Best stratty guitar under £300?

What's Hot
mrleon83mrleon83 Frets: 188
edited May 2019 in Guitar
Firstly, sorry , this question has probably been asked a million times before.. .I struggled to find one though? .... 

So, i've just committed to a new bass (being delivered Friday! woohoo) , so I have £300 left over and I feel like I need a Strat (ish guitar) in my life.. 

I did start a WTB thread but it was before I found the bass, and wanted to make sure of the cash left over (I'm being strict on myself to use no 'new' money on gear....)

If I sell the PRS, I'll probably just get a Vela.. but in the meantime , what would you go for and why?

Oh and ideally used .... 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14289
    tFB Trader
    I'd say take the used route - More guitar for the same bucks - I'm not going to say any specific model, as in reality you should not get a crap Strat for £300 - And regarding used I've not looked around to see what is available today 
  • mrleon83mrleon83 Frets: 188
    I'd say take the used route - More guitar for the same bucks - I'm not going to say any specific model, as in reality you should not get a crap Strat for £300 - And regarding used I've not looked around to see what is available today 
    Yeah, i'm looking at ebay far too much... I was thinking mexican strat, but in my head they seem a bit expensive (£250-350?)
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12389
    I suspect the most popular answer will be squier classic vibe used or vintage strats.  I bought a squier standard and upgraded tuners, electrics, saddles etc and was a lovely guitar if you are into modding.
  • TenebrousTenebrous Frets: 1332
    I hate to self-plug, but I highly doubt you'll find a better S-type guitar for 320.

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14289
    tFB Trader
    mrleon83 said:
    Yeah, i'm looking at ebay far too much... I was thinking mexican strat, but in my head they seem a bit expensive (£250-350?)
    should get  good Mex for that price - See if you can find one with any upgrades like p/ups etc
  • 5redlights5redlights Frets: 317
    £300 should get you a used MIM strat. A bit of lucky hunting might get you one of the used classic series 50s or 60s strats. 

£300 may also get you a used MIJ strat, something like a Fernandes or Tokai, if you look for collection only ones on ebay or local gumtree/facebook. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5279
    what a bout G&L tribute series, bit heavy but very nice for the money
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7204
    The Vintage V6s are nice if you want the classic Strat look and sound , as far as super Strats go I think I'd have to agree with @Tenebrous :-)
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540

£300 for a classic series would be a pretty good find - Ive been looking for a Classic Player for a while, and the cheapest Ive seen has been about £430. And the odd Classic Series labelled-as Classic Player.

From previous posts, it does seem that a Squier Classic Vibe is the way to go.

Adam

• BeardyAndyBeardyAndy Frets: 716
    Vintage V6 is a great looking guitar and if other Vintages' are anything to go by it'll play just as well but I'd still agree with the masses and buy a used MIM Fender, I have one (a Tele') and its my go to guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Tenebrous said:
    I hate to self-plug, but I highly doubt you'll find a better S-type guitar for 320.

I do keep eyeing that up.. I'm looking for classic singlecoil strat tones so I'm not sure if it quite fits...
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12389
    mgaw said:
    I had a tribute tele and it was excellent.
    munckee said:
    mgaw said:
    I'm watching a quite local G&L Tribute strat, what's a fair price for those ?
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    There have been some really nice Partscasters go for around that round these parts, even some with GSPBasses bodies & necks.
    Mental spec at that price point 
    mrleon83 said:
    munckee said:
    mgaw said:
    I'm watching a quite local G&L Tribute strat, what's a fair price for those ?
    £250-£300 maybe
    Cool, thanks for the suggestions so ...

MIM Fender
    Classic Vibe Squier
    G&L Tribute

As far as Fernandes/Tokai.. is there any discernible difference, I had a Tokai strat which I shouldn't have sold , and my childhood guitar was a Fernandes Les Paul.. so I know they're good quality ... and that feels like the way I may go.... 
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 323
    I have a Tribute ASAT. Fantastic guitar for the money. When I was shopping for mine (albeit 10 years ago), it was noticeably better than the MIM Fenders. I suspect that's not true now (better Fender quality control, etc), but they are certainly very good guitars.

The CVs are very good, but, if it was me, and a bridge 'bucker was OK, I'd also go for @Tenebrous 's Pacifica
  • Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    I've also had a G&L tribute ASAT and it was a bloody great guitar.  Really well made.  I've had a USA G&L as well and that was top banana too, don't have a single bad thing to say about G&L's, a superior alternative to a Squier and up there with the top end of the MIM Fenders IMO.
    edited May 2019
    So G&L, high praise indeed, I probably won’t be able to try before but, what makes them so good? I’m watching a (as per the advert) early 90s tribute, we’re they ok back then?
    yep I would say, I bought their strat tribute recently for a friends son, it was an earlyish one, heavy but excellently built, felt solid in a good way, very good pickups...good hardware, lovely neck...in my opinion, they feel more substantial than a lot of others in this price range and in my book that's a good thing for what that's worth