Guitarists that have left you speechless

What's Hot

Comments

• Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    Albert Lee
    BB King
    Buddy Guy
    Keith Richards / Ronnie Wood - Incredible together!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    edited April 2019
    Been many, but "walked out stunned" - Jeff Beck, Michael Schenker (both times, with 28 yr gap), Gary Moore (multiple times) and JD Simo.

Thinking about it, I wanted to add Rory Gallagher, SRV and EVH but funnily enough they were just amazing
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8831
    Too many to particularise, but the individual that immediately springs to mind is Michael Hampton, aka Kidd Funkadelic rattling off Maggot Brain. 

The rest of my guitar life has been a pale shadow after those 11 minutes :D
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17852
    tFB Trader
    Thanks to this thread I just checked out JD Simo.

I usually find modern blues incredibly dull, but he really impressed me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rauldukeraulduke Frets: 81
    James Dean Bradfield is always massively impressive. He is a very underrated guitarist IMO. Doing it all while singing lead vocal as well to boot.

The one for me who really stood out above all others is Neil Young.

Ol' Shaky playing his electric rig live at full pelt was an experience I'll never forget (his Like a Hurricane solos were something else).

Seen Radiohead a few times and Jonny Greenwood is always brilliant, but I think Radiohead are more a sum of parts/players rather than one standout.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HerrMetalHerrMetal Frets: 548
    Some already mentioned. Ritchie Blackmore, Gary Moore, Michael Schenker, Bernie Torme . Lots more if I thought about it for longer.
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    Peter Green
    J D Simo
    Dimebag
    Alex Skolnick
    Dave Mustaine

the list could go on and on
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33898
    David Torn
    Charlie Hunter
    Derek Trucks
    Holdsworth
    Emily Remler
    Tuck Andress
    Jim Hall
    Jim Campilongo
    Bonnie Raitt
    Django
    John McLaughlin
    Oz Noy
    Mike Stern
    Julian Lage

Derek Trucks is the only one who had me seriously questioning whether I bother continuing to play.
    He is the most soulful player alive.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1625
    edited April 2019
    JerkMoans said:
    Too many to particularise, but the individual that immediately springs to mind is Michael Hampton, aka Kidd Funkadelic rattling off Maggot Brain. 

The rest of my guitar life has been a pale shadow after those 11 minutes D

I saw him with George Clinton years ago at Brixton Academy.  Stratocaster and a nappy!  I was busting for the loo, several minutes into a long solo. Took me ages to work my way through the crowd to the gents.  After the long walk back again he was still playing the same solo!

Edit: Maybe that's why he wears the nappy?  Should have thought of it myself.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8831
    JerkMoans said:

The rest of my guitar life has been a pale shadow after those 11 minutes D

I saw him with George Clinton years ago at Brixton Academy.  Stratocaster and a nappy!  I was busting for the loo, several minutes into a long solo. Took me ages to work my way through the crowd to the gents.  After the long walk back again he was still playing the same solo!

Edit: Maybe that's why he wears the nappy?  Should have thought of it myself.

Toss-up between a LOL and a Wis :D
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • McSwaggertyMcSwaggerty Frets: 663
    Jeff Beck,  every single time...…..
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5097
    Tommy Emmanuel.
    Albert Lee.
    Joe Bo.
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • Joe Pass
    I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
  • mortmort Frets: 720
    Aerial Bender
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 973
    Paco de Lucia

Django Rheinhart

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1417
    Some of the flamenco players are seriously talented. They can leave me speechless at times. Dentists. Now they really leave me speechless at times.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2176
    Holdsworth, I saw him three times. I remember a gig in Swindon and his chordal comping was mindblowing. And the other was Guthrie, I've never seen somebody so in control of a guitar.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3505
    Some of the flamenco players are seriously talented. They can leave me speechless at times. Dentists. Now they really leave me speechless at times.
    As a part time flamenco player, I'm familiar with a lot of players who the general guitarist are not familar with and there are a lot of great flamenco guitarists around who can manage to marry phenomenal technique with expression.  

Paco DeLucia is the most well known flamenco guitarist and probably for good reason, but there are many others. 

For classical guitar, Julian Bream seems to occupy a similar reputation and again deservedly so. 
  • randellarandella Frets: 4374
    edited April 2019
    maw4neu said:
    Stevie Ray Vaughan, even though I nearly threw my guitar in the bin after watching Live at the El Mocambo

Stick with it - on its 12,325th viewing it'll just about make you want to pick up your guitar instead of burn it.  But then when he does that trick in Voodoo Chile, one hand running down the G in a series of pulloffs, flips pickups halfway through and then lands it in a sickening open E pentatonic flurry, yeah.  Get the matches out.

Anyone mention Joe Satriani yet?  Saw him live after years of listening to his records, and was still banging on about it three weeks later.

The same for Dweezil Zappa on the last Zappa-Zappa tour.  Jesus wept that boy can *play*.

My non-guitary wife had a great time at both, with an honourable mention for Steve Vai who she's also taken me to see.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5009
    No player has ever made me speechless but the bass player with the Steely Dan show that played Dublin recently, impressed me greatly. He did not play ‘much’ but what he did was exactly what the song required. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum