX epic only.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom