What would persuade you to spend £20,000 on a guitar?

What's Hot

Comments

• if i had the money to spare then why not. imagine how impressed  the 15 drunk up punters down the dog  and duck on a saturday night would be as i play sex on fire on this fine instument 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1801
    Think 20k is not enough.
    Birth year guitar is 59 so that’s out
    over bliown gold dripping rare woods custom built to private stock would be a complete waste of money.

Hard to get a good vintage guitar that I like for that may be a good junior or special 

Suppose a really nice custom Acoustic from Bashkin would be a nice thing but such rarefied beasts are wasted on my acoustic skills but even just strummed and picked in a simple way, the few I have played had a certain something that was cathartic. would need to have strong elements of Koa and probably ooo style

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    If I had 20k spare I'd drop 2k on a guitar go out and spend a stack on hookers and beer anything left over I'd just waste away ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1269
    If I had so much money in the bank that £20,000 was insignificant and I really, really, really wanted it... :-)
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8800
    @peteri ‘s sale thread...
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    No, no fucking way. Not even with a Euromillions roll over. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6197
    Garthy said:
    Genuine question: that roll over gives you more money than you can spend in a lifetime, unless you go super-philanthropic, or find extravagant things to buy for you and yours (like that lovely old guitar).

Are you super-charitable, or do you have a third option in mind?

Is it coke/hookers again? ;)
  • Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 492
    I'd like to think my charitable side would kick in before I would spend 20k on any guitar. Its pretty hard to choose buying any guitar over helping someone who's life depended on/could be massively improved by it. Not very rock n roll that tho is it...
  • TedTed Frets: 126
    Fifty9 said:
    I'd like to think my charitable side would kick in before I would spend 20k on any guitar. Its pretty hard to choose buying any guitar over helping someone who's life depended on/could be massively improved by it. Not very rock n roll that tho is it...
    John Paul Getty the Ist was quite explicit on this point. He said that by taking care and being generous with his employees, suppliers and assocatiates he was implicitly being charitable towards society.

I should make it clear that I in way and have no immediate prospect of being in that or even close to that league. But if I had the opportunity to commission a £20k+ guitar, I like to think I would ensure that the chosen supplier payed a living wage, with holidays, and pensions. I would be a little concerned, however, if the supplier gave to much employment security to it's staff because it would more difficult for them to fire any luthier who F@@cks up my instrument.

• Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1393
    Nothing could persuade me. 
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Hookers with coke could persuade me.

I'll need more than 20k.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30951
    It would need to be formally owned by @HarrySeven - with provenence.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• Gassage said:
    It would need to be formally owned by @HarrySeven - with provenence.
    You should see the ones he informally owns!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24662
    20K isn't enough for me to get a brand new Fodera Anthony Jackson Presentation II bass. They are $35,000 (plus vat and import)

I don't think I would ever buy a bass guitar for 20K.

But I would spend that on a good double bass. But TBH 20K for a classical instrument is at the low end of the scale. Can easily drop 100K on a double bass.

• TedTed Frets: 126
    20K isn't enough for me to get a brand new Fodera Anthony Jackson Presentation II bass. They are $35,000 (plus vat and import)

I don't think I would ever buy a bass guitar for 20K.

But I would spend that on a good double bass. But TBH 20K for a classical instrument is at the low end of the scale. Can easily drop 100K on a double bass.

I think this is a good point.

Does anyone know why good classical instruments have to be more expensive than good popular music instruments? Is it because the note distinction in classical is more important than Pop?
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    If I had a stupid amount of money, I don't think that £20k would put me off. That said, I'm not entirely sure that, with my taste in guitars, that there's a guitar I'd like with that kind of price tag.
    How expensive do Jazzmasters get?
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    goldtop said:
    Garthy said:
    Genuine question: that roll over gives you more money than you can spend in a lifetime, unless you go super-philanthropic, or find extravagant things to buy for you and yours (like that lovely old guitar).

Are you super-charitable, or do you have a third option in mind?

Is it coke/hookers again? ;)
    I’d happily give tens of millions to Moorfields, 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5297
    boredom would make me do it
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    [Modmin hat on]

Just a nice gentle and subtle note to add in here. It's not lost on the mods that this thread started on exactly the same day that a classified listing was made for a guitar of this exact value. 

It's worth pointing out that, for the benefit of all of the community, we don't allow people to comment on adverts criticising price, or anything else - that has to be done through the flagging system for us to review. 

Now, to date, nobody has made any direct criticism of the advert listed in this thread - but, before it happens, please can everyone make sure that they read their posts before clicking the Post Comment button just to make sure that you aren't breaking the above rule. 

Ordinarily, these kinds of discussion would never warrant modmin attention unless something is flagged - but the fact that the amount in the title is exactly the same as a classified post made on the same day does rather suggest that the motivation for the thread came from that listing..

Please do be careful what you post - and be respectful of the fact that we allow all our members to post classifieds ads unchallenged if they are legitimate and advertised truthfully. That rule is there for the benefit of all of us. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom