Guitarists that have left you speechless

What's Hot
mark_jwedgemark_jwedge Frets: 318
Over the years I have been to countless gigs, often with my dad as he remains as obsessed with guitar at approaching 70 years old as he did when he first picked it up. Consequently we have seen probably hundreds of really great guitar players but there are a few that have rendered us both slack jawed and turning to look at each other in disbelief followed by weeks of talking about the gig, listening to them and trying to steal as much from their playing as possible. Thinking about it the list would be:

Steve Vai on the very first G3 tour
Tommy Emmanuel 
Richie Kotzen
Matt Schofield
Mark Tremonti on the first Alter Bridge tour
John Petruci
Joe Bonamassa before the days of the massive corporate machine
JD Simo

looking forward to Joey Landreth and Chris Buck next month.

So who are the guitarists that completely blew you away when you first saw them live?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72677
    Neil Young

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • riverciderrivercider Frets: 461
    Vernon Reid
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • riverciderrivercider Frets: 461
    edited April 2019
    Oh and Stevie Ray, but sadly never got to see him play live. Sorry if that misses the point of the OP, but I nearly saw him when he came over.....and his live stuff always floors me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Robbie Fulks.
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4327

Antoine Dufour

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 1031
    John 5 :)
  • Stuart Braithwaite
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Quite a few PRS players have left me unable to speak through use of novocane
    19reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6835

Nuno
    Vernon Reid
    BB King
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • Holdsworth. And not just the 1st time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12422
    John Squire and Johnny Greenwood stand out as great players that I've seen live.  I've seen pink floyd (not with Dave Gilmour) and REM at massive concerts but their playing loses a bit of magic on that sized scale for me.  The whole of Gomez impressed me they each played virtually every instrument at some point.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OnparOnpar Frets: 418
    JD Simo
    John Mayer
    Ariel Posan
    BB King
    Buddy Guy

All left me speachless for different reasons.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrleon83mrleon83 Frets: 201
    Nuno Bettencourt... Alterbridge... devin townsend acoustic show in london was incredible ...( this show https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uEz8dCHSQU )
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4207
    Holdsworth, Beck, Metheny and David Torn spring to mind 
  • ewalewal Frets: 2616
    Rarely separate out the individual guitarist from the band. But Alan Sparhawk and Jonsi are perhaps noteable exceptions
  • StinkfootStinkfoot Frets: 74
    Was lucky enough to see SRV when I was still a teenager and that made a huge impression. 
    I also saw a jam band at a Nashville nightclub in the 90s made up of various top notch session musos. Brent Mason was the bandleader and he was just jaw droppingly good. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23158

Going back a long way, Vernon Reid, Ty Tabor.  Frank Hannon of Tesla.  Maybe Vivian Campbell on the first Dio tour.

I remember seeing Extreme supported by Saigon Kick and although Jason Bieler's not a better player than Nuno he certainly sounded better.

And a non guitar player - John Paul Jones on bass (and lap steel).  With Nick Beggs in his band.  That was utterly amazing.

• dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    Beck and Robben Ford probably
  • Can't remember the exact line up at the time but in 2005 i saw Captain Beefheart's Magic Band (minus DVV) live.  Easily the best live band i've ever encountered.  Played for hours even though they were all pushing 70 and had more energy and vivality than any other band ive seen a a third of their age.

Also saw Peter Green live late 90's.  Wasn't vintage stuff and don't think he was physically and mentally near the top of his game but he still made his instrument sing in a special way.

Aside from that i haven't memorably been blown away by anyone in particular but theres a regular touring tribute band in the UK called The Classic Rock Show and they play the songs better than the originals.  One guy in particular called Howie G.  Probably the best axeman i've witnessed in the flesh. 
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1393
    edited April 2019
    hmm, technically, I suppose the shredders. Though I'm not really into it, I admire the skill. Being able to use that skill to write a memorable song, even better.
    John Butler doing Ocean always floors me. The guys in Mastodon.
    I do admire guitarists who use the instrument to come up with sonic textures. Can't think of any that would really leave me speechless, but I suppose what Mogwai, or Radiohead would do with their guitars and more so, their pedals. Also TV on the Radio seem to be able to make a wall of noise with their guitars.
    I always admire a guy called Jeff Lang. There's a good video of him talking about his setup, a clever way to get new sounds out of an acoustic and some pedals. He's also a great player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaSYKzQVY64